Julia Louis-Dreyfus Fans -- Good News! -- Watching Ellie Returns

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Julia Louis-Dreyfus Fans -- Good News! -- Watching Ellie Returns

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Julia Louis-Dreyfus Fans -- Good News!

A retooled version of Julia Louis-Dreyfus's comedy Watching Ellie returns to NBC beginning Tuesday, April 15. It replaces the struggling A.U.S.A.
Old 03-12-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good news that it's returning. Bad new that it's "retooled." While the ticking clock was silly, they started to dim it very early after the first few episodes, and I thought after that the concept worked great. I hope they don't just turn it into another stupid sit-com. I like seeing JLD running around trying to get somewhere and stumbling over herself and her weird friends.

das
Old 03-12-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked A.U.S.A., damn NBC
Old 03-12-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Alright, good to hear! Let's hope the retooling isn't too drastic. Is the entire ensamble back? I'd hate to hear that they replaced or got rid of a character.
Old 03-12-03, 03:20 PM

Found some more news at ComingSoon.net:

Julia Louis-Dreyfus' NBC comedy Watching Ellie will be relaunched on April 15, where it will get a six-week run behind Frasier.

Variety reports that since viewers last tuned in to "Ellie" last year, the series has been revamped. The real-time element is out, as is the single-camera format.

By giving "Ellie" a timeslot in April, NBC executives will be able to decide whether to bring the show back for a third season next fall. The series snagged a surprise midseason order last May despite scoring only modest ratings in its initial outing.
Old 03-12-03, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Awww...and here I thought "retool" meant adding some annoyingly cute child..

..or a monkey.

Old 03-12-03, 04:44 PM
Banned

or speractic guest appearance of stunt casting like Michael richards and for sweeps, Special Guest Star..........Jerry Seinfeld.

Sorry, didnt like it the first time
NBC, get us some good sitcoms.
Old 03-12-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also part of the "re-tooling" the show will become a standard two-camera sit-com with a studio audience instead of the single "follow cam" it used to have.... basically they're dropping the entire original concept and reverting to a standard sit-com formula.

Honestly I enjoyed the originality of the techniques used last season... too bad it turned out to be too "high concept" for the general public. I bet it would have worked well on HBO.
Old 03-31-03, 02:17 PM

Bumping original thread.
Old 03-31-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Check out Julia on A&E's Biography on right now...it is pretty good so far.
Old 04-15-03, 08:12 AM

Just a reminder: Watching Ellie is back on tonight.

And here is a new article from http://www.sltrib.com/2003/Apr/04152...sday/47969.asp

Live Studio Audience Will Be 'Watching Ellie' This Time Out

By Mike Duffy
Knight Ridder News Service

The time clock is out on "Watching Ellie."
But the clock is still ticking on whether Julia Louis-Dreyfus' quirky comedy about Los Angeles cabaret singer Ellie Riggs will survive and bloom into the funny, popular success NBC has been hoping for.
And then there's the little matter of "the Seinfeld Curse."
"There is no such thing as 'the Seinfeld Curse.' It's something the media created," says Louis-Dreyfus, who returns for a brief, six-episode second season of a revamped "Watching Ellie" at 8:30 p.m. Tuesday on KSL Channel 5.
"The Seinfeld Curse" is the name given to the chucklehead jinx that has afflicted the supporting players of that beloved classic sitcom. Michael Richards ("The Michael Richards Show") and Jason Alexander ("Bob Patterson") crashed and burned in laugh-track purgatory when they starred in their own flagrantly mediocre sitcoms following "Seinfeld."
"There is the curse of show business," acknowledges Louis-Dreyfus, who spoke with TV critics during a teleconference last week. "It's just really hard when you're going uphill in the entertainment business. Even when you've had success before, it's not easy doing it again. This is a tough business."
When it debuted last season to widely mixed reviews -- some of which were borderline ecstatic and some much less so -- "Watching Ellie" was a relaxed little comedy that followed its own unconventional, easygoing rhythms.
It was filmed with a single camera like a mini-movie.
There was no studio audience, therefore no traditional laugh-track guffawing.
And there was the offbeat real-time format with that digital clock ticking down the time in one corner of the screen.
That's all changed. "Watching Ellie," like "Seinfeld," "Everybody Loves Raymond," "Friends" and hundreds of other sitcoms since the 1950s, is now being filmed in front of a studio audience. So the feel is more familiar.
NBC was especially keen on ditching the little time clock and adding a studio audience.
"Actually, I think the show is just as good and perhaps a little funnier," says Louis-Dreyfus, who said she has no problem with the changes. "I'm delighted to have an audience. I missed an audience last year."
Getting rid of the real-time format and the ticking clock allows Louis-Dreyfus and her husband, Brad Hall, who created and produces the series, to open up the storytelling, she says. But it's filming before a studio audience each Friday evening that will have the most noticeable impact on the comic tone of "Watching Ellie."
"It's just broader, there are aspects of the show that are a little goofier," says Louis-Dreyfus of doing comedy with a studio audience. "The pace and the energy have to come up a little bit."
Despite an overhaul of the show's comic metabolism, Ellie Riggs isn't changing her personality. She's still single, singing and suffering from low self-esteem.
"From a comedic point of view, it's great to be playing a person who's needy, insecure and maybe a little angry," says Louis-Dreyfus. "It lends itself to a lot of humor."
Old 04-15-03, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The previews on the commercials so far have looked great. I hope being after Frasier doesn't actually hurt her ratings. Frasier seems to be the only show NBC has viewership with on Tuesday, no one sticks around before it, no one sticks around after it.

I definately want a third season this fall.... i hope the viewers tune in and enjoy.

Next week's show:
Watching Ellie - "TV" - 04-22-2003 9:30PM NBC

Spoiler:
A STAR IS BORN -- Ellie (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) gets carried away with dreams of celebrity when a hard nosed ad exec (guest star Jane Lynch, "Best in Show") seems to reward her commercial work with a lavish gift -- but must put up with Edgar's (Steve Carell) jealously. Meanwhile, Ben (Darren Boyd) and Dr. Zimmerman (Don Lake) get hooked on a game of Nerf basketball when they notice that every time they make a basket a wish appears to come true. Lauren Bowles also stars.

Last edited by nightwing82; 04-15-03 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-15-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by nightwing82
The previews on the commercials so far have looked great.
I haven't been able to pay attention...she looks so F I N E
Old 04-15-03, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only thing that gives me hope for this show is her husband Brad Hall. Brooklyn Bridge was a great show. I think he wrote and/or created Watching Ellie, but I didn't really enjoy it's first go around. I'm glad they made some changes.
Old 04-16-03, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Roto
The only thing that gives me hope for this show is her husband Brad Hall. Brooklyn Bridge was a great show. I think he wrote and/or created Watching Ellie, but I didn't really enjoy it's first go around. I'm glad they made some changes.
Brooklyn Bridge was a fine show. But what did Brad Hall have to do with it? It was created by Executive Producer Gary David Goldberg who also created Family Ties.

On IMDb I couldn't find any evidence that Brad Hall had anything to do with that show. Now Brad Silberling (Moonlight Mile) did direct many of the episodes.