Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ok, I'm buying a Gamecube today....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Ok, I'm buying a Gamecube today....

I've been out of the videogame "game" so to speak for many years now. I worked at a game store for five years and I played everything. I got burned out and sold everything b/c I was sick of it all. Well, after reading reviews of Zelda, needless to say I've decided to jump back in. Also, getting one free game is enticing me. So, I'm going to pick up one today. So, what should I get?

Going to definately pick up the system, and the wavebird. Now, my choice of game is kind of tough. I really love the Resident Evil series and I want to play that. I have never been a huge fan of 1st person shooters, but Metroid Prime seems kind of interesting. Any thoughts between the two?

One question about Zelda, if anyone knows. In the n64 versions, w/ you had a control w/ a rumble pack it would rumble if you came near a secret place. Since the wavebird doesn't have a rumble feature, I read that Nintendo will incorporate some type of onscreen clue to show that you've neared a secret. Can anyone confirm/deny that?

Any other game recommendations?
Old 03-09-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sucks.. if you're using a Wavebird.. you'll have to switch out once you get the Stone of Agony, or just ask me.. I remember where the 2 pieces of heart are you find with it..

Other than that.. there's not TOO much important you find with it.. a couple of Gold Spiders I think.. mostly extra money which is not needed.

Waevbird!@#
Old 03-09-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE 0 is good, but frankly I was a little disappointed with it story wise. I think overall the Resident Evil remake is a more solid title(though RE 0 has incredible graphics). I think the remake is 19.99 now at most places. Metroid Prime is awesome though. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it but it's really amazing. Other games that you might want to look into(other than 1 of the 4 you can get for free) are: 007 Nightfire, Godzilla(for some good 4 player monster action), Rogue Leader(I think it's down to 19.99 at best buy) and Super Monkey Ball 1 or 2.
Old 03-09-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I would choose Metroid Prime over Resident Evil. At least to start. You can pick up those later. The first one is really inexpensive and worth playing again on the Cube.

I also enjoyed Eternal Darkness, Super Mario Sunshine, Smash Bros Melee and Pikmin. You might give Animal Crossing a look as well. Its not for everyone, but if you get into it you will get your moneys worth.

You really can't go wrong with the Monkey Ball games either. Frustrating, but fun.
Old 03-09-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk God

I've played the Monkey Ball series, not really my cup of tea. I beat Eternal Darkness when my bro let me borrow his cube when he was in Europe this past summer. Super Smash Bros. has always interested me, but I imagine it's boring w/o playing w/ at least 4 people.

Animal Crossing also looks interesting, but looks too involving. I am a huge RPG guy, so that genre appeals to me. Right now I am going to stick with stuff I can play in small doses, b/c I know Zelda is going to draw me in and I won't be able to do anything other than that for a while.
Old 03-09-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: Ok, I'm buying a Gamecube today....

Originally posted by Deftones

One question about Zelda, if anyone knows. In the n64 versions, w/ you had a control w/ a rumble pack it would rumble if you came near a secret place. Since the wavebird doesn't have a rumble feature, I read that Nintendo will incorporate some type of onscreen clue to show that you've neared a secret. Can anyone confirm/deny that?
I remember reading that in the new Zelda, Link's eyes are very animated. If you watch them carefully, they will point you in the direction of secrets.
Old 03-09-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Buy it at Target, get a taget card and save 10%!!!
Old 03-09-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

RE0 would be my pick.....great game!!!
Old 03-09-03, 12:34 PM

Location: ____St. Louis___ a.k.a. 'Roid Rage in fantasy sports
I almost bought one at walmart yesterday. They had the Mario Sunshine bundle plus a walmart exclusive Metroid bundle both priced at $149.99 plus you get one of the free games on top of that.
Old 03-09-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

brkhrt7, what is one of the free games? is zelda one of them?
Old 03-09-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by young
brkhrt7, what is one of the free games? is zelda one of them?
Zelda is not one of the free games....

RE0, Metroid Prime, Star Fox and Mario Party 4
Old 03-09-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Go with what you know. Nintendo is great for those coming back to gaming, because of the remakes and new versions of classic games. I'd say get RE and Zelda and then maybe rent Metroid if you don't like FPS . Oh, and welcome back to gaming.
Old 03-09-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Ok, so the Best Buy monkeys are not too bright. I went in and got the Super Mario Sunshine bundle and they gave me the free game. I know you aren't supposed to a free one when you buy that bundle, but they gave it to me anyway. So I picked up that, Resident Evil 0, a Wavebird along w/ the Zelda presell. For some reason they had one of the extra discs out. Best Buy, i thought, wasn't giving those away until the new Zelda game came out. So i might be able to pick up another one of the bonus discs for free, but I probably won't.
Old 03-09-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Most people love Skies of Arcadia: Legends for a traditional Japanese RPG fix.

Pikmin is great. Classic Nintendo goodness
Old 03-09-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good choice. Sunshine is way more fun for old school gamers than its reputation would suggest.
Old 03-09-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I know i'm a little late since you already got it, but the next game you should get is Metroid Prime

I also hate most FPS games, but Metroid Prime was the best game I've played in a long time once I got used to the controls, trust me on this one. I just started playing Resident Evil 0 this week, its pretty cool too.
Old 03-09-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Skies of Arcadia has interested me w/ the good review in EGM plus my curiosity of it since the days of Dreamcast.

Metroid has interested me, but I might rent it. The last good FPS I played was Perfect Dark.

On a side note about the BB story: the game didn't ring up for free as it should have if I bought the regular system w/o mario. The CSR (which happens to be an acquaintence) had to call the guy I talked to, but he gave it the thumbs up.
Old 03-09-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If you like RPGs then you should definitely consider Skies of Arcadia. I loved it on the Dreamcast and the new version seems much improved.
Old 03-09-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually I'm a huge RE series FAN, and I probably would have picked up Metroid Prime as the free game (of course that's after having played all the way thru RE0 and only beginning on Metroid Prime). I think Metroid is probably more unlikely to come down in price than RE0. I think Prime would probably give more playing time. I have both RE0 and Prime. Haven't dedicated much time to Prime yet, but I finished RE0.

In any case, welcome back to the fold, and good choice on the cube. Very good deals out there right now.

I'm waiting on a kickin deal on the X-Box so it can join my GC
Old 03-09-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think classifying Metroid Prime as a first person shooter is a bit of a disservice to it. It's really focused on adventure and exploration more than shooting. Either way, at the very least give it a good rental as it's probably the best game out for the Cube at the moment.
Old 03-09-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm not so much interested in how long a game takes to complete. It's whether or not I get enjoyment out of playing it. I've loved all the Resident Evil games so far (not including RE gun survivor). Metroid Prime interests me because of all the great things I've heard about it, but I still have a hard time getting into those types of games. I am sure I will like it, but I'm giving SMS and RE0 a whirl first until Zelda comes out.
Old 03-09-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Deftones
I'm not so much interested in how long a game takes to complete. It's whether or not I get enjoyment out of playing it. I've loved all the Resident Evil games so far (not including RE gun survivor). Metroid Prime interests me because of all the great things I've heard about it, but I still have a hard time getting into those types of games. I am sure I will like it, but I'm giving SMS and RE0 a whirl first until Zelda comes out.
I can understand that. I'm a huge RE fan as well. I picked up the first RE the day it released, about a month before I picked up my cube. RE0 is pretty good due to the two playable characters, etc. Also the difference in inventory mgmt is pretty big without the storage boxes.

As stated you can also find deals on RE and it is definitely worth picking up as well.

I usually don't care about length of games either, as I don't have hours and hours to put into gaming, but many around here do seem to care about the number of hours a game lasts.
Old 03-09-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jasonr114
Buy it at Target, get a taget card and save 10%!!!
was at target tonite and they have packaged GC games with a 251 memory card for 49.99.....remember super mario sunshine and starfox adventures (by the way i have seen both of these games AND metroid prime at sam's club for 24.96-29.96)
Old 03-10-03, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Welcome aboard! I just got my cube too, and I'm loving it. I found the Zelda preorder deal and free Metroid deal too good to pass up.

I don't really like first person shooters either...fortunately, Metroid Prime is NOT like a typical first person shooter in that it doesn't control like one. If anything the control scheme reminds me of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the N64 with the target locking/switching. Jumping is also a much bigger factor in prime. It's an old school platform game in the truest sense of the word. it's honestly as good a game as i've played in a while. The attention to detail is just astounding!

Mario Sunshine is terribly underrated in that it takes some getting used to, but the more you play it, the more impressive it gets. I suspect a lot of people play it for a few minutes and dismiss it because it's either not enough like Mario 64 or too much like Mario 64. Go figure.

Can't really speak to Resident Evil. I loved RE (the first one) when it came out, but the control scheme just felt horribly antiquated when other/better third person shooters came out (Tomb Raider, Syphon Filter, Metal Gear, etc). I played through RE2 with one of the characters, but that was about all I could take.

Zelda will not disappoint. I played through most of Link to the Past this weekend and am a little ways into Master Quest on the bonus disc. If the new one is half as good as those two, it will be an instant classic. If Nintendo put the first two NES Zeldas on a disk and sold it for $30, I'd buy it in a second. You know they already have the NES emulator for Animal Crossing.

Speaking of Animal Crossing...I haven't picked it up yet, but it's fairly inevitable. I'm not really sure what to make of it, but the word of mouth has been amazing.

Finally, Eternal Darkness gets some good word of mouth, and might be a decent alternative to RE. I'll pick it up cheap down the road.

Have fun!
Old 03-10-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by chess

Mario Sunshine is terribly underrated in that it takes some getting used to, but the more you play it, the more impressive it gets. I suspect a lot of people play it for a few minutes and dismiss it because it's either not enough like Mario 64 or too much like Mario 64. Go figure.
Very much agreed. I've been playing this for 2 days now and I've enjoyed it. It's certainly no Mario 64, but I'm pretty sure Shiggy didn't want it that way. I like the control scheme alot. Glad I picked this bundle up rather than the one w/o mario and the memory card.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.