Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

The Fisher King.....what's the quality like...technical review?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could anyone give me an idea what to expect from the transfer and overall technical quality of the dvd?
Old 03-14-03, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I so love this film and that's why I really can't recommend this disc. The transfer is anamorphic but the image is often too soft with colors that appear quite muted. The print has a fair amount of dirt throughout and is in desperate need of a good digital restoration. The 2.0 audio gets the job done but does not extend
the film's wonderful atmosphere into the surrounds. The Laserdisc edition had better sound. As for extras, zip! This contemporary classic deserves SE treatment. Hell, I'd even settle for a Superbit edition without extras. Bottom line, rent it first, as I was extremely disappointed with the presentation.
Old 03-14-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

well.....thank you....

I really want to have this disc and was going to buy only because it was 16/9. I am tired of waiting for Columbia to remaster it...SE or Superbit.....whatever.

Sometimes I wonder....Superbit for XXX but not for this movie....????...hmmmmmm
Old 03-17-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll weigh in on the opposite side of the fence here... Pick it up.

The transfer definitely has some issues and is a little soft but it's generally decent... The soundtrack, again, is generally decent... Could both be better? Hell yes, absolutely. No comment on the extras, or rather the lack of... Bottom line though, it is anamorphic and you should be able to secure a copy for ~ $9-ish if you look around. It's hardly a reference quality DVD but it's damn_sure no Madacy either... Best quality available, for now, of this terrific film... And at a bargain basement price, I say go for it. Why rent when you can own it for a few dollars more? Hard telling how long you'll be waiting for a new version to street.

Now, a Superbit would be pretty sweet... Bring it on.
Old 03-17-03, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well......Zhivago....those were my primary thoughts....I can get it for about 9.00$ and I know that it is anamorphic.....then again I read the review above and it sounded like a real stinker....

Superbit should be excellent but then again....who knows when it will come out....