episodes?
Old 03-04-03, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes.
Old 03-04-03, 12:55 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it just me or does it seem like it would be impossible for a new viewer to start watching Angel right now? I've started watching several shows after they've been on a long time before, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen a show keep one storyline running this long before. I feel kind of bad for anyone who's just watching for Faith. IMO Angel's by far the best show on TV right now and it's a shame these people can't watch the season from the begining or wait for the dvds. I know I might sound like an elitist or something, but I'd hate to have the numerous surprises Angel has thrown at us this year be spoiled.
Old 03-04-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by nny
Is it just me or does it seem like it would be impossible for a new viewer to start watching Angel right now? I feel kind of bad for anyone who's just watching for Faith.
Yes, I expect it to be completely non-sensical for me to jump in on Angel now, but since the Faith storyline will overlap with BtVS I thought I would give it a shot.

I tried watching Angel when the series started, but it didn't hook me for whatever reason. However, I have heard nothing but glowing reviews for the show lately, and there have been times when I sort of wished I had stuck it out.

For me, though, I'm watching for Faith, just to see how she begins her journey back to Sunnydale...........
Old 03-04-03, 02:54 PM
Banned

Angel isnt the same show it was when it premiered. Its much better.

Goodluck trying to make sense of everything.
Old 03-04-03, 03:49 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally posted by nny
Is it just me or does it seem like it would be impossible for a new viewer to start watching Angel right now?
Yep. Angel is the only charcter that is basically the same type of charcter he was on Buffy, though he is Angelus now. Cordy and Wes are the only other familiar charcters and they are totally different from their Buffy days.
Old 03-04-03, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I could understand an elitist point of view if they had Faith &/or Angel strip down to a bikini [twice], label Angel & the gang's HQ, or destroy everything the show's been building towards in one 15 minute montage like another show on the air ::cough Alias cough::. But they're not. This is tied into Buffy. Expect a lot of late comers and hopefully they'll [me included] be impressed enough to hang around long after Faith gets her sexy leather-clad booty back to Sunnydale.

Assuming Angel survives the merging of the shows..

Assuming Angel gets renewed..
Old 03-04-03, 07:26 PM
Banned

Yes, if it gets renewed.
This is preforming good so why would they cancel it unless they want to get back at Joss for switching networks.
WB doesnt really have anything else thats good anyway, except maybe Smallville but it still doesnt come close to "Angel."
Old 03-04-03, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by cooper2000
Yes, if it gets renewed.
This is preforming good so why would they cancel it unless they want to get back at Joss for switching networks.
WB doesnt really have anything else thats good anyway, except maybe Smallville but it still doesnt come close to "Angel."
Quality is subjective, what the WB does have is shows that get better numbers than Angel, and that of course is the language of TV execs.

Helping the cause though is that Dawson's Creek is going off the air, losing an entire night of programming would leave a very big whole in their programming strategy.

As for what Angel was and what it is....I have to agree with what's been said, the show is so much better (and different) than when it started. I started watching the first season but bailed half way through and didn't jump back on until late in season 2. I know it sucks in terms of getting new viewers, but I love shows where they stick with a single storyline at length.
Old 03-04-03, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by nny
Is it just me or does it seem like it would be impossible for a new viewer to start watching Angel right now?
It is not just you that has noticed this. After finishing the first season of Angel on DVD I cannot believe how much the show has changed. It just never hit me until I saw the DVD's. I have seen every episode of Angel since it started and around the end of the second season, when the gang met Fred and Lorne, the producers dropped the whole Angel Investigations demon of the week format and changed it to the epic, serialized storyline that we have today. Just to go on record, Angel was my second favorite show, non-animation, during it's first two seasons and Buffy was number one. After the format change Angel jumped to number one for me. I am really hoping that it doesn't get cancelled because it is one of the best on TV. Although, if it does get cancelled maybe DB can become the big movie star that everyone thinks he can be. I will be pulling for him...afterall, he is from my hometown and I still watch his Father broadcast the weather everyday!
Old 03-04-03, 09:18 PM

I don't think it'll be too hard for people just watching "Angel" for Faith's appearance to follow what's going on. I only started watching at the end of season 3 and I had no problems following the storyline. Isn't that what the "Previously on 'Angel'" intros at the begining of each show is for?
Old 03-04-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 331 Likes on 216 Posts
I think it would be possible for someone to pick up what 's going on after a few show, but they'd miss the little details (and not even know it).

I tried watching from halfway through season 3 and it couldn't keep my interest. Then on a whim I bought season 1 on ebay, really liked it, and bought season 2 at Amazon. After downloading the eps of 3 that I'd missed, I "got it" and liked the show enough to watch it on tv.
Old 03-05-03, 01:57 PM
Banned

this should help you 12th Monkey.
It will bring you up to date on the events of faith....

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/...s/1102920.html
Old 03-05-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
this should help you 12th Monkey.
It will bring you up to date on the events of faith....

http://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com/...s/1102920.html

thanks!
Old 03-05-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
I really don't want Angel to get cancelled, and numbers seem to indicate that it shouldn't, but the WB really does seem to have it in for this show with all of the date switching.
Old 03-05-03, 04:42 PM
Banned

I dont think moving it to Wednesday was necesarrily a bad thing. Its better than where it was on Sundays.
There an email address or phone number where we can weigh in our opinions?
Old 03-05-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

There an email address or phone number where we can weigh in our opinions?
Best place to voice your opinions is on Wednesday nights at 9E/8C.