Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Ghost Recon (Xbox) Campaign Disk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-26-03, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing that bothers me is that it will be a stand-alone game which means that they will probably jack up the price. I will only buy it if it's in the $19.99-$29.99 price range.

http://www.ghostrecon.com/fullpost.php?id=3357

Xbox Campaign Disk is Coming!

The Ghosts are back and ready for more action as Ubi Soft announces the summer release of a stand-alone Xbox™ campaign disk for the award-winning Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon™. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon is the game that gave Xbox Live players the total battlefield experience and earned numerous awards for its stunning gameplay and features, including an Editor’s Choice award from Official Xbox Magazine.

This first-ever campaign disk for the Xbox video game system from Microsoft will not require players to have a retail copy of the original game to enjoy a new Ghost campaign.. Both new recruits and seasoned vets who earned their stripes playing the original Xbox game will enjoy the camaraderie of the shared battlefield. Xbox Live soldiers can experience the intensity of the front lines side-by-side with their battlefield brothers while covering each others’ backs and calling out commands using the Xbox Live communicator. Gamers who purchase the campaign disk will have future access to exclusive downloadable content featuring new missions and maps. Included in the campaign disk will be a dozen game types and twelve multiplayer maps for Xbox Live play, including four maps from the original Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon.

“The Clancy brand owes its incredible popularity to gamers who want an intense and realistic gameplay experience,” said Tony Kee, Ubi Soft’s vice president of marketing. “With this new campaign disk, Ubi Soft Entertainment can give back to Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon fans, providing them with more of their favorite Ghost action without the price tag of a whole new game.”

“Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon is one of our most popular games on Xbox Live and has everyone going wild!” said Andre Vrignaud, director of technical strategy, Xbox Live. “With Xbox Live, gamers can download exciting fresh content like new missions and maps, injecting new energy into gameplay, and keeping games like this fresh and engaging.”

About the Game
Developed by Red Storm Entertainment™, the Ubi Soft studio credited with originally developing the award-winning Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon™ and Rainbow Six™ franchises, the campaign disk will feature the Cuban campaign from Ghost Recon: Island Thunder™ (PC) and popular maps from Ghost Recon: Desert Siege™ (PC). As an added bonus, four additional maps from the original Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon (Xbox) allow new recruits to experience the battlefields of Eastern Europe exclusively on XBOX Live.

Game features include:
Xbox Live compatible
Downloadable content
8 mission single-player campaign set in Cuba
8 multiplayer maps ranging from desert to city to jungle
4 fan-favorite maps from the original Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon (Xbox) for additional Live play
New types of multiplayer gameplay
Old 02-26-03, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are the single player missions the same as one of the PC expansion packs?

This is a no-brainer purchase for me. I've played GR more than almost any other Xbox game.
Old 02-26-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't wait!

I finish GR the same day I bought it
Old 02-26-03, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm looking forward to this as well, but I hope the campaign disc addresses the following concerns:

1. Updates the graphics in the new levels to be XBox-friendly, not three-year-old PC friendly.

2. Patches the original GR multiplayer to fix the screaming lockup problem in XBL play.

3. Opens all the unlockables on GR... that would be nice!

And yes, I don't think I would pay $50 for an update - I mean, the PC campaign disc was only like $29.99 or so when it came out. The only thing that would prevent a low price-point is the fact that it is standalone...although it seems like half a game to me.

What would work is to make GR a platinum title, and package GR and GR+ together for $50, with GR bug fixes slip-streamed into the release. And give current GR owners a $20 upgrade rebate.

Jeremy
Old 02-27-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From XBOX.IGN:

While it's described as a campaign disk, this next Ghost Recon episode will be a standalone product and will not require gamers to have a copy of the original Ghost Recon for Xbox. The game will be compatible with Xbox Live's online gameplay and will feature downloadable content once it arrives in the fall of 2003. The new gameplay types could prove to be the most intriguing enhancement for the Ghost Recon franchise since Ubi Soft is promising at least 12 different game modes for the campaign disk as compared to the handful currently available for Ghost Recon. While a price for Island Thunder hasn't been announced, Ubi Soft suggests that gamers in North America won't have to drop a full $50 for the semi-new title.
Click the link, you can also vote for the four remaining maps to be included on the campaign disc.

Jeremy
Old 02-27-03, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

awsome, can't wait to get this.
Old 02-27-03, 12:43 PM

I'm most looking forward to the new gameplay modes. I'm hoping for some CTF or other goal-oriented gameplay modes. Anyone know what the new modes will be?
Old 02-27-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

what? on elite?
Old 02-27-03, 10:34 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Excellent news!!!
Old 02-27-03, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by kar10
I can't wait!

You can't finish it - it's a multiplayer game.