Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Out of the Dark DVD Question

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this a bootleg?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...313453502&rd=1

they did inform me that it's in Chinese or Mandarin. Also, they did send me a picture of the box.

Last edited by princessducky; 02-22-03 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-22-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
yes it is a bootleg.
Old 02-22-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
The only legit release I've found of this is the Malaysian VCD from www.sensasian.com . It's a Pan N Scan transfer, with the English subs sometimes going off the edge of the screen. Still, it's good enough if you want to see the film

The VCD of All for the Winner from that site is much better, letterboxed and very good image for a VCD.
Old 02-23-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jay G.
The only legit release I've found of this is the Malaysian VCD from www.sensasian.com . It's a Pan N Scan transfer, with the English subs sometimes going off the edge of the screen. Still, it's good enough if you want to see the film

The VCD of All for the Winner from that site is much better, letterboxed and very good image for a VCD.
Yup - I have both of those. I agree. Both are worth picking up too - great flicks.
Old 02-23-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this the only place to order these 2 vcds from. Kinda expensive for 2 vcds. I might just go ahead and get these 2 then.
Old 02-23-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, that site is the only place I've seen those 2 VCDs, since they are Malaysian releases, and sensasian is the only site I know that carries Malay VCDs.

It is a bit much for VCDs, but the films are worth it if you've never seen them before.
Old 02-24-03, 12:41 AM

Out of the butt

Out of the Dark is/was available on vcd from Mei Ah. Letterboxed with english/chinese subtitles. May be out of print by now? Was extremely common in the local import market. On dvd, it has been released in Taiwan, Mandarin with English/chinese subtitles. Also there is the original LD release, of which I am a proud owner.
Old 02-24-03, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the Mei-Ah VCD is out of print and not available on any online retailers. I hadn't heard of the Taiwan DVD before, but it's still less than ideal since it only has a dub and not the original sync sound. Part of what makes Chow's films so great is his vocal delivery of his lines.