Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted: Cinema Paradiso: the New Version

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Review wanted: Cinema Paradiso: the New Version. Anyone have any info on this? it came out last week I believe.
Old 02-28-03, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a review posted at DVDFILE:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...radiso_nv.html

The reviewer didn't seem too wild about the extended edition it to put it mildly. I have the disk myself but have yet to view it however, it is a film I love and I'm thankful to have the option to view either version. In my opinion, with the price being as affordable as it is you can hardly go wrong.
Old 02-28-03, 04:18 PM

I just watched the film for the first time. Never saw the hacked up original US release.

I would rank this in the top 3 films I have ever seen. It is an absolute masterpiece.

To get some idea of how good it is, go to http://www.imdb.com and look at the user comments for it. Usually you get about 75% good reviews for a flick. I read about 60 reviews and saw only 1 or 2 bad reviews. The majority of the rest are just RAVES.

I wouldn't recommend blind buying it because tho you will likely think it is an incredible film, it also has an element that might make you never want to see it again. I showed it to my roommate and the emotional reaction it brought out in him made him shun it.

For me, I was upset about the thing but am a little more forgiving and realize that sometimes things don't happen the way you want. This movie mirrors that.

I apologize for that really minor spoiler.

Great film!!!
Old 02-28-03, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mrbisco
I showed it to my roommate and the emotional reaction it brought out in him made him shun it.

For me, I was upset about the thing but am a little more forgiving and realize that sometimes things don't happen the way you want. This movie mirrors that.
Your roommate might like the original US theatrical cut then. Totally different movie. You might appreciate the US cut too, since it is more upbeat. Might as well watch it since it's on the same disc.
Old 02-28-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OP here...

I know the movie (or at least the original) is fantastic, I was just wondering about the quality of the dvd, i.e. the features, the audio, and the visuals. Are both versions on one side or do u flip? Any extras at all? Language options?
Old 03-01-03, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...the only review I could find...

. . . . . .
Old 03-01-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks everyone who directed me to links... since i dont have the original dvd but love the original film, ill buy the new dvd, if not for anything besides the original cut. Gonna watch that first, then the new edition.
Old 03-01-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Audiences can now make up their own minds with a DVD release that includes both versions of the film. The original cut was previously available in a non-anamorphic version from Image, an oversight that has been remedied with the new disc that features both films with anamorphic transfers, though only the director's cut gets a Dolby 5.1 mix.
from: http://www.boxoffice.com/scripts/fiw...=ID&terms=3718

ugh, that review is wrong. The original oop dvd was indeed anamorphic.