Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyway to overlay new subtitles onto an original DVD?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-03, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mother rents these horrible looking tapes of U.S. movies with chinese subtitles added to it. Even if I have the DVDs for those movies, she can't watch them since region 1 dvds usually don't have chinese subtitles.

Is there resources out there to display new subtitles onto a DVD? I would imagine that all it takes is a modified dvd software player that would play a DVD and also display text from an separate file.

Thanks!
Old 03-05-03, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a possibility if you watch DVDs on your computer. There's lots of different programs (I use DVD Subber) and some places on the net, wehere you can download the subtitle files. One of them is Scriptclub (you'll have to register but it's free).
The problem will be to get Chinese subtiltes as there aren't that many people in need of them. I think most Chinese speaking people buy their Hollywood flicks on Hong Kong DVD or watch bootlegs. The subtitle-scripts you get are usually English translations for Japanese DVDs that come w/o subtitles.
Old 03-05-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Yeah, the studios release R3 versions of most US films with optional Chinese subtitles. If you have a region-free player you could buy these copies instead. A lot of them are identical to the R1 release, just with Chinese subs for the feature.

www.dvdshelf.com would be a good place to look. www.dddhouse.com and www.hivizone.com also have a selection of US films on DVD.