Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Clive Barker's "IMAJICA"

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-03, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Clive Barker's "IMAJICA"

I've tried to start reading this long book again and I can't seem to get into it. I've read Barker's short stories but this one vexes me.

What's it about? I'm at the part where Gentle and Pie are at the strange Prison out in the ocean and I can't seem to get past it without putting the book down.
Old 03-07-03, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I absolutely loved the book.

To me, it is Barker's definitive work, much like King's "The Stand."

I don't normally like long books, as most of them seem to be long-winded just for the sake of being long winded (lots of recent King, pretty much any Clancy), but I savored every single word of Imajica.

I enjoyed the story and its sense of wonder and mystery, as well as the fact that it seemed to be a treatise on Barker's thoughts on love, art, sex, religion, and philosophy.

But I've also heard from a few people who couldn't get into it. Which, I suppose, would apply to almost any book. You aren't going to please everybody.
Old 03-07-03, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So can I at least expect a good ending?
Old 03-07-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I thought the ending was appropriate, but if you aren't digging the book, I'd say there's a good chance you won't like the ending.

Also, if you're particularly religious you might find it somewhat offensive.
Old 03-08-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is one of my all-time fav books!!! I've read it twice and it's fantastic. this is one book that would be impossible to film...it's just too deep. I hated it when they split it up into 2 volumes. I still have the first edition, although the cover is beat to hell!!!!
Old 03-10-03, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks all.

Well, I started this book a long time ago so I guess I'll just continue to chip away at it... because I'm no quitter

gutwrencher, while reading this book I keep thinking THE ONLY way to do IMAJICA would be to do an animated series on HBO or straight to DVD.
Old 03-11-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I've read it twice, and really love it... I should get it in hardback, as my original 1-volume paperback is hardly in readable shape anymore either. I'm ready to read it again... Since it's so big, I forget most of it... I agree that it's probably his most important/definitive work, although Weaveworld and the 2 Books of The Art [Great & Secret Show and Everville] also deserve mention...

Where's that 3rd Art book he promised? *Groan* Clive's output has been frustrating in the past decade or so, with many of the novels seeming unfocused or incomplete, leading to sequels that don't come, etc... I skipped Coldheart Canyon, feeling disheartened after Sacrament and Galilee... Any fans of the book? Should I give in?

And of course, now he's embarked on that big kid's fantasy project, trying to cash in on the Potter phenom for Disney... Has anyone read Abarat? Is it any good?
Old 03-11-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
I thought the ending was appropriate, but if you aren't digging the book, I'd say there's a good chance you won't like the ending.

Also, if you're particularly religious you might find it somewhat offensive.

Old 03-11-03, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by adamblast
I've read it twice, and really love it... I should get it in hardback, as my original 1-volume paperback is hardly in readable shape anymore either. I'm ready to read it again... Since it's so big, I forget most of it... I agree that it's probably his most important/definitive work, although Weaveworld and the 2 Books of The Art [Great & Secret Show and Everville] also deserve mention...

Where's that 3rd Art book he promised? *Groan* Clive's output has been frustrating in the past decade or so, with many of the novels seeming unfocused or incomplete, leading to sequels that don't come, etc... I skipped Coldheart Canyon, feeling disheartened after Sacrament and Galilee... Any fans of the book? Should I give in?

And of course, now he's embarked on that big kid's fantasy project, trying to cash in on the Potter phenom for Disney... Has anyone read Abarat? Is it any good?
You skipped Coldheart Canyon too huh? I wanted to read it but something told me to skip it and I don't know why. Adamblast, did you hear that the main character was based on Tom Cruise? I thought I heard that but I wasn't sure.
Old 03-11-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Adamblast, did you hear that the main character was based on Tom Cruise? I thought I heard that but I wasn't sure.
Yes, I know I heard that somewhere once, too... Of course, it might only have been you sometime in the past few years...
Old 03-11-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes, I know I heard that somewhere once, too... Of course, it might only have been you sometime in the past few years...
Old 03-11-03, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the 2 Books of The Art [Great & Secret Show and Everville] also deserve mention...

... I skipped Coldheart Canyon, feeling disheartened after Sacrament and Galilee... Any fans of the book? Should I give in?

The Great and Secret Show is one of my favs as well. Coldheart Canyon I had signed by Clive so I figured I best read it...otherwise it might be taken(by me) as a hidden insult. I'm only about 50 pages in so....

..and I did love Galilee, not his best I know...but it was a decent read. have not got aquainted with Abarat. how long has it been out?

peace,
Gut
Old 03-12-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gutwrencher
have not got aquainted with Abarat. how long has it been out?
It's still in hardback only, came out last October... It's the first volume of four books planned a new series called the Books of Abarat-- targeted at teens and pre-teens--with a female protagonist... Before writing it, he pitched the series to Disney for multi-millions and they bought it -- so it's likely to turn into a movie fantasy franchise eventually...

Here's some of the mixed Amazon editorial reviews...