Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Did anyone buy the PC splinter cell?

Old 02-23-03, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did anyone buy the PC splinter cell?

Impressions?

Was it like Ghost Recon (better on PC)?

Last edited by RoQuEr; 02-24-03 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-23-03, 10:36 PM
Mod Emeritus

I have it on Xbox and it's totally different than GR. Think Metal Gear Solid 2 but better.
Old 02-24-03, 03:50 AM

much, MUCH better
Old 02-24-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
I have it on Xbox and it's totally different than GR. Think Metal Gear Solid 2 but better.

What do you mean? I meant to say that the PC version of GR was far better than the Xbox. Why do they limit you to 2 teams? Do they think xbox players are too dumb to use 3 groups?
Old 02-24-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ghost recon is team based
Old 02-24-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by RoQuEr
What do you mean? I meant to say that the PC version of GR was far better than the Xbox. Why do they limit you to 2 teams? Do they think xbox players are too dumb to use 3 groups?
I knew what you meant - the PC version of Splinter Cell is the same as the Xbox version except that the graphics look better in higher resolution on the PC. Ghost Recon on the Xbox is a totally different experience than on the PC - the voice communicator makes it more immersive and fun (IMO). The PC version has way better graphics and such... Unreal Tournament 2 and Unreal Championship are also vastly different from each other.
Old 02-24-03, 02:33 PM
Mod Emeritus

I don't play GR offline, sorry, I don't know about these three groups thing. All I know is I have a blast playing it online with the voice comm, meet some cool people on there.

I would say SC is better on the XBOX because of the controller, playing it on a TV in 480p (if you have that), and with the 5.1 (if you have that).

Do a search, I'm positive Static Cling created a thread very similar to this.
Old 02-24-03, 07:37 PM

picked up the pc version of splinter a couple days ago, and so far its a great game...very pretty fun game....though a major system hog....with all settings at max, AA and a filtering the game brought my system to its knees. (p4 2.8, 9700 pro, 512ddr)..though it runs fine without aa and a filtering. How it compares to the box i dont' know, haven't played the box version.
Old 02-24-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Contrary to what Cuman says, I have an Athlon XP 1700+ and a Geforce 3 Ti500 and can play without a hitch at 1024x768. Then again, this isn't a high-speed game at all so 30fps is just as good as 60.

But I just can't bring myself to play it ... the 'urgency' of the situation doesn't inspire me to keep playing. I can look at it and tell that it is a fantastic game, but I just can't bring myself to play for more than a few minutes.

I woudn't hesitate to recommend taking a look at it, but you may want to pick a place with a liberal return policy just in case the pacing isn't for you.
Old 02-24-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if you happen to have an X-Box, get it for that.
Old 02-24-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The xbox version is the way to go. The controls are much easier with a gamepad vs. a mouse and keyboard. Graphics do look just as good on the pc though maybe better. Down the PC demo 2 and judge for your self.
Old 02-25-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just bought it and I have not been able to get it to work on my PC yet, (P4 2.0, GeForce 3, 512RAM)... any hints? I have tried Ubi's site, but no help yet. This is 5th hour trying now...
Old 02-26-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVD Smurf
I just bought it and I have not been able to get it to work on my PC yet, (P4 2.0, GeForce 3, 512RAM)... any hints? I have tried Ubi's site, but no help yet. This is 5th hour trying now...
It's situations like the ones that you speak of that make me that much more thankful for my XBox. My computer is by FAR ancient by any normal standards and would simply fall off of my desk laughing at me if I tried to run SC on it. With the XBox, I don't have to worry about my POS PC not meeting the system requirements.