Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gamecube Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-03, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gamecube Problem

I'm hoping some of you can help me.

My gamecube is having a hard time reading the disc. I'll turn it on and it goes directly to the setup screen.

I have to keep turning it off and on and it will finally read it and play the game perfectly.

The game is in perfect shape. The system seems quite clean. I've had it for a little over one year.

Could this be a dirty lens or what? I'm hoping some of you have come across this.

By the way, it's not a hookup problem. Everything's actually working perfect right now. However, if I turn it off, turning it on and getting it to play will be a chore.
Old 03-10-03, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Give Nintendo a call.

You can check the status of your warranty here

You can use the following search to find out whether your Nintendo hardware system is still under warranty. You will need to locate the serial number on the back of your system. The serial number begins with one or two letters (i.e., NS, GC, N, AU, CG, MG, G, UC) followed by a sequence of numbers. If your serial number includes a last number that is slightly shaded, please be sure to include this number as well. (Please note, serial numbers are not the same as the model number, which includes three letters, followed by a dash and numbers.)

https://www.nintendo.com/cpp/repairs/warrantyLookup.do

Here's the warranty blurb

from

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/man...ntytext_us.jsp

U.S. Warranty (complete text)

HARDWARE WARRANTY
Nintendo of America Inc. ("Nintendo") warrants to the original purchaser that the hardware product shall be free from defects in material and workmanship for twelve (12) months from the date of purchase. If a defect covered by this warranty occurs during this warranty period, Nintendo or a NINTENDO AUTHORIZED REPAIR CENTER will repair the defective hardware product or component, free of charge. The original purchaser is entitled to this warranty only if the date of purchase is registered at point of sale or the consumer can demonstrate, to Nintendo's satisfaction, that the product was purchased within the last 12 months.

GAME & ACCESSORY WARRANTY
Nintendo warrants to the original purchaser that the product (games and accessories) shall be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of three (3) months from the date of purchase. If a defect covered by this warranty occurs during this three (3) month warranty period, Nintendo or a NINTENDO AUTHORIZED REPAIR CENTER will repair the defective product, free of charge.

SERVICE AFTER EXPIRATION OF WARRANTY
Please try our web site at www.nintendo.com or call our Consumer Assistance Hotline at 1-800-255-3700 for troubleshooting assistance and/or referral to the nearest NINTENDO AUTHORIZED REPAIR CENTER. In some instances, it may be necessary for you to ship the complete product, FREIGHT PREPAID AND INSURED FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE, to the nearest service location. Please do not send any products to Nintendo without contacting us

WARRANTY LIMITATIONS

THIS WARRANTY SHALL NOT APPLY IF THIS PRODUCT: (a) IS USED WITH PRODUCTS NOT SOLD OR LICENSED BY NINTENDO INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, NON-LICENSED GAME ENHANCEMENT AND COPIER DEVICES, ADAPTERS, AND POWER SUPPLIES); (b) IS USED FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES INCLUDING RENTAL); (c) IS MODIFIED OR TAMPERED WITH; (d) IS DAMAGED BY NEGLIGENCE, ACCIDENT, UNREASONABLE USE, OR BY OTHER CAUSES UNRELATED TO DEFECTIVE MATERIALS OR WORKMANSHIP; OR (e) HAS HAD THE SERIAL NUMBER ALTERED, DEFACED OR REMOVED.

ANY APPLICABLE IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE HEREBY LIMITED IN DURATION TO THE WARRANTY PERIODS DESCRIBED ABOVE (12 MONTHS OR 3 MONTHS, AS APPLICABLE). IN NO EVENT SHALL NINTENDO BE LIABLE FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE BREACH OF ANY IMPLIED OR EXPRESS WARRANTIES. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY LASTS OR EXCLUSION OF CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state. Nintendo's address is as set forth on the back cover of this booklet.

This warranty is only valid in the United States.
Old 03-10-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts
Thanks for posting the warranty info.

It's funny that when BB tries to sell people their extended warranty, they would tell customers that GC only comes with a 90-day warranty.

PAL
Old 03-10-03, 08:45 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I had this problem once. It turned out that I had an Xbox controller sitting on top of one of my Gamecube controllers, causing one of the buttons to be pressed (I believe holding down "A" at startup on any controller causes the cube to jump to the setup menu). So, before you call Nintendo try the following:

1. Make sure that none of your controllers are sitting under something else.

2. If you have a Wavebird, try fresh batteries.

3. If that doesn't work, unplug all of your controllers and boot up the Cube with each controller plugged in, one at a time to see if one of them is the problem.
Old 03-10-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~
Thanks for posting the warranty info.

It's funny that when BB tries to sell people their extended warranty, they would tell customers that GC only comes with a 90-day warranty.

PAL
Yeah I know, when I bought mine I went for the extended warranty (and I probably should not have), it was like $17 for the Product Replacement Plan at Best Buy. At the time I had been reading the stuff about PS2 and X-Box warranty issues (before people were reporting that Microsoft was actually starting to replace/fix them beyond the 90 day) and figured that the Nintendo GC's were also 90 days.

In any case, I have heard good reports from people with all the different consoles, getting things fixed after the manufacturer's warranty has expired, so it is definitely worth the time to check it out.

I don't have my SN with me here at work or I'd check out the status of my GC's warranty with the other link.
Old 03-13-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
It very well could be a dirty lens (surprised they haven't come out with an official cleaning kit yet) but definately call the big N before trying anything on your own. Their customer service is definately the best.