Search this Thread

Old 03-13-03, 09:46 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norman Lear writing for 'Southpark'

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hol...ent_id=1836511

Lear to co-write episodes of 'South Park'
March 13, 2003

Archie Bunker, meet Cartman. Norman Lear, the Emmy-winning producer of TV's "All in the Family," said Wednesday he will collaborate on several episodes of the crude Comedy Central satire "South Park." Lear, 80, is best known for the politically charged comedies "All in the Family," "Sanford and Son," "Maude" and "The Jeffersons," which confronted issues such as abortion, racial prejudice, homosexuality and anti-Semitism. On "South Park," a show about four foul-mouth little boys and their conflicts with the world, Lear hopes to mock the U.S. push for war in Iraq, reality TV shows and immigration. "This is a show that always has something on its mind -- as funny as it is, as outrageous and ridiculous," Lear said. "South Park" creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone said they became friends with Lear by appearing alongside him on panels to discuss censorship and the challenges of producing controversial programming. (AP)
Should be interesting to say the least.
Old 03-14-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Norman Lear is cowriting the season premiere with Matt & Trey (and the staff writers). The episode is titled "The Declaration of Indegayness".
Old 03-14-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm all for it, but it sure seems like an odd mix... Yes he's got a reputation for risky political comedy, like Matt & Trey... But he's exactly the type of mainstream Hollywood liberal that the boys always bash whenever they get the chance... Maybe it'll soften the boy's obvious right-wing leanings and stick to the we'll-insult-anybody mentality that makes the show work...
Old 05-05-04, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by Abranut
Norman Lear is cowriting the season premiere with Matt & Trey (and the staff writers). The episode is titled "The Declaration of Indegayness".
Abranut: What ever happened to this episode?
Old 05-05-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

maybe they are doing it at the beginning of the next mini season?
Old 05-05-04, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since this thread started over a year ago, that episode was probably morphed into the "South Park is Gay!" episode.
Old 05-05-04, 09:52 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I seem to recall Norman Lear's name attached to an episode recently...but I can't recall which one.
Old 05-05-04, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
Since this thread started over a year ago, that episode was probably morphed into the "South Park is Gay!" episode.
More likely "I'm a Little Bit Country."
Old 05-05-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I seem to recall Norman Lear's name attached to an episode recently...but I can't recall which one.

I seem to recall that as well.
Old 05-05-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by AndyB976
Yup, you'd be right. That's the one.
Old 05-06-04, 02:11 AM

whoa! I don't have cable and I gotta see what Lear did/does. Is there any link out there for a download?
Old 05-06-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But he's exactly the type of mainstream Hollywood liberal that the boys always bash whenever they get the chance...
No he isn't; they make fun of mainstream Hollywood liberals who say the same stupid things over and over, like Rob Reiner's anti-smoking stuff, or Barbara Streisand in general. Lear, while being more liberal than they seem to be, is the type of guy who makes a show about how dumb racism is into a comedy about a racist.

Just being liberal is not enough to be the target of their ire, dude. If you think that, you aren't paying attention.

Yep; what happened was, they knew they were gonna be working with Lear, so they developed an episode where Cartman goes back to 1776 and watches the Declaration of Independence get signed (because, apparently, Lear is either a big fan of Jefferson or the Declaration, I forget which). Then, between the time when they did that whole episode, there was this whole controversial war in a middle eastern country you've probably never heard of, and they did a last minute re-write (as they often do) to incorporate that into the episode. So it became half the episode they wrote with Lear and half an episode about the war, and 100% their 100th episode.
Old 05-06-04, 01:03 PM

because, apparently, Lear is either a big fan of Jefferson or the Declaration, I forget which.
Yeah, Lear owns an actual copy of the Declaration, one found fairly recently I believe.
Old 05-06-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
Yep; what happened was, they knew they were gonna be working with Lear, so they developed an episode where Cartman goes back to 1776 and watches the Declaration of Independence get signed (because, apparently, Lear is either a big fan of Jefferson or the Declaration, I forget which). Then, between the time when they did that whole episode, there was this whole controversial war in a middle eastern country you've probably never heard of, and they did a last minute re-write (as they often do) to incorporate that into the episode. So it became half the episode they wrote with Lear and half an episode about the war, and 100% their 100th episode.
When you say it, it sounds do awesome. But this is actually one of my least favorite episodes. I think I got maybe one laugh if any at all, out of the whole episode. Pretty disappointing for a "100th Episode."
Old 05-07-04, 12:58 AM

Well, it was kind of confusing for us as well. If I remember correctly, there were TWO 100th episodes that we were working on. There was the aforementioned Lear episode "I'm a little Bit Country" with the big musical number at the end where everyone sings "100 Episodes!!!" and another one that Lear also collaborated on: "Cancelled" which became the fourth aired episode of the run. "Cancelled" was the one starring the Jewsians from outer space, and the taco that crapped ice cream. Because of developments in Iraq, "Cancelled" got pushed back in the queue and "A Little Bit Country" which features a classic moment of Cartman beating a 1776 Sentry to death while singing the theme song to "Dawsons Creek".
Old 05-07-04, 07:46 AM

Abranut,

"Cancelled" was the season opener, "I'm a Little Bit Country" was the fourth aired episode of the run.
Old 05-07-04, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by Ted The Bug
Abranut,

"Cancelled" was the season opener, "I'm a Little Bit Country" was the fourth aired episode of the run.
See? I told you I was confused . After awhile they sort of blend together.