Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Hunted

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-03, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The Hunted

I couldn't find a thread about this movie already... I did a search for the word "hunted"... surprised... anyway - sorry if this is a duplicate.

I watched this tonight. I didn't like it. Tommy Lee Jones sucks. Benicio sucked too - and I usually like him. I laughed alot throughout the movie because it was stupid. Anyone else endure this? Who liked it?
Old 03-15-03, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gee, I guess you didn't like it, aye?

Looks like everyone is phoning it in here all across the board.

jones + del toro + friedkin = good film, right?

In todays hollywood, instead of, let's say, friedkin's best decade, the 1970's, everyone is after that almighty paycheck.
Old 03-15-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
"Hunt"ing for a Paycheck.

I haven't seen it, but honestly I had zero awareness of the movie till about last week. I go to the movies a lot and I hadn't seen a single trailer for the flick. And the commercials make it seem like The Fugitive Part 10
Old 03-15-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Del Toro + T.L. Jones + Friedkin + March Release =crap fest
Old 03-15-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmmmmmmm....i kinda liked it actually. thought the acting (but not jones and del toro's) could have been better but i liked the movie as whole. the ending was a little abrupt but overall i enjoyed the film. i thought it was better than today's average action movie...8/10
Old 03-15-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of the worst flicks ive seen in a long time,3/10
Old 03-16-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It looks terrible and plus it's 94 minutes.

To me that means they didn't have a lot of good film to string together.

Maybe I'll go see Monica Belluci in the new Bruce Willis flick.
Old 03-16-03, 05:19 PM

i just saw hunted... it was a below average movie for jones and del toro. i think both actors are truely GREATS!!!! but the plot of this movie was so thin. there was really no character development. i went in looking for a great character driven movie (based largely on thew two main actors) and was handed a sack of crap on par with the average bruce willis film. was it entertaining ...yes, but it was a total dissapointment coming from two great actors like jones and del toro.

had they picked two lesser quality actors as the leads this movie would have been "better" in that u wouldnt have expected as much
Old 03-16-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A lifeless Fugitive rehash. The knife fight at the end was pretty well done though.
Old 03-16-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have been thinking more and more about this movie since my last post. it was real choppy, the acting could have been better, i still dont know what exactly was happening but it did keep my interest and compared to most action flicks today it was still ok. im not sure exactly where i stand on this movie anymore but i liked parts of the movie a lot...there has got to be some missing footage cut out or something...it never really peiced together.
Old 03-16-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No masterpiece, but it certainly held my interest. I'm curious why they didn't talk about the letters more, but that's just me. It was a lot less of a "First Blood" revamp than I thought it would be. Good matinee or rental.
Old 03-16-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does it have Rob Schneider in it?

And if yes does he die a loooong painful death at the hands of Del Toro's character?

If yes I'll go see it for sure!!
Old 03-17-03, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't remember seeing Rob Schneider in it!
Old 03-17-03, 09:26 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I liked it, mainly because the hand-to-hand combat was more realistic than in most films. I thought Benecio del Toro and Tommy Lee Jones were good. The plot was paper thin, but I didn't expect anything intellectually challenging.
Old 03-17-03, 11:37 AM

I was actually pleasantly surprised by this. It was higher than my expectations, although my expectations were rock-bottom (my friends and I decided to see a movie and were too late to see anything else). True, this won't win any awards, and if you think about the plot too much, you'll have a seizure. But Del Toro and Jones brought strong characterization to their underwritten characters, and it's the first movie in a long time where it didn't feel like Friedkin was operating on auto-pilot. As an action piece, it was a guilty pleasure for me.
Old 03-17-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will say this much:

Benicio Del Toro is an unstoppable killing machine, but Tommy Lee Jones is more than a match for him in hand-to-hand combat.

To clarify:

They expect a young, fit psycho could get his ass handed to him by a little man that looks like the captain of The Titanic. Bear in mind, there is no kryptonite or hypnosis involved.
Old 03-17-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought the end was badly edited. How exactly did both of them make weapons from scratch in what seemed to be an hour?

I noticed that articial art water fall that Jackass used for Urban Kyaking was shown. Thought that was funny.
Old 03-17-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
a little man that looks like the captain of The Titanic.

Is that Tommy Lee Jones' career now? Just chasing folks?

Honk!
Old 03-18-03, 01:10 AM

Sure, some of the dialog made my kringe at times, but it kept my interest for a hour and a half. There was a non-stop pace to the movie. The bloody violence was also refreshing. I did find myself rooting for Benicio's character.
Old 03-20-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I thought it was quite Rambo like, actually, though someone else thought it was not.
"He's a killing machine. I trained him. I can catch him." Same basic plotline, former leader chasing a man he trained who's gone off the deep end.
That said, I thought it was pretty good, maybe 7/10. Benicio del Toro can make any movie, IMO ("Flip ya for real..."), but the ending was awfully predictable. Not great, but better than the best day at the office...
Old 03-20-03, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Excellent brainless movie filled with blood and violence. In other words, a great guy movie! This won't will any Oscars or stimulate deep thought, but it sure it good to have a bloody action packed movie that's short and sweet. I liked the movie, but I do agree that it ended very ubruptly. Weak plot and character development but good senseless violence! Did anyone else think that the lady FBI agent was annoying and should be killed? As hot as she may be, she got on my nerves trying to be some big shot. Sometimes you gotta put down the thinking caps and focus on all the blood thrown across the screen.
Old 03-21-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
Did anyone else think that the lady FBI agent was annoying and should be killed? As hot as she may be, she got on my nerves trying to be some big shot.
YES! She drove me CRAZY. I would have rather had her die
Spoiler:
than the Benecio del Toro character.
Old 03-21-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was as if the editor could not stand to see the film anymore and cut as much out of it as humanly possibly while leaving just the barest thread of coherence. I'm not talking about the action scenes, but the plot and story scenes. Regular connective bits that would appear in any other film were excised here. The story had no flow. Also, Jones' tracking ability in the city wasn't demonstrated very well... It seemed as if he were psychic rather than following signs.

Only really good parts were the hand-to-hand fights. I don't think I've seen anything quite like them in the movies before.
Old 03-22-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw The Hunted last night.

Why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why?

Or maybe more succinctly:

How, how, how, how, how, how, how, how, how, how, how, how, how, how, how, how, how, how, how?

(major league spoilers ahead)
Spoiler:
How could Benicio del Toro's character survive a leap from the top of a 1200 foot suspension bridge? How could Tommy Lee Jones luck into the exact spot of a 30 mile stretch of river where Benecio del Toro come out of the water? How could the FBI have a house surrounded and under surveliance, and then let a man roll out of a front window, slip into the garage and zoom off in a car? How could Benicio have time to make not only a steel-forged knife but also construct an elaborate swinging log trap and a sophisticated snare and spike trap? How could Tommy Lee Jones fall 50 feet straight down with a rope tied around his ankle and not break his neck from the jar of the impact? (And where did Benny get the rope, anyway?) How could an old man with rusty skills and a sharpened rock who has never killed before beat a young man with metal knives who has extensive real-life hand-to-hand killing experience?

One of my pet peeves is how heroes and villains reguarly get shot or stabbed in a life-threatening manner... and then go on as if nothing has happened. If you get stabbed in the leg... you don't walk around, let alone run. If you get stabbed in the arm... the muscle will refuse to work and you will not be able to overpower someone with it, I don't care how strong your force of will is. The total disregard of this seemingly obvious point makes The Hunted seem even less believable than Rambo... which is saying a lot.

Most films require a suspension of disbelief... this film requires an entire suspension bridge...
Old 03-22-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I saw it last night. I was dragged to it, rather. Not a good flick at all. There were a ton of plot holes as stated above. The most ridiculous premise of the whole movie was when Benicio Del Toro's character was forging steel to make a knife, using a regular, everyday campfire.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.