Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Six Feet Under 3/10/03

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-03, 02:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Six Feet Under 3/10/03

Wasn't tonight's episode of SFU so much more mellow than most.

I like the fact that it was much less action packed than the first of the season. (who could take a shock like that 2 episodes in a row).

Favorite scene had to have been when Ruth and Kathy Bate's character were sitting on the hammock. Ruth says how quiet it is with the screaming in the background.

All in all a nice episode that moved things along without any massive changes/revelations
Old 03-10-03, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love episodes like this, and HBO shows do it brilliantly. Getting Patricia Clarkson and Kathy Bates in the same room can only spell success, and they each had some wonderful scenes. My only complaint would be the bait and switch with the opening death. Last season they relied on this device a bit too heavily, and I hope they don't do too much of it again.

das
Old 03-10-03, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, somehow, that whole opening scene wasn't shocking at all or even that interesting (the idea of David wilfully accepting the funeral for the shooter was though), whereas last year, I feel they would've made quite a fascinating scene out of the opening.

Anyway, I loved the episode as a whole... the Kathy Bates character is so much fun. I hope they don't drag that storyline out, but then again, whatever it takes to keep Kathy Bates around is fine by me! I'm still annoyed with Claire as it seems like she's reverted to her old self (new boyfriend very much like Gabe, though he was showing promise until the whole non-exclusive issue came up). It'll be very interesting to see how she grows this season.

As always, some great comedy with the baby monitor scene, all the Kathy Bates scenes, and even a lot of Nate's interaction with Lisa who showed some promise in actually becoming an interesting character in this episode (though the steps towards having them eventually fight are blatantly obvious/annoying).
Old 03-10-03, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of course we're not sure if all of this is actually happening yet.

I thought the interaction with Rico and the two corpses was pretty interesting though.
Old 03-10-03, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Very subtle episode. Ruth and Kathy Bates relaxing on the hammock with the screaming in the background was cool. I honestly think Claire is getting dumber as the episodes progress. Her new "boyfriend" isn't a whole lot better than Gabe. Nate and Lisa have a very passive agressive relationship that's bound to explode sooner or later.
Old 03-10-03, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone else here think that Nate is headed for the mother of all personality snaps? He is almost 180 degrees from what he was like in the past. All this peace and love with Lisa. Being the "responsible and loving parent", etc. It's like he's living in Dullsville, man. Even his haircut is square. I think that in an upcoming episode, Brenda's going to reappear (inevitable, obviously) and Nate will nail her faster than a Black & Decker. He can't keep up this lifestyle...it just isn't him. He needs the turmoil which Brenda provided.
Old 03-10-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by JonTurner
... the Kathy Bates character is so much fun. I hope they don't drag that storyline out, but then again, whatever it takes to keep Kathy Bates around is fine by me!
Well keeping Kathy Bates around shouldn't be too much of a chore. I think she has directed at least two episodes already.

The Catherine O'Hara character and Lisa are just TOO MUCH! Lisa is SUCH a bitch in a 180 degree different way that her boss is! Lisa is SO passive agressive/manipulative. I was just CRINGING for Nate during those scenes last night. At least O'Hara's character just SAYS what she wants/is thinking. UGH!

BTW - I read that O'Hara's character is supposed to be based on Cybil Shepard for whom Alan Ball once worked (co-exec producer on Cybil) and Peter Krause was also on that show. The rice pudding thing had me in stitches!
Old 03-10-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
While I still have my doubts we are seeing "real" 6FU plot developments, this episode laid down more character development.

Rico looks like a guy who's ready to blow a gasket himself, which is ironic, given his reaction to having to prep the shooter's body who opened the show with an office shooting rampage.

Keith and David's relationship is rockier than usual, but there are flashes of understanding between them. At the little dinner gathering between them and Nate/Lisa, the comments overheard by the baby monitor were chuckle inducing. Keith wasn't all that pleased to find out that Nate/Lisa know he and David are in therapy.

Lisa's boss is quite the handful. The comment on her, well, you know, was pretty funny (and something you'd probably only say to your wife in bed).

Where is Clare going with the free spirited rocker/cremator? She was taken aback from the non-exclusivity that he wanted, but then gave in to her sexual urges.

Ruth and the Kathy Bates character segment was entertaining. Ruth sounded like the Exorcist was within her as she was tying up Sarah for her own good. Ruth popping half a vicodin given all the yelling was inspired.

Nate and Lisa's relationship seems to be a little on familiar new parents/newly wed territory, but Lisa does crack the whip on Nate pretty well.
Old 03-10-03, 08:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Wonderful episode. The dinner scene at Nate and Lisa's was my favorite moment.

I still do not know what exactly is going to happen to Nate this season, but it'll be something big for sure.
Old 03-10-03, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by DumDum
Of course we're not sure if all of this is actually happening yet.
Well that would be one pretty elaborate dream then wouldn't you say? Not since "Dallas". I could possibly see Nate dreaming about Lisa and the baby. But the rest? David and Keith going to therapy? Ruth and her sister? Claire and her new boyfriend? It better not be.
Old 03-10-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Daytripper
Well that would be one pretty elaborate dream then wouldn't you say? Not since "Dallas". I could possibly see Nate dreaming about Lisa and the baby. But the rest? David and Keith going to therapy? Ruth and her sister? Claire and her new boyfriend? It better not be.
How is this tough to believe? Nate is actually the only person who had met Claire boyfriend before the operation. Lisa's boss has never been referred to except by her 1st name (which may be all Nate knew pre-op). As far as I can recall, Kathy Bates' character doesn't even HAVE a name. Sounds like it could all be in Nate's "alternate reality" or dream.
Old 03-10-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Kathy Bates' character is named Bettina.
Old 03-10-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rfduncan
How is this tough to believe? Nate is actually the only person who had met Claire boyfriend before the operation. Lisa's boss has never been referred to except by her 1st name (which may be all Nate knew pre-op). As far as I can recall, Kathy Bates' character doesn't even HAVE a name. Sounds like it could all be in Nate's "alternate reality" or dream.
I could possibly see them doing this as some sort of alternate reality. Sounds like something the show would do. A dream? Sorry, but that would be ridiculous. Who has dreams that detailed and complex? Especially if they are going to drag this out for several weeks.
Old 03-10-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There were also none of the time-shifting/deja vu effects at all this week, which indicates to me that we are no longer in the dream/alternate realities. I don't think this show would extend the concept over more than one episode without more clues. Also, why would Nate imagine the whole opening office massacre (complete with names)?
Old 03-10-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
Originally posted by Numanoid
There were also none of the time-shifting/deja vu effects at all this week, which indicates to me that we are no longer in the dream/alternate realities. I don't think this show would extend the concept over more than one episode without more clues. Also, why would Nate imagine the whole opening office massacre (complete with names)?
I think the clues as to what is happening now are in the first episode when the Father states we always end up in a reality we exist in. My guess at this point is he's in a comma from the operation and playing out this reality while his body recovers. There was the mention in the HBO buzz that the season does not begin where people think it does as said by Brenda's character. So I think we are in for a 'shock.'

Do we really see Claire going to bed with the guy after he tells her its an open relationship

Do we see the mother popping vicadin inside of her normal character?

Nate allowing his wife to put up with the abuse just for free housing?

I don't see many of the characters as acting in character so far this season/reality.

I can't wait to find out if I'm right or wrong but I would like a longer episode. Both episodes are clocking in at around 50 minutes which makes me wonder if they are thinking sindication or something, of all the HBO series this one is easiest to air on another station like bravo or USA.... Just my 2 cents....
Old 03-10-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm holding strong to my belief on where this season is going. I'm just interested to see how they're going to approach it from week to week. I have some ideas on how I'd do it, but I trust them to do it better, so I won't dwell on it until it comes to pass.

das
Old 03-10-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jpcamb
I can't wait to find out if I'm right or wrong but I would like a longer episode. Both episodes are clocking in at around 50 minutes which makes me wonder if they are thinking sindication or something, of all the HBO series this one is easiest to air on another station like bravo or USA.... Just my 2 cents....
I know, what's up with the shorter episodes? I was really getting into it and the credits start rolling. I know we're only talking 7 minutes more (or so). But still. I'm greedy, I'll admit it. I do want more.

The only characters that seem "out of character" to me these past two weeks were Nate and Keith. You're right, Nate would never be that passive. And Keith? Personally, I don't think his character would go to couples counseling let along talk to an imaginary David at a session when he wasn't there. That was pretty stupid IMO. I can totally see Ruth popping HALF a vicadin. That's so like her to not take a whole pill (like I know her ) And Claire? I believe that she would sleep with the guy after he told her he wasn't exclusive. She's always made wrong decisions when it comes to guys. I felt really sorry for her though when this loser told her he was seeing other women. That look on her face when he asked her if she wanted him to leave. Great acting!

I miss Brenda!!!!
Old 03-10-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
I'm holding strong to my belief on where this season is going. I'm just interested to see how they're going to approach it from week to week. I have some ideas on how I'd do it, but I trust them to do it better, so I won't dwell on it until it comes to pass.

das
Well, can you e-mail then me then offline? I'm kind of curious where you think this is going
Old 03-10-03, 01:04 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by Daytripper
Well, can you e-mail then me then offline? I'm kind of curious where you think this is going
Same here.

I have a few ideas as to what might happen.
Old 03-10-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Totally off topic but...

Right before and right after Six Feet Under HBO played a promo for some Jessica Lange HBO production. I can't think of the name of the song used in the promo and it's driving me nuts. It's a fairly well known song. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-10-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Totally off topic but...

• Quoth bluedevil •<HR SIZE=1>Right before and right after Six Feet Under HBO played a promo for some Jessica Lange HBO production. I can't think of the name of the song used in the promo and it's driving me nuts. It's a fairly well known song. Any help would be appreciated. <HR SIZE=1>

"I Shall Believe" - Sheryl Crow, Tuesday Night Music Club (1993)

Jessica Lange has always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason, but she can sometimes be an absolutely brilliant actress. I'm very much looking forward to this production.

das
Old 03-10-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Totally off topic but...

Originally posted by das Monkey

Jessica Lange has always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason, but she can sometimes be an absolutely brilliant actress. I'm very much looking forward to this production.

das
Really!? Wow, I think don't think she's ever turned in a bad performance. She's one of my favorite actresses. "Blue Sky", "Sweet Dreams", "Men Don't Leave","Tootsie", "Frances", "Cape Fear". Yep, pretty damn brilliant IMO.

But back on subject................

No response to filling us in on your theory about SFU das?
Old 03-10-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hear Copenhagen has an interpretation, and it's much more interesting than anything I can say.

das
Old 03-10-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't stand it when monkeys talk all oblique-like.

Don't make me google you!

Edited to add: Yeesh! I quit after Atronomy and Algebra 2 for a reason!

Last edited by adamblast; 03-10-03 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-10-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So, no one is biting on this being an Alter-Nate Reality?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.