Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"U-Turn" An Oliver Stone Picture

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talk about an underestimated movie! The performances were excellent, and the story wasn't half bad either. Top kudos to Billy Bob Thornton (almost unrecognizable with the pop glasses and all the grease on him) and Joaquin Phoenix as the jealous boy friend, as both performances deserved Oscar-nods. Sean Penn was also very convincing as a man slowly losing his marbles and patience.

The weaker performances were given by Nick Nolte and Jennifer Lopez, but they weren't terrible either.

How did this little movie stay so little in the grand scope of things?
Old 03-13-03, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked it most because of Robert Richardson's incredible cinematography, but I think it's pretty good. I didn't care for the ending though, and I can't even look at Jennifer Lopez anymore.
Old 03-13-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've always wondered what made Oliver Stone, madman extraordinaire, otherwise known as America's cinematic guilty conscience, want to make this film? It doesn't make a point, it isn't political in the least, and is considerably more small-scale than Stone's other flamboyant, often rambling, epics. The film is fine on its own terms, but it's always seemed little more than an exercise for Stone to do something, and damn if I know what it is.

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 03-13-03 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-13-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
I've always wondered what made Oliver Stone, madmad extraordinaire, otherwise known as America's cinematic guilty conscience, want to make this film? It doesn't make a point, it isn't political in the least, and is considerably more small-scale than Stone's other flamboyant, often rambling, epics. The film is fine on its own terms, but it's always seemed little more than an exercise for Stone to do something, and damn if I know what it is.
Ebert made the same argument. So all of his films have to be political? He felt like doing a Noirish movie, and he did it in his own unique style. I'm not crazy about the movie, but I say good for him. I don't want to see the same thing over and over.
Old 03-13-03, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I felt the same way: that the film was so simple as compared to his larger-than-life films like "Natural Born Killers" and "JFK."
Old 03-13-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Red Rock West
Old 03-13-03, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
Red Rock West
Exactly...and Detour...and The Grifters. Easily Stone's worst film (even worse than Does Anybody Give a $hit on Sunday). This movie is Stone trying something different and failing miserably. He may have been able to make a good,lean noir at some point (Talk Radio comes close), but I feel that U-Turn sucked because Oliver Stone in fact now sucks. He was done after NBK.
Old 03-13-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Eloquently put.

However, I don't view Red Rock West or The Grifters as Stone pictures because he did not direct them.
Old 03-13-03, 05:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Buttmunker
However, I don't view Red Rock West or The Grifters as Stone pictures because he did not direct them.
My point was that U-Turn was just a retread of so many other NeoNoir films. It brought nothing new to the picnic
Old 03-13-03, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought U-Turn was a very forgettable movie that didn't bring anything new to the table. I don't think any actor/tress in the film stood out.

Just another bad movie.
Old 03-13-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have a clue who directed Red Rock West, or even if Stone had anything to do with it... my point is that U-Turn is hardly original, and my impression when I first saw it was that it was a blatant rehash of Red Rock West.
Old 03-16-03, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts
Not to threadcrap, but U-Turn is easily one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life. Billy Bob was a great character, but he was not in that much of the movie.

For what it's worth, I think Any Given Sunday is a good film. Problem is, I cannot find a single movie by Oliver Stone that is without some glaring fault due to excessive editing and ludicrous/random shots, though JFK comes close.