DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Deer Hunter Discussion

Amadeus
02-22-03, 03:23 PM
I'm too tired to write an essay on this one so i'll just say this.Great film with wonderful performances and very well written.Though it drags in some parts, it's still very entertaining and enjoying. :up: Your thoughts. :)

LBPound
02-22-03, 04:42 PM
I'd teeter the line between "very good" and "masterpiece", but I voted "masterpiece." I think it's a very interesting work, and with some flawless, powerful sequences. On the whole, it is long and does drag a bit, but I think the positives far outweigh the negatives here, and the direction and performances are among the best that the '70s offered.

Amadeus
02-22-03, 04:44 PM
By the way i voted Very Good.In case anybody cares...Which i know you don't. :)

conscience
02-22-03, 04:57 PM
I voted Very Good Film, but No Masterpiece.

It is considered a masterpiece by many people and I completely agree that it is up there, but you did ask what I thought about it.

For a film to be considered a masterpiece by me, it would have to have me sit through the entire film without missing a beat.

I find it to be excellent, but I cannot sit through the entire film without a break. Some of the scenes are oh so long and drawn out, but are breathtaking when compared to many other films.

All in all, a very good film.

Norm de Plume
02-22-03, 05:40 PM
Not quite a masterpiece, but awfully close.

thecrazydude
02-22-03, 11:23 PM
Good Film, not a masterpiece in my opinion. Bobby D was great in it though!

Ketamine
02-23-03, 12:10 AM
Not quite complete crap but that is what I ended up giving it b/c I didn't think it was a very good film. This 3 hour movie could have easily been cut down to less than 2 hours. The way it is now is so damn slow and drawn out that it is tough to watch (example: did we have to sit through the entire wedding dance song for song?). Maybe give it another chance down the road (cheap blind buy) but right now I wouldn't even think of sitting through it again.

Ginwen
02-23-03, 12:48 AM
Very Good Film, but not a masterpiece

But...pretty close.

Thingamajig
02-23-03, 04:30 AM
This movie is great and has a great cast. They all are very solid performances, but Christopher Walken steals the show. Russian Roulette, wow that scene with Walken is heavy. The look on his face is haunting.

Bcolon
02-23-03, 08:15 AM
I watched this movie for the first time a few weeks back and was bored silly for parts of it. The whole wedding scenes were pretty much pointless. I understand what the director was trying to show us with those scenes, but, my god, if I remember correctly they were over an hour long! Trim it down to about 20 minutes and you will have a much better movie.

Bcolon
02-23-03, 08:16 AM
By the way, I voted for very good since it is not garbadge or a masterpiece. I would have gone with "ok" if it had been in the poll.

Amadeus
02-23-03, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Bcolon
I would have gone with "ok" if it had been in the poll.
Sorrry about that. :(

Get Me Coffee
02-23-03, 11:58 AM
Wow, Cling didnít close this one? That's a surprise with Clings habits of closing threads. I saw nothing wrong with the other threads you had.

Well Deer Hunter is good, but not a masterpiece. The ending is a fantastic metaphor of life.

Amadeus
02-23-03, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by White Knight
Wow, Cling didnít close this one? That's a surprise with Clings habits of closing threads. I saw nothing wrong with the other threads you had.

Well Deer Hunter is good, but not a masterpiece. The ending is a fantastic metaphor of life.
Cling knows better than to mess with me.No way he's gonna close this one.Just let him try.

As for the ending, i really didn't like it.I felt it should have been the other way around.You know what i mean when i say the other way around.

McHawkson
02-23-03, 12:46 PM

I think the reason why he closed those thread because Amadeus started too many threads in one day. We have a limit on that.

Amadeus
02-23-03, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by McHawkson
I think the reason why he closed those thread because Amadeus started too many threads in one day. We have a limit on that.
For real? :confused:

Get Me Coffee
02-23-03, 12:51 PM
So Amadeus, open two or three a day...;)

Amadeus
02-23-03, 12:54 PM
So Amadeus, open two or three a day...;)
Allright.Two or three thousand. ;)

McHawkson
02-23-03, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Amadeus
For real? :confused:

Yeah... I have seem them closed several thread because of this.

Get Me Coffee
02-23-03, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Amadeus

As for the ending, i really didn't like it.I felt it should have been the other way around.You know what i mean when i say the other way around.

Really? I liked how they showed the hunted vs. hunting and that the deer didn't have any defence, or couldn't attack back. So he didn't shoot it. What was going on in his head was conflict of man vs. himself and Man vs. Man

But it's been awhile since I saw the movie...maybe I should re watch it.