Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Mulholland Drive Reviews?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-03, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mulholland Drive Reviews?

I did a search here on dvdtalk but found nothing. I just recently watched the ring, actually 30 minutes ago and decided to look and see what else naomi watts has been in. This came up. 32.00 dollars for the dvd? I mean whats up with this movie. I saw a few brief things on cdnow but is this movie worth the money or what. Sorry if this is a repost. THanks for the help guys.
-Mike
Old 03-09-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmmmm…..Mulholland Drive. There’s been considerable discussion here on this movie; unfortunately, most of threads contain significant spoilers. You might be better off looking for mainstream reviews. Here’s a link to the DVDTalk review: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=3658. Also the IMDB offers links to external reviews. To locate the numerous MD threads, set the search options to: search all open forums and search from any date.

While not a movie that will appeal to everyone, Naomi Watts gives an amazing performance. It’s a polarizing movie; people love it or hate it—few fall in-between. Here’s my take…

Through the foggy lens of a mystery, Mulholland Drive tells the oft-told tale of a young, bright-eyed Pollyanna (Naomi Watts) from Smallsville who comes to Babylon in search of fame. A twist of fate brings together the aspiring young actress with a woman suffering amnesia (Laura Harring) and the two women set off in search of the amnesiac’s identity.

Sure, that’s the story . . . Just the way a Rorschach Block reveals a pair of creamy breasts or a sleeping dog or a bird in flight. Lynch strings together familiar clichés with the unexpected in a richly textured dreamscape inhabited by a menagerie of bizarre characters engaged in even more peculiar behavior.

Here Lynch harnesses his unique stylistic and narrative techniques to interweave a strangely beautiful nightmare with an assortment of artifacts from waking life. Although derivative of Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet, and Lost Highway, MD is not just a recycling of his old material; it is the vision he has been building toward throughout his career. Perhaps more enigma than mystery, MD will keep you guessing long after the credits roll.
Old 03-10-03, 05:29 AM

alright ill defently rent it before i go out and buy it then. I kinda like those odd movies. And i really like Naomi Watts in The Ring, (man she has a bangin little body on her).
Old 03-10-03, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...hollanddr.html
Old 03-10-03, 08:55 PM

well i watched it and am really puzzled. I dont understand what went on at the end of this movie...what was in that purple box? I just dont know what to say about this movie. Really odd and just left me hanging with so many questions.
Old 03-10-03, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LOL, same here after I finished the movie I like WTF exactly happened here and the same with my friends. Then damn Lynch doesn't put scene selection in his dvds so i had rewatched like the next day and i still was positive on what happened. So I talked with some people who have seen the movie and they gave me there input.
Old 03-10-03, 11:11 PM

Yea i mean, i was understanding most of it up to the point where the key was placed in that purple box, then WTF happened? Its like it was an entirly different movie. I just dont understand it but oh well. THere was some good lesbo scenes =)
Old 03-12-03, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try this link for insight on Mulholland Drive.

http://dir.salon.com/ent/movies/feat...sis/index.html

I didn't like this movie when I saw it in the theater -- it actually frightened me in a strange confusing way. I bought it on DVD, watched it three times within two days, and finally love the movie. Definately a movie you don't just put on for the hell of it, but very thought provoking.
Old 03-24-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any extra features on the disc?
Old 03-24-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just a trailer.

Copies in Korea and France got some interviews, but sacrificed the DTS track.
Old 03-29-03, 03:16 AM
Suspended

I swear those who claim they understand what the hell this movie's talking about was referring to nothing more than the hot lezbo scene. I rented this movie when it came out and watched it 4 times and still came out confused as to what the director's trying to tell the audience. And what's up w/ the dead body? First it was Naomi's body, then it turned into Laura's body. Totally wacked.
Old 03-29-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mulholland Drive is the most straightforward of Lynch's "weird" movies. Perhaps you should try it again in a few years.
Old 03-29-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why does everyone want everything so black and white and paint by numbers? God forbid an artist leaves some room for interpretation in his work.
Mulholland Dr. is the best film of 2001 and ironically Opie robbed David of his chance at an Oscar as best director, ironic because he (Ron Howard) and Grazer produced the PILOT.
Having seen the pilot which I also love, the film is an incredible reworking a testament to the power of editing and creativity.
Old 03-29-03, 10:29 AM

I got a review for you.

AWESOME movie.

Get it.
Old 03-31-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seems like the sound was like loud or something on it...its been a while since ive seen it...but the movie itself was good.
Old 04-02-03, 06:52 PM

I really enjoyed my first viewing. This movie will definately take a few times to decipher.

I bought @ CC and noticed 2 different covers. Is one tougher to find than the other (like Resevoir Dogs SE)? Just wondering.

Rick M.
Old 04-03-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Steps
I bought @ CC and noticed 2 different covers. Is one tougher to find than the other (like Resevoir Dogs SE)? Just wondering.
No, I believe they are both of equal availability.

There is also a chapter listing inside with the cover art printed on it. From what I can tell, the inserts were put in randomly, so you may wind up with the opposite artwork on the insert as you have on the cover. Or maybe not.
Old 04-04-03, 07:59 AM

Probably my favourite movie of all time...very atmospheric. But people are right in saying that you will either love it or hate it. Maybe rent first and watch it a couple of times before you buy.
Old 04-05-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm in the *hate it* category. But, I hate Blue Velvet, too, so I guess I'm not a David Lynch fan. If you like his films, this is probably a good one, though. Ultimately there seems to be no point to the story and the ending is, to me, one of the oldest, lamest "twists." Along with Fargo, this is one of the most-overrated films I've ever seen.

I say definitely do not blindly buy this film...unless you're a Lynch fan. Rent it first.
Old 04-06-03, 11:42 AM

Josh Z;

You are probably correct. My insert is different than the cover art.

Rick M.
Old 04-09-03, 01:34 PM

I don't know what was more stupid, Mulholland Drive or The Ring. Pure garbage on all fronts except for the les scene.

Mulholland Drive made no sense, period.

I watched The Ring, because people were saying this was the scariest movie they have seen in 20 years. What have they been watching for the past 20 years, Bambi!

One Hour Photo, now there was a masterpiece.