Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Advance Wars: Change Profile Name?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-03, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Advance Wars: Change Profile Name?

I just sold my Advance Wars on Half.com, the buyer just got the game and asked me how he can change the user name from my name to his name. Because I don't have the game and the instruction mannual anymore, I figure maybe you guys can help me out on this! Thanks in advance!
Old 03-05-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
I'm sorry I don't have the manual but I believe that you hold some buttons while you turn it on. either L&R or Select and Start or all four.

*edit* this will totally wipe the game though. it's back to square one. just to let you know.

BTW How could you sell the game? That game has probably the most replay value of almost any game. I guess I am not really one to sell my games.
Old 03-05-03, 03:18 PM

Tanman, I have to agree with you, this is a very addictive game. I stayed up all night for the first couple nights when I first got this game, then my wife banned me from playing it.

Thanks for your help! : )
Old 03-05-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ottolam
Tanman, I have to agree with you, this is a very addictive game. I stayed up all night for the first couple nights when I first got this game, then my wife banned me from playing it.

Thanks for your help! : )
Your wife banned you from playing it! that is funny I guess she is not the one in the new game boy SP advertisement in the other thread. Just don't tell her what the SP is and say you are doing some work on your new PDA
Old 03-05-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
As tanman stated its a button combo when turning the game on, but it wipes everything out.

Deleted saved games
Platform: GameBoy Advance

Hold L + R + Select when turning on the Game Boy Advance.
Old 03-06-03, 07:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm one the copter training missions on this game right now...I love it so far! I never thought I'd enjoy an game like this, but with all the great reviews it recieved I thought I'd give it a try...

Don't forget, you can pick up this game, and any other 2 1st party Nintendo games at EB this month and get a $25 gift voucher!

FS
Old 03-06-03, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the info. I have emailed it to the buyer. Hope it helps him to start a new profile!
Old 04-21-03, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i was wondering about this, good thing i searched for this topic...

i have a different advance wars question, and this relates to actually playing the game:

in the War Room maps, do you find it necessary to have more advanced CO's for the longer maps (the ones further down the list)? i had a hell of a time with one map where i was fighting the CO w/ the Sniper Attack - i was Andy, in case you're curious. i got up to turn 60 or something and i just gave up. it was too long for me.

do you find there are good match-ups? andy vs. drake is good because whenever drake unleashes his typhoon, you can just counter it w/ Andy's fix-up. any other good match-ups that ya'll can think of?

thanks!
-di doctor-
Old 04-21-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

just got this game on half.com. only about an hour in, but i can tell already that i'm gonna love it.
Old 04-21-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

do you find there are good match-ups? andy vs. drake is good because whenever drake unleashes his typhoon, you can just counter it w/ Andy's fix-up. any other good match-ups that ya'll can think of?
I've played all but 5 or so of the War Room maps, and I've found that almost all of the time, Max is the best CO to use for quick victories. I usually just build lots of Med Tanks + AntiAir and keep pounding until it's over. Max is clearly the best CO for most maps.

Sami is a good CO to use for a lightning-fast victory. Sometimes you can load up a bunch of T-copters with infantry and drop them all at once around a HQ, and end the game in about 10 turns or so.

Grit is a good CO to use when the odds are really stacked against you from the get-go, and there are a few key choke pts. Hold the front line with infantry (you'll need to keep replacing them as they die), back them up with artillery, and slowly start replacing artillery with rockets. Then advance your front line to victory.

There are a few maps where Drake is useful - the ones with lots of water.

Andy is a useless CO in the War Room. His specialty is repair, which is a defensive technique. Advance Wars gives a huge advantage to units that are offensive and initiate a battle.

I haven't used Kanbei yet. His units are too expensive, and in every War Room map, you already start out with so few resources compared to the computer opponent.

The longest War Room game I've had so far was a little under 30 turns.
Old 04-21-03, 09:52 PM

anybody have any idea when AW2 is going to be released?

thanks for the advice, joshic!
-di doctor-
Old 04-22-03, 04:15 AM

just for those of you who are curious, AW2 is scheduled to come out in late June, according to IGN.com.
-di doctor-
Old 04-22-03, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

ack...got this in the mail yesterday and thought i'd go to bed and play for an hour or so before i crashed...looked up and it was 4 hours later, 2:30 AM. i get up at 5:30, so i'm feeling it this morning.

I'm still figuring out some of the nuances and formulating a basic strategy. i'm on the weather training mission, but i keep getting a "B". GREAT GAME! easily my favorite GBA game so far!

now, if you'll excuse me, i'm going to crawl under my desk.
Old 04-30-03, 05:38 PM

okay, i need some help. i'm doing the advanced campaign and cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to beat the level titled "Kanbei's Error?" there's fog of war and you need to capture "x" number of cities to win. he has bombers surrounding the frickin' island where i am starting... any suggestions? strategies?

no matter what i do, it doesn't seem to work. if i move my aerial units out first, they shoot them down and bomb the lone unit i may dump off with the transport copter. if i build a defensive wall, i get bombed into the stone age. plus, i don't receive enough funds to do be able to build anything significant...

as you can tell, i'm slightly upset that i can't figure this frickin' level out. any advice? thanks in advance... pun slightly intended.
-di doctor-
Old 05-01-03, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

wish i could remember that level doc...

if it's the one i'm thinking of, it seems difficult early on, but once you figure it out, you'll beat it in about 10-12 days.

rather than step by step, i'll just give a few clues.

protect your helicopters until you destroy his aircraft.
bypass the other islands and go directly for his base.

just hope i'm thinking of the right one.
Old 05-01-03, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

nevermind, it's not the one i was thinking of...

missed the fog of war part. i pretty much got lucky on this one. i think i was down to my last few units when i captured the last city. i don't really like fog of war missions. just try to remember that you can hide your guys as well, so stay in the trees.
Old 05-01-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe that the first time I got lucky and was down to my last unit. Otherwise try a strong unified approach. If that doesn't work try a disjointed every unit for themselves approach and you may get lucky.

Or try gamefaqs.com
Old 05-01-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you using the "B" button to scan enemy units? This is essential - it allows you to see the attack range of enemy units on their next turn, so you can move your units accordingly.

I finished the campaign, and finished all but the last mission in the War Room (haven't started that one yet)... I never had to do a level more than twice. The game is pretty easy if you have experience with other war/strategy games. Just remember that in Advance Wars, it's all about playing range games - keep your units just out of range of enemy units to lure them in, and then pound them all at once when you can.

Except in fog of war missions, don't build recon units. They are worthless. Tanks are also useless - use med tanks instead and anti-air units for your primary ground direct-combat units. Missle units also have very limited utility; anti-air units are better in almost every situation.
Old 05-01-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Joshic
Except in fog of war missions, don't build recon units. They are worthless. Tanks are also useless - use med tanks instead and anti-air units for your primary ground direct-combat units. Missle units also have very limited utility; anti-air units are better in almost every situation.
i agree for the most part, especially about using range to your advantage. sometimes, i build APCs just to draw him in and then slam him with med tanks.

a few points of contention:

tanks are useful against the artillery sniper guy because of their added range...and sometimes when you need to defend a bottleneck and don't have a ton of $$$.

i find the recon units useless EVEN during fog of war missions, but maybe that's just me. they make cheap distractions for the enemy, but APCs are much better in that regard since the enemy AI just loves to go after them.

for some reason, i don't find the AA units nearly as worthwhile as others do because they are absurdly vulnerable to tanks and artillery.

there is nothing more gratifying than plopping a missile unit on a city and sniping/refueling every turn. not much bang for the buck though, and not much range.

what i like is that the level designs give you a time and place for pretty much every type of unit. what bothers me is that once you notice some of the tendencies of the AI, it gets a bit easy to manipulate. it's still a very deep little strategy game and is a wonderful, addictive diversion.
Old 05-01-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tanman
I believe that the first time I got lucky and was down to my last unit. Otherwise try a strong unified approach. If that doesn't work try a disjointed every unit for themselves approach and you may get lucky.
i like a unified attack in most fog missions because it makes for a lot of targets. when a unit gets hammered by some out of range rocket launcher, you just retreat it to the last city you captured and let it catch up after it recharges. it also keeps bombers from picking and choosing your troops. it pretty much hits you once and gets smoked by AA.
Old 05-01-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, the AI is a little bit lax. I hope they fix it the second time around. It is still a very challenging game despite this though.

So what are you best moments in AW, highest scores in the War Room. My favorite is one of the earlier ones against Grit. I can sweep over him with Max and actually got a perfect score before 999

Last edited by tanman; 05-01-03 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-01-03, 05:29 PM

hey, thanks for the advice guys! unfortuantely, most to all of it is entirely useless considering the particular mission...

most of you are assuming that i am dealing with a single land mass, when in reality i'm dealing with a lot of small islands, making ground assault/strategy impossible. especially in fog of war. surrounded by aerial units and ground units on every other island besides mine. where i have three cities, the palace, one factory, and one airport. doesn't offer much in the way of income.

although, now that i think of it, i might just have a solution...
-di doctor-