Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

If I didn't like "Grave of the Fireflies", will I like "Spirited Away"?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I'm very anxious to see "Spirited Away" because of all the positive buzz I've seen online and the glowing reviews. I also downloaded the trailer and it looked like something I would really like. I just recently rented "Grave of the Fireflies" because it was recommended to me and was told the two movies were similar. However, I didn't enjoy that all that much. It wasn't bad. But not what I was expecting. For those who have seen both, was that a fair comparison?
Old 03-11-03, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess it depends on what you did not care for with regards to "Grave fo the Fireflies."

"Grave..." is an example that many people tend to use to show that anime can have adult themes and appeal. It is a very sad and for some people, emotionally moving, story.

Spirited Away is of a similar look of animation (anime) but has a lighter tone. There is a mix of hand drawn and computer animation. The story is less "depressing" (although that is really not the right word for Fireflies) and has a lot more fantasy like sequences.

I'd give "Spirited Away" a try. I drove 100 miles to the nearest town that it was showing in to see it on the big screen and didn't regret the effort one bit.

-doc
Old 03-11-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The two movies are not remotely similar except for the fact they are both animated by Ghibli.
Old 03-11-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's like comparing apples and oranges. The films couldn't be more different. As far as the animation goes, it's similar but Spirited Away is more colorful and takes place in a fantasy environment.
As much as I like Grave of the Fireflies, I have to say that Spirited Away is a better film.
Old 03-12-03, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't really liked Grave of the Fireflies either. It's a good movie, but it's too flat for me. (may be a second viewing or more would help)
In the contrary, I loved Spirited Away a lot. It's really imaginative, really fresh and very rich in story.
Comparing the two movies isn't really fair since both of them have few in common. If you have doubt for Spirited Away... well... don't. It's a good anime. Few anime could've any better than this.
Old 03-12-03, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Having both on DVD I have to say they really have nothing in common. Like it's already been said, Spirited Away is a very rich and colorful fantasy whereas Grave of the Fireflies is a realistic look at suffering and loss. They are both incredibly well done films but the subkect matter is way too varied to fairly compare the two.

The tone of Spirited Away is considerably lighter than Fireflies and may make for easier viewing.

If you haven't seen Princess Mononoke, consider watching that along with Spirited Away. They are both Miyazaki films which rely largely on fantasy elements that form the basis for each movie.
Old 03-12-03, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by buckee1
If you haven't seen Princess Mononoke, consider watching that along with Spirited Away. They are both Miyazaki films which rely largely on fantasy elements that form the basis for each movie.
I agree with that. In fact, I loved Princess Mononoke more than Spirited Away. And as far as any Miyazaki's movie I've seen, all of them are based from fantasy elements. So if you like one, the rest of the other simply can't just go wrong.
Old 03-12-03, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Loved Spirited Away. Grave isn't anything like it. Spirited Away is beautiful and I guess the closest comparison I can draw is to Alice in Wonderland - except much better.
Old 03-12-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm having a similar problem in that I've loved most of Miyazaki's films (Laputa, Nausicaa, Kiki, etc.) But just didn't care much for Mononoke.
I'm a bit worried I'm not going to care for Spirited Away either.

Doesn't mean I won't be buying it next month though)
Old 03-12-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Spirited Away I loved... Mononoke I thought was just okay.
Old 03-12-03, 08:40 PM

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Panda Phil
I'm having a similar problem in that I've loved most of Miyazaki's films (Laputa, Nausicaa, Kiki, etc.) But just didn't care much for Mononoke.
I'm a bit worried I'm not going to care for Spirited Away either.

Doesn't mean I won't be buying it next month though)
I would say Spirited Away is much closer to Kiki's Delivery Service than Princess Mononoke in tone.

BTW, considering your user name, you might enjoy Panda! Go Panda! which is a wonderful little pair of Miyazaki TV episodes from the 70's.
Old 03-19-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Update:

I just saw "Princess Mononoke" last night for the first time (a co-worker let me borrow it) and I loved it!! Fifteen minutes into it I knew I was going to buy it. If "Spirited Away" is half as good, I'll be happy!

Thanks everyone who responded.
Old 03-19-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First of all did you watch GOF in English or Japanese? Its horrible dubbed.

Second 2 different directors and 2 different types of movies.
Old 03-19-03, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by Daytripper
Update:

I just saw "Princess Mononoke" last night for the first time (a co-worker let me borrow it) and I loved it!! Fifteen minutes into it I knew I was going to buy it. If "Spirited Away" is half as good, I'll be happy!

Thanks everyone who responded.
You're gonna be very happy then!