Search this Thread

Old 02-25-03, 10:08 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Buffy spinoff news

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=14563
I just found this over at AICN.

It says Eliza has signed on for a pilot for FOX which means most likely no spinoff show with Faith

Let the Dawn the Vampire Slayer rumors begin again
Old 02-25-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO Dawn has been so removed from the storyline in recent weeks there is now way that she would be continuing as slayer.
Old 02-25-03, 12:21 PM
Suspended

Just because Eliza is doing a pilot for FOX doesn't mean she can't star in a Buffy spin-off. It all depends on the contract. For instance, there's some actor on a current WB show who's doing a pilot, but won't be able to do the series if his WB one is renewed.

This is not to say there's any such clause in Eliza's contract for the pilot, but her agent may have had the savvy to negotiate an out if the pilot is picked up but she's offered a starring role in a Buffy spin-off.
Old 02-25-03, 01:05 PM
Banned

I wont watch any spinoff.
If SMG leaves. End the show.

We dont need another X-files situation.
Old 02-25-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
doesn't anyone classify Angel as a spinoff? What is wrong with doing a spinoff then taking the show in a whole new direction? Angel did it. I never thought the X-Files turned into a spinoff. Same show just diff. actor.
Old 02-25-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by ChrisHicks
I never thought the X-Files turned into a spinoff. Same show just diff. actor.
And suckier storylines.

While it does not bode well for Faith, it means I might get to see my beloved Eliza each week after her run on Buffy!
Old 02-25-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by cooper2000
I wont watch any spinoff.
If SMG leaves. End the show.

We dont need another X-files situation.
I'm looking forward to the end of Buffy just to see the daily/weekly posts comparing its possible continuation to the X-Files also end.

Young people are going to think the show was named The X-Files Situation.
Old 02-25-03, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is disheartening news. I think there was a good chance UPN or WB would green light a spin off with Eliza headlining. I'm not so sure if the idea is Dawn or Kennedy as the Slayer.
Old 02-25-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

wasn't there an idea floating around for a BVS spinoff for Jiles and his adventures in London?
Old 02-25-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tofu
wasn't there an idea floating around for a BVS spinoff for Jiles and his adventures in London?
Yes, and it is still a go once Whedon has time. However, it will only air on the BBC is my understanding.
Old 02-25-03, 06:16 PM
Banned

By comparing it to X-files, I mean milking the franchise when it should have ended while on top and I am really affraid they are going to do that with Buffy.

Remember Aftermash?

Hell, Buffy is even showing its age so why drag it on?
As the old saying goes, leave um wanting more.

This happens all too often in TV these days. You get a show like X-files or Seinfeld or even shows like Melrose Place and 90210. The network doesnt have any original ideas or new shows to put on (hello UPN and FOX) so they just keep throwing money to continue the old ones and the show suffers.Casts change, writers change and the show is but a memory of its old self.
This is what probably will happen if they go on another year and change the whole premise of the show or what the show once was.
So I find it interesting that people want the show to go on in another form.
Why not end it and remember the show as a good memory.
Old 02-25-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the best way to have handled a Faith series would be to not make a weekly series, but maybe several two-part mini series that would only be shown during sweeps periods. The show could basically just follow Faith throughout the country and the random adventures she has. Kind of like the Hulk movies they made after it went off the air.
Old 02-25-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Tom Campbell
Just because Eliza is doing a pilot for FOX doesn't mean she can't star in a Buffy spin-off. It all depends on the contract. For instance, there's some actor on a current WB show who's doing a pilot, but won't be able to do the series if his WB one is renewed.

This is not to say there's any such clause in Eliza's contract for the pilot, but her agent may have had the savvy to negotiate an out if the pilot is picked up but she's offered a starring role in a Buffy spin-off.
That's some really wishful thinking. Using this logic why would Fox invest in a pilot when its lead might get yanked if her WB (or UPN) show get's a green light? A pilot is a fairly expensive beast, and I can't believe that this is plausible.
Old 02-25-03, 08:25 PM

Our local sci-fi channel was reporting that anything involving Trachtenberg is unlikely as she just signed a movie deal. Obviously its not insurmountable as Buffy kept right on going after signing on for schooby, but it does lessen the chances.

I'd like a Spike spin-off myself, tho i assume they'd like to have a female lead.

And while i generally don't like spin-offs, the quality of Angel has me hoping that they could do another quality spin-off, provided they just don't try to continue the current series in a slightly repackaged form. Which means that any series featuring one of the slayer juniors or Dawn would suck bad.
Old 02-26-03, 01:25 AM
Banned

Its official....

EMAIL THIS STORY Gellar Will Exit 'Buffy' in May
Tue, Feb 25, 2003 05:39 PM PDT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Concluding months of Internet speculation, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" star Sarah Michelle Gellar will indeed be hanging up her wooden stakes come May at the conclusion of the show's seventh season.

While Gellar has given Entertainment Weekly an exclusive regarding her departure for its March 7 issue, sources close to the UPN series confirm to Zap2it.com that the actress will not be part of the cast should "Buffy" return in the fall.

Much about the fate of the show remains up in the air. Core cast members Alyson Hannigan and Nicholas Brendon have both said they believe it's the final year for the show, but no official word has come down from "Buffy" creator Joss Whedon, UPN or producer 20th Century Fox.

Rumors of a possible spin-off still run rampant, although the most likely candidate -- based on the character of Buffy's fellow slayer Faith -- now seems iffy at best since actress Eliza Dushku (who plays the recurring role on both "Buffy" and "Angel") has signed on for a drama pilot with FOX.
Old 02-26-03, 03:03 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

I don't get why she's signing on with FOX. Other then ABC, who's in a league by themselves, no one is as bad as creating new dramas as FOX. I can't figure out why she's passing up a sure thing like the spinoff for a show FOX will probably put on Friday night and will get cancelled after a month.
Old 02-26-03, 03:42 AM

Originally posted by Mourn
Which means that any series featuring one of the slayer juniors or Dawn would suck bad.
That would beyond suck.

The only thing worse than Dawn the Vampire Slayer (and until I read that, I didn't really think there could be anythign worse) would be Kennedy the Vampire Slayer. A show with Kennedy talking the whole time . Ack.

Last edited by Jlbkwrm; 02-26-03 at 03:45 AM.
Old 02-26-03, 10:16 AM

I like Faith, would enjoy a spin off, but I think the new show she's signed on with Fox for, sounds interesting, on her part, she's one like a season of faith, with season three of Buffy, one episode of Angel season one, 2 or 3 for Angel season 4, and 4 or 5 of Buffy season seven, more character time then most actors get for their character in films, so Faith is always there to look up. I think it has to be a very interesting idea for her to sign up with that Fox show, I heard some good things about it.

Fox have lured Rob Cohen(Fast and The Furious/XXX) to be apart of that new untitled show, they are investing, it could be what Alias did for Jennifer Garner.

I really enjoy Angel, and it's a spin off thats done well. If it was a Faith spinoff, it would seem to go to the adult Angel side of things more, to create another spin off, Joss is clever, it would be cool, yet for Dushku, it would still be hampering on with the same character, I think she's got more potential acting wise then what Faith can offer, and she's done alot of Faith, so I can see fox show being very interesting. And if its not? Then Fox will likely cancel it very soon, and Faith show can happen later maybe, maybe they will give it a break, why go the star trek root, and not give fans a breather, and hungry for more? Never know.

Last edited by SeanValen; 02-26-03 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-26-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Uh...Sean, no offense, but that post doesn't seem too fluid with its pacing. I really couldn't understand what you were trying to say.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 02-26-03 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-26-03, 12:28 PM
Banned

No opinions about SMG leaving?
I am shocked.
As far as the FOX show. I cant believe that anything with Rob Cohen behind it could be good. He did Fast and the Furious, XXX and that horrible Fraternity movie with Joshua Jackson.
It would have to be pretty good to watch it.
Old 02-26-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by tofu
Yes - "Ripper"... it is in limbo right now it seems.

Originally posted by MrX
I don't get why she's signing on with FOX. Other then ABC, who's in a league by themselves, no one is as bad as creating new dramas as FOX. I can't figure out why she's passing up a sure thing like the spinoff for a show FOX will probably put on Friday night and will get cancelled after a month.
I don't get why you're assuming it is a FOX network show? Buffy itself is a FOX Studio production as was/is Angel, X-Files and Firefly even though only two of those were actually broadcast ON Fox.
Old 02-26-03, 03:11 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by rfduncan
I don't get why you're assuming it is a FOX network show? Buffy itself is a FOX Studio production as was/is Angel, X-Files and Firefly even though only two of those were actually broadcast ON Fox.
Where else is it going to go?

By the description of it, I don't see NBC or CBS being interested. ABC would screw it up. The WB is becoming almost completly family oriented drama except for Angel, which they seem like they can't wait to get rid of. The only other option is UPN which is an absolute mess right now.
Old 02-26-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MrX
Where else is it going to go?

By the description of it, I don't see NBC or CBS being interested. ABC would screw it up. The WB is becoming almost completly family oriented drama except for Angel, which they seem like they can't wait to get rid of. The only other option is UPN which is an absolute mess right now.

So Angel might get yanked just because the suits don't like its material, regardless if it does well in ratings? (I heard it is doing quite well in that regard, at least enough not to cancel).
Old 02-26-03, 05:14 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
So Angel might get yanked just because the suits don't like its material, regardless if it does well in ratings? (I heard it is doing quite well in that regard, at least enough not to cancel).
It's doubtful it will get cancelled this year, but considering how the show had been treated, the changing timeslots when it was doing well on Sunday and the sometimes weeks between new eps, it's not one of the suits at the WB's favorites.
Old 02-26-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MrX
It's doubtful it will get cancelled this year, but considering how the show had been treated, the changing timeslots when it was doing well on Sunday and the sometimes weeks between new eps, it's not one of the suits at the WB's favorites.

I was wondering why they were treating it that way. Didn't know a network would want to torpedoe one of its own shows.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.