Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Black Sash

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Sash

The WB has been promoting it quite heavily lately, so I ventured a look into the WB website to see what I could find. From a press release

Spin-kicking its way on to the screen, BLACK SASH makes its debut on Sunday, March 30, 9:00 - 10:00 p.m. ET. From the writers and executive producers of "The Karate Kid" and "Martial Law" and the executive producers of "Smallville," BLACK SASH features a multigenerational cast, dazzling martial arts and stories of hope and redemption.

As an undercover narcotics cop, Tom Chang (Russell Wong, "Romeo Must Die") paid a high price for staying true to his values. Framed and wrongly incarcerated in Hong Kong for allegedly smuggling heroine, he lost everything. Now, after five years in a Hong Kong prison, Tom has come home to San Francisco, intent on restoring his life and a relationship with his estranged daughter. Once Tom returns to San Francisco, his mentor, Master Li (Mako, "Pearl Harbor"), gives Tom his martial arts school, and Tom finds a new family in the young men and women he trains. Lost and searching for answers, they will find hope in a man with the wisdom and insight they need.
Thoughts? From the promo, I thought it looked like "Power Rangers", without the costumes and special powers. It's up against "Alias", so I probably won't bother with the show.
Old 03-10-03, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts
If it has decent fighting and interesting enough characters, I might add it to the ol Tivo...
Old 03-10-03, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 727 Likes on 531 Posts
Bring back Vanishing Son!
Old 03-10-03, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why can't they put new shows on a day/time when something else interesting is not playing?

If it's on against Alias, that means it's on at the same time as 6 Feet Under too.
Old 03-17-03, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by devilshalo
Bring back Vanishing Son!
Old 03-17-03, 03:39 PM

Wow, I completely forgot about Vanishing Son, from way back. I liked that a lot.
Old 03-29-03, 01:48 AM

i'm in. i'll tape alias and check this out. looks to have promise. 2 cute girls decent fighting. we'll see.
Old 03-29-03, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
WB, cute girls, fighting. Wait a minute, I already saw Birds of Prey.

Oh different show.....well I'm sure this one will be much better.
Old 03-29-03, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I might check this out just because I liked the Vanishing Son movies.
Old 03-31-03, 01:18 AM

watched it and i am impressed. looks like the show has some potential. looks like i'll keep watching for a while. some of the characters seemed shallow (like not very developed), possibly because there may be too many main ones? two girls did very nice, but there are way too many men than women, and none of the men were appealing. we'll see. if the fighting is as good as the first scene on the bus this may be a very good show. almost like a weekly movie.
Old 03-31-03, 09:46 AM

rewatched parts and it seems like they are mimicing 24s filming style with all the little boxes. though not used as often i couldn't get the feeling of 24 out of my head.
Old 04-06-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Only two shows in the season, and already i can say that i'll be a faithfull watcher. This is show definitely has all the elements i like, so I'm definitely hooked
Old 04-07-03, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was suprised with the show and thought it wasn't bad. i missed tonights ep because i was watching the Laker game. I saw the pilot and it was the bad. My reason for checking it out was because of Russell Wong was the main character, the show has some good looking girls too. I'll be checking out some more eps though.
Old 04-07-03, 12:42 AM

3 good looking girls (blonde, brunette, and ex-wife), 3 good looking guys (teacher, white trash doode, and ex-wife's new husband), decent fighting (this ep not as good as the last), and a really modern/urban feel. this is definitely something i am going to keep watching.

this episode wasn't as interesting as the first. seems like they are jumping into the characters pretty fast, instead of easing in. the guy with the deadbeat dad seems like he'll be annoying, as will rayjay, but we'll see. the girls are easily hot enough to keep me watching, as is the teacher and the ex-wife's husband.
Old 04-07-03, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by WiccanPagan
3 good looking girls (blonde, brunette, and ex-wife), 3 good looking guys (teacher, white trash doode, and ex-wife's new husband), decent fighting (this ep not as good as the last), and a really modern/urban feel. this is definitely something i am going to keep watching.

this episode wasn't as interesting as the first. seems like they are jumping into the characters pretty fast, instead of easing in. the guy with the deadbeat dad seems like he'll be annoying, as will rayjay, but we'll see. the girls are easily hot enough to keep me watching, as is the teacher and the ex-wife's husband.
Very well said
Some major hotties in there for sure!
Old 04-07-03, 01:17 AM

one thing i really liked about this second episode. they stepped away from what i said about the first episode: the 24-style screen. split screens and multiple boxes are very cool, yes, but it seemed like they were cashing in on the success that 24 brough to the style. good move to see it gone this time around.
Old 04-07-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting series. I don't understand how Ray J keeps getting parts when he seems to have no talent at all. Must be nice to be Brandi's brother.
Old 04-14-03, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the blonde and tori are a hottie, as well as tom's ex- wife.
Old 04-14-03, 01:10 AM

i enjoied the episode. it looks like it could go on but the writing needs to stay hip. the story today was too fight club and the character they introduced wasn't likable at all. not only that but it seems like they have almost the exact same character in the pizza boy. and yes there is much eye candy in the show. hardly anyone on the show (both sexes) i wouldn't mind dropping crumbs in my bed.
Old 04-14-03, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, I'm already getting fairly bored with the direction this series is taking. It needs to be on a bigger scale than bar fights.

I also hope they don't drag out the custody battle for the length of the season (however long that is given the poor ratings so far).
Old 04-21-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bad news for Black Sash fans: the show is being pulled for May sweeps, which is a really bad sign for it's return next year.

Link

(backdoor good news for Angel renewal though )
Old 04-21-03, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by Chew
Bad news for Black Sash fans: the show is being pulled for May sweeps, which is a really bad sign for it's return next year.

Link

(backdoor good news for Angel renewal though )
pretty sad. i am enjoying the show. the last one was really good. the son coming back and getting shady with the teacher was cool as was the sword fighting scene, though at times they handled the blades like they were broad swords instead of kitana.

i like the show and i like looking at the people in it. the not great ratings may not be all their fault as they do have some competition (primarily alias and malcolm), which is not easy to fight with this time of show.

as das said in another thread: genre programming often gets overlooked for the basic drama and comedy, and it bites. much great tv is really off the wall (buffy, st, angel, dark angel, smallville, farscape, stargate, x-files) and does not get the respect it deserves. there hasn't been a martial arts show on television in a while (last one i remember is kung fu the legend continues), and i hope it can stay around. if not, i hope the girlies can get other jobs.

Last edited by WiccanPagan; 04-21-03 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-21-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yea i know, i enjoyed the show too and they definately had some good eye candy.
Old 04-27-03, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I finally watched my ReplayTV'd episodes of Black Sash, and I couldn't believe what a frikkin' hottie Melissa Peregrym (Tori) is. Whoa!

The blonde girl, Ali (Sarah Carter) is growing on me. But, who is the dance girl with the nice rack/caboose? Yowza!

I have to chuckle whenever Tom has to show up and kick some butt to get him or his students out of the jam they get themselve into. So much for discipline and knowing themselves (so they don't get themselves in hot water). But if they didn't, they'd be monks and no one would tune in to see the weekly slow-mo WWF-style martial arts display.

This show is definitely a guilty viewing pleasure.
Old 04-27-03, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by Patman
This show is definitely a guilty viewing pleasure.
hehhee, the fans are very few and very far between. i think we're in the 1000 or so people nationwide actually watching.