Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sophie Marceau's La Boum(BOXSET) due April 16...Could you translate this for me?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Sophie Marceau's La Boum(BOXSET) due April 16...Could you translate this for me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-03, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dvdshoppingcenter.com has La Boum/La Boum 2(boxset) as coming out on April 16. Neither amason.fr nor cinestore have any info regarding this pre-release.

I would like to ask however if someone could translate this for me...on the single versions of both La Boum and La Boum 2 there is no indication if there will be english subs however on the boxset there's something like this:

"Synopsis and Special Features : Résumé et Bonus(Version Anglaise)"

what is this suppose to mean....subs for the boxset? or subs only for the special features....this does not make any sense......or am i missing something here?

By the way here's the link to the set (with a pic):

http://www.dvdshoppingcenter.com/fiche.asp?id=30357

Please, let me know (if you could translate this that would be great...or at least give me an idea what you think the box wil be like....as I am dying to own this).

There's a Korean version available but only with Korean subs....which I do not like at all.
Old 03-01-03, 09:49 PM

It's also clearly stated:

subtitles: none.

Bad luck. (I too was in love with her at that time...)
Old 03-01-03, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

well......THAT'S WHY I ASKED....I see that it says subtitles:none.....HOWEVER.....why will they include "Version Anglaise" in the specs?.....

Something is missing here......
Old 03-02-03, 04:50 AM

Sorry, my mistake.
Old 03-02-03, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...langues: Français...only

...Sous-titres: Français...only

...according to this description of the three-disc(!!!) set...

...sooo sorry!...

. . . . . .
Old 03-02-03, 07:56 AM

How popular was La Boum in UK and US? Maybe they will release it there later on...
Old 03-02-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

o, well....thank's Hendrik...I am still curious however WHY would it say "version anglaise"....I guess we shall wait and see.

on a side note.....I can guarantee that these 2 films will never be released on DVD in the States......as far as Britain...there might be a slight chance there but I doubt it again......

What is the problem that the French have with English subbing anyway....I would guess that by providing subs for this film(and not just this one) they would increase their sales tremendously....forget about the US (assuming that they dont like us) but you have more than half of Europe speaking English...WHICH IS NOT THE CASE WITH FRENCH!!!

O, well.........
Old 03-02-03, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...but you have more than half of Europe speaking English..."

...erm... now that is certainly debatable... you seem to leave out XXX million German-language Europeans (Germany, Austria, and the larger part of Switzerland - and Liechtenstein, too!)... XXX million Italians - who, I assure you do not 'speak English' as a matter of course... nor do the XXX million Spaniards... nor do the XXX million Portuguese (if anything, the latter group would be more inclined to know French!)...

...while we're at it: what is the problem that the Americans have with German/Italian/Portuguese, etc. subbing anyway...?...

(...haven't we been through all this before...?...)

. . . . . .
Old 03-02-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
When I read pro-bassoonist's post earlier I was going to reply:

Oh, oh... eXcentris goes in the corner and waits for Hendrik to come and set him (pro-basoonist) straight.
Old 03-02-03, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

well.....since we at it...Yes, we have discussed this before....however....

why dont we compare the ratio between the US(or shall I say region 1 dvds) that include French and Spanish subs to the amount of discs that France produces with English subs(or Spanish for that matter). I am sure that such comparision will be quite interesting.....

Second off...nearly every Central and East European country, I am sure, could "handle" English sub tracks....I highly doubt it that this is the case with the French language.

In America(North America?) additional sub tracks are provided based on what societal group, OTHER THAN ANGLO-SPEAKERS, could benefit from an additional language being included..HENCE...Spanish/French....I do not think that either German, or Italian, or Portuguese could be regarded as such. French (Canada) and Spanish(US) are certainly in this group.

In Europe, If you could compare the number of countries using English(or could benefit from it) I am sure that you could include quite a few...nearly every EU country, Ex-Eastern block, and even Russia(though Russia is not R2). All that I am saying is that by providing English sub track the market share seems to be widening quite a bit as opposed to having only one language included (FOR the benefit of the French of course).

In fact Hendrik, I stand behind my words and if I would have to change anything from my earlier post it would be from "speak" to "understand".
Old 03-03-03, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...but you are forgetting one important thing: the Dutch speak Dutch / the Danes speak Danish / the Norwegians speak Norwegian / the Swedes speak Swedish / the Finns speak Finnish / the Poles speak Polish / the Chzechs speak Czech / some - but by no means all!!! - Belgians are proficient in both French and Dutch (Flemish, if you will) - both are official languages in that country / some - but by no means all!!! - Swiss are proficient in German, French, Italian - only three of the four official languages in that country / the French speak French / Italians speak Italian / Spaniards speak Spanish or Catalan, depending on where they live (many Spanish DVDs are subtitled in Catalan, a few even have Catalan dubs) / the Portuguese speak Portuguese... see: NO ENGLISH ANYWHERE ...

...frankly, I don't see why you persist in your totally off-the-wall assumption that all these people would 'understand' English subs - the average European would 'understand' them no more than the average American would understand French or German subs...

...WHEREAS in the United States of America and in the larger part of Canada English is spoken... now it so happens that there is a French-language Canadian province - that is the ONLY reason why many - but by no means all!!! - R1 DVDs of US origin have French subs, namely so they can be sold in that French-speaking part of Canada, as well as in the remaining, English-speaking part of that country...

...ALSO: contrary to what you claim, not that many R1 DVDs of US origin have SPANISH subs (even though there are a gazillion Spanish-speaking people living in and around Miami alone, and even though there is one All-Spanish-Speaking sort-of part of the US: Puerto Rico) - there is a reason for that, too: Mexico! and other Spanish-language Central- and South-American countries, such as Chile, Argentina, Venezuela, Guatemala, to name a few... these countries are located in Region 4 and have their very own, dubbed-into-Spanish DVDs...

...I could go on and on... and on...

...ahh... fuggetit!

...sigh...

. . . . . .
Old 03-03-03, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...fyi... SOME Spanish DVDs of Spanish movies have English subs... many more do not (I ordered Amores perros with a dts soundtrack because I noted that it had English subs - when I got the disc, it turned out that it didn't have subs - English or otherwise - after all...)... SOME Italian DVDs of Italian movies have English subs... many more do not... SOME Czech DVDs of Czech movies have subs in the major EUROPEAN languages, including English - but what good is that if the site you can order them from is all in Czech? I ask you... SOME Polish DVDs of Polish movies have subs in the major EUROPEAN languages, including Russian and English - I ordered some Andrzej Wajda films, but I challenge you to navigate a Polish-only site without some help... there are at least two Finnish DVDs of Finnish movies that have English subs - the site to order these is in Finnish or Swedish - so are the titles of the movies - I challenge you to navigate this site...

...and so it goes...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 03-03-03 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-04-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Hendrik, I respect your opinion a lot however, frankly, I am quite a bit amused how you can clam that by not providing English subs the French are not limiting the market share they could otherwise gain. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT REGION 2 not just France (please look at my post…I never said that we are discussing just the French market).

Furthermore, what is the point of your statement that:

“but you are forgetting one important thing: the Dutch speak Dutch / the Danes speak Danish / the Norwegians speak Norwegian / the Swedes speak Swedish / the Finns speak Finnish / the Poles speak Polish / the Czechs speak Czech / some - but by no means all!!! - Belgians are proficient in both French and Dutch (Flemish, if you will)”

I pointed out that many Europeans WILL benefit from English subs (shall I also remind you that there are many other countries that speak and use English outside of Europe that are still R2- South Africa, the middle East…..these people DO UNDERSTAND English and could be a major buying force). I do not see why we need to argue about this..English is the universal language and by not providing it certain dvd profits that the French could otherwise generate are simply not possible (with the exclusion of the above mentioned English sub-track).

Let me however entertain your idea that the "average" European will not understand English (which if you include Eastern Europe in this mix I totally disagree)…even if you add up those that are “non-ordinary”, hence do UNDERSTAND English, and compare them with the amount of people that are fluent in only French you have a HUGE number of customers...(in favor of the English speakers of course)-A BUYING FORCE anyone should pay attention to….(on a side note ...that’s why there is a French track on many R1/Canadian releases and even the dreaded French bilingual covers are provided...though French speakers are not as big R1 group as the Spanish speakers for example....THEY STILL MATTER ....THEY GENERATE PROFITS/ BIGGER SALES). You are not trying to tell me that the French are not interested in making huge profits from their dvd releases, ARE YOU? Frankly I do not believe that anyone restores a movie and then releases it just out of some sentimental reasons.
Lets not even get into the fact that there is a huge "ignorance issue" pertaining to the fact that the French are not in favor of subtracks in general. As pointed by one of the members on this forum MANY FRENCH DISCS DO NOT INCLUDE FRENCH SUBS!!
How many mainstream US titles you know of do not incude either subs or caps? I am sure you will have to spend some time to dig up a few........

And what is the relevance of your statement that

“SOME Polish DVDs of Polish movies have subs in the major EUROPEAN languages, including Russian and English - I ordered some Andrzej Wajda films, but I challenge you to navigate a Polish-only site without some help... there are at least two Finnish DVDs of Finnish movies that have English subs - the site to order these is in Finnish or Swedish - so are the titles of the movies - I challenge you to navigate this site..”.

I will say it again BY NOT INCLUDING THE ENGLISH language, more so as an option on a web based dvd retailer….well…..that’s just their loss. Many will not be able to buy their products that otherwise inclide English subs. It is as simple as that. For the record, I have ordered many Danish and Swedish dvds that DO CONTAIN ENGLISH subs though the sites I got them from did not have an English option. It is one thing to translate a web site and figure out how to order a movie that offers English as a language track it is another thing to exclude the English speaking customers totally.(specific example: DVDOO.com...I have bought more than 15 titles from them.....I DO NOT SPEAK DANISH)!!!

I mean I really could go on and no….however I believe it is utterly pointless.

For the record again…I do respect your opinion a lot however I think that you’re on a wrong track with this one….(then again as many times before I could be wrong!!!!)

Ps
Excentris….thank you for your sarcasm….

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-04-03 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-04-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

pro-bassoonist: ...somehow, you only seem to fulminate against French DVD makers (of French movies), although Spanish DVD makers (of Spanish movies), Italian DVD makers (of Italian movies), and German DVD makers (of German movies) are every bit as remiss as far as providing English (or other language) subs for their discs, while UK DVD makers (of UK movies) generally don't provide French, or German, or Italian, or Spanish (let alone Russian, Czech, Hungarian, Polish, etc.) subs on their discs...

...and how/why do you think it would benefit a German, a Pole, a Russian,
a Croat, a Dutchman, a Czech, a Spaniard if a French-language movie were available with English subs?...

...you say you "have ordered many Danish and Swedish dvds that DO CONTAIN ENGLISH subs" - were these DVDs of Danish and Swedish movies??? "many"??? really??? which Danish and/or Swedish movie titles??? just curious - in fact, I'd love to know!... (...I just checked DVDoo: unless I'm very much mistaken, one obvious Swedish movie, and two obvious Danish movies - Festen and Idioterne are provided with Danish subs only... (btw: the Norwegian DVDstrax site offers the same Swedish movie with Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish subs only))

...perhaps you are just peeved that the two La Boum movies don't have English subs, thus depriving you of seeing the very young, very lovely, very succulent - even then! - Ms. Marceau...

...no matter... frankly I'm tired of arguing further, so let us just agree to disagree...

*P*E*A*C*E*

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 03-05-03 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-05-03, 07:30 PM

To come back to the original goal of the post...

pro-bassoonist, this is a quick translation of the ad:
Audio: french only
Subs: none (not even french)

English, french, italian and trailers. Audio comment from Pinoteau. Still gallery. Music Doc. Making-of of a new star born and impact of the movie. Casting try out. Karaoke. Concert of Vladimir Cosma. What have they become?

So the "version anglaise" is for the trailer.

And to come back to French people, all the one I know have a very poor (if existent) English. It is not an important second/third language there. And most of them have a big problem with that coming living in French Canada, where English is almost mandatory in many workplaces.

Wish you luck for a UK or US release!
Old 03-06-03, 01:01 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Originally posted by Hendrik
[B]...and how/why do you think it would benefit a German, a Pole, a Russian,
a Croat, a Dutchman, a Czech, a Spaniard if a French-language movie were available with English subs?...

I believe it should be obvious, but his point is that a German, a Pole, a Russian, a Croat, a Dutchman, if interested in French films, would have an easier time (and prefer) English subs rather than any other language (excluding their own of course). If it would be a choice between understanding nothing and having subtitles from a 2nd language, obviously the later would be a choice. Hence, the French are doing a disservice (to their own language and culture) by not providing English subtitles . . . for film buffs (not many people other than that will be interested in foreign films that are not dubbed or subtitled in their OWN language). The DVD industry is geared towards the average Joe . . . and to the realities of cultures and languages in respective countries. So, you are both right . . . and wrong. Although Hendrik was more interested in pushing his POV than listening I must note.

Of course, Germans prefer (like the French and extending southward into western Europe) bastardized dubbed versions of films (which is a joke in parts of the world that use subtitles as opposed to dubbing). I find it no coincidence that in Scandinavian countries, as well as in Holland, that their vast superiority with the English language (compared to the rest of continental Europe) is directly proportional to the fact that they DO NOT dub English/American films/TV shows, etc. (in addition to superior language education received in school).
Old 03-06-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

http://www.dvdoo.com/dvdoo/film.asp?Command=10165
Old 03-07-03, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...erm... you're cheating!... that is NOT a Danish movie, and nor is it even a specifically Danish DVD... rather it is a so-called 'Pan-European' release of this French flick, available in countries outside France... note that this Columbia Tristar disc features English, French, Russian and Hungarian DD 2.0 soundtracks, as well as a mono Spanish soundtrack, plus optional subtitles in twenty (20!!!) languages...

(Note: CTR does this a lot, it seems - I have an Australian CTR disc of Gone In 60 Seconds which - to pep up that lame duck of a flick - I watched with the Hungarian soundtrack ON and the Icelandic subtitles ON - that was a definite improvement!...)

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 03-07-03 at 03:04 AM.
Old 03-07-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I was away for a few days so I am going to answer some of the questions and then I believe we shall concur to disagree…I am not going to argue again whether or not the French are biased and so on….

First of all Hendrik, as I mentioned before I value your opinion a lot (or so I thought) and therefore I find it rather amusing that you tend to be so sarcastic. The purpose of this forum is to discuss movies and I will attempt to follow its primary function.

Yes, I did intend to criticize only French dvd distributors in my original post..... as there are a few obvious reasons WHY. Whether you want to agree with me or not, the French have the "lion" share of the DVD market in Europe and therefore I would assume that many of their movies should be accessible for the rest of the continent that speaks/utilizes primarily English(lets not argue about this OK?). Again, whether you would like to agree or not English is the universal language and unlike what your post indicates much larger percentage of people use it as a form of communication.
I don’t believe that it is fair to compare Germany, Poland, Italy, Croatia, or any other country for that matter as far as cinematic input is concerned. What I mean by this is that the French are the leaders in moviemaking in Europe....it is as simple as that. I am not saying that there are no other significant movies compared to the French-there are a number of “classic” Italian, German, Dutch, Polish, Swedish, movies HOWEVER compared to the number of titles that the French boast the ratio is definitely in favor of the French. THAT IS WHY I NEVER DIRECTED MY POST TOWARDS THE REST OF THE EUROPEAN distributors.

I am sure that if you pick the majority of collectors out here and compare their movies, as far as European cinema is concerned, the French will probably have the bigger share again. How many contemporary Russian movies you have per year that come to DVD throughout Europe? How many Italian, how many Polish, how many German, Croatian? NOT NEARLY CLOSE TO THE AMOUNT OF MOVIES THAT COME OUT OF FRANCE! That’s why my post concerns the French-pretty simple really!

To answer your second question/comment….YES, people will benefit from English subs immensely. That’s why you have channels like FILMNET in Scandinavia and the rest of Europe showing US/Anglo movies in their original language. That’s why you have Starzone in Eastern Europe showing US movies without subs-ONLY IN ENGLISH!! People do understand and use English! Yes there are many “dubbed” German channels as well but they are more of an option put together with the number of satellite channels offering authentic Anglo productions.

A number of countries in Europe, to be more specific, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Finland, Iceland, Sweden, Norway, DO SHOW movies in English without subs. In Eastern Europe English is nearly mandatory nowadays and is regarded as essential for your higher education for example. Sadly, that is not the case with French.

Whether or not the French like to regard us, Americans, as non-cultured, I don’t really care. Yes, there is a lot of arrogance that the French exude and the DVD market is not an exception (for that matter as mentioned before often even FRENCH subs are not included).

Seven or eight years ago I was in Lyon and do remember well the French outcry that the Anglo dominated Internet was going to hurt French interests immensely. I remember how American billboards of American ads HAD TO BE in French…..DO YOU? (if they could only translate PEPSI in French..hmmmmm)!!

I was born in Europe and REMEMBER pretty well how years ago the French lost their influence just like the Russians wanted to dominate the Eastern block and never managed to "culturate" it. However the difference is that the Russian lost because of political reasons, the French lost because of their arrogance and unwillingness to accept other “non-cultured” races. That’s why the slums of Paris and other metropolitan cities are packed with Arab immigrants and “non-educated” foreigners...non-native speakers as it appears (does the name of Jean-Marie le Pan ring a bell with anyone....his ideas of "pure" France, the revival of the lost national pride, his detest of multiculturalism???!!!!). So, lets not go into politics here OR examples where you ask me why I dont direct my comments towards other European nations.

It is sad that the French consistently have a problem with us ...Americans….it is funny you hold such a grudge against my view on their DVD industry. After all if you look at my past posts I have been one of the few members on this forum to push their movies and dvd releases, ONLY because I like film…not politics.

Last but not least, the Scandinavian market does use English subs and I will post the couple of movies I bought from DVDOO.com which unlike you are indicating in your post have more than 2 movies containing an optional English track.

Blinkende Lygkter (Danish with ENGLISH SUBS) but WHY???
http://www.dvdoo.com/dvdoo/film.asp?Command=5225

Gamle Maend (Danish)
http://www.dvdoo.com/dvdoo/film.asp?Command=8955

Polle Fiction
http://www.dvdoo.com/dvdoo/film.asp?Command=8335

Pusher
http://www.dvdoo.com/dvdoo/film.asp?Command=3806
(with a much better transfer ala Pulp Fiction)

amd last but not least a PAN-EUROPEAN release of LA FEMME NIKITA currently OOP in the US.
http://www.dvdoo.com/dvdoo/film.asp?Command=10165

Strangely enough there is no French sub track but there is an English one provided.

so lets not argue anymore and please do not be so sarcastic in your posts ("HA"??)...as I value too much your opinion and would like to discuss movies....not attack other people's views on certain issues.

Best wishes,
Pro-basoonist

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-08-03 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-08-03, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

For the record!

By the way....the post before this one(THE ONE WITH THE SINGLE DVDOO LINK) was from a hotel room where I sort of deleted my entire reply without intending to and had to re-write it. So, I did not cheat....only part of my post showed up.!!!

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-08-03 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-08-03, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

pro-bassoonist:...re: "Nikita"... you say "Strangely enough there is no French sub track but there is an English one provided."... it should be OBVIOUS that a French sub track would be REDUNDANT, since there is ALSO a FRENCH disc, aimed at the French-language market (which includes France proper, the tiny principality of Monaco, about half of Belgium, a small part of Switzerland, French overseas possessions, and former French colonies - except Canada)...

...remember that in a previous post you said: "I have ordered many Danish and Swedish dvds that DO CONTAIN ENGLISH subs"... now you mention a few English-subbed Danish titles of movies probably nobody outside Scandinavia has ever heard of - with the exception of "Pusher" (which is available on a UK DVD) - but the two OBVIOUS Danish movies I mentioned in my previous post ("Festen", a.k.a. Dogme #1 and "Idioterne", a.k.a. Dogme #2) and the one OBVIOUS Swedish movie - whose original title I cannot reproduce here, but whose PC English title is "Show Me Love" - DO NOT HAVE ENGLISH SUBS - not in Denmark, and nor, as I pointed out, in Norway, or Sweden, or Finland...

...as for your remark concerning English-language movies being shown on FILMNET - it may have escaped your notice that, although they do indeed show English-language movies, through the magic of TELETEXT they offer OPTIONAL SUBTITLES in a number of languages - and, contrary to your optimistic opinion, the VAST majority of people watching such movies on that channel do avail themselves of that option and use the subs in 'their' language...

...as for the French not including FRENCH subs or captions on many, if not most, of their DVDs - I have on at least one previous occasion mentioned this in another thread, adding that - as far as DVDs were concerned - I would hate to be a hearing-impaired Frenchman because of this lack of subs...

...as for there being more French movies released annually (which is true, of course) than Polish, Swedish, Spanish, British, etcetera ones - seen PROPORTIONALLY to the number of DVDs released the Iberians and Italians and British and, most emphatically, the Germans are every bit as remiss in providing English (or other language(s)) subs as are the French... you may not be aware of this, because possibly you are more interested in French, rather than, say, Spanish, or Italian, or German (or Polish) movies...

...you say: "it is funny you hold such a grudge against my view on their DVD industry." ...I just happen to think it is a totally uncalled for, utterly wrong-headed view... there is NO law that dictates the French should provide their DVDs with ENGLISH subs (or subs in any other language)... that doesn't make them anti-American (or anti-British, or anti-Irish), any more than the fact that they do not provide German, or Italian, or Spanish subs either, makes them anti-German, anti-Italian, or anti-Spanish... I think you should just be pleased with those instances where the French do provide English subs...

...you say: "Last but not least, the Scandinavian market does use English subs..." - well, I again refer to Lukas Modysson's "Show Me Love", and now the same Director's "Lilja 4-Ever" - ON SWEDISH DVD - NO ENGLISH SUBS! HA!...

. . . . . .