Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Xbox:best Steering Wheel?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox:best Steering Wheel?

Old 03-01-03, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xbox: Best Steering Wheel?

I am interested in buying a steering wheel for the XBOX.

Any comments or suggestions as to which one to buy would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by FILMCZY; 03-01-03 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-01-03, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So far I've only seen the Saitek, Cobra and madcatz one. out of the three, I think the madcatz one looks and feels the best.
Old 03-01-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DO NOT BUY ANY XBOX STEERING WHEELS. They all suck. The best one (or rather, the best of the worst) is the Madcatz wheel. But there is a known issue with that wheel where it will disconnect from the Xbox, and you'll have to physically unplug and replug the wheel. A few weeks ago one of my co-workers bought two of them (against my advice). And now he is returning them because they don't work right.

Wait for Logitech to (hopefully) release one of their wheels for XBox (they have good wheels out for the PS2 and GCN). Until then, just use your gamepad. I know it stinks to have to use a gamepad for driving games, but really - the current Xbox wheels all suck.

On another note - why doesn't Microsoft release a wheel of their own? They make decent controllers for the PC; I can't imagine how it'd be hard to port one of them over to the Xbox.
Old 03-02-03, 02:19 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
I have 3 wheels for my 2 xboxes. In fact, I just had a week of lots of 3 player Nascar Heat link play. The wheels are the 29.99 Cobra w/ pedals, the 24.99 Saitek w/ finger only pedals, and the 14.99 semi-wheel Gamester (it is that small circle controller where you move one side of it up and down to steer). All prices were from BB or CC after the $5 coupons, prices may vary elsewhere.

None are perfect, in fact, I thought about returning all 3 of them soon after buying them. But I like racing games, have friends over weekly to play them, and they are all SO much better than a control pad.

The semi-wheel may actually be my fav of the three. It takes a bit to get used to, but once you do it offers great control. The only problem, and it is a big one to me, is that it starts to hurt your hand(s) after a bit. If it was a bit larger, I think it may solve that problem, but I guess I'll never know.

The Saitek is my least favorite, but still much better than a control pad. I don't like the placement of the 'pedals', they seem a bit uncomfortable for my fingers to reach for some reason. But my friends don't mind it at all.

The Cobra is very nice, but again, one thing keeps it from being excellant in my mind. It's a bit awkward to hold it on your lap and have access to both foot pedals comfortably. But then, I'm used to setups that let you easily use both feet. On tracks where I never use the break, this contoller is my favorite. Maybe if I had it setup at a desk it would work better, but on my couch it is slightly uncomfortable to use properly.

Again, none are perfect, but they are all much better to use for racing games than the control pads. I'm very glad that I kept them all.
Old 03-10-03, 02:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
Does anyone else have any xbox steering wheels? I'd like to hear a review of the MadCatz one, and some more opinion on all of them in general.