Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Who watches Daytime Soap Operas?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which soaps do you watch in daytime?
ALL MY CHILDREN - ABC
17.24%
AS THE WORLD TURNS - CBS
10.34%
BOLD AND BEAUTIFUL - CBS
13.79%
DAYS OF OUR LIVES - NBC
24.14%
GENERAL HOSPITAL - ABC
34.48%
GUIDING LIGHT - CBS
3.45%
ONE LIFE TO LIVE - ABC
10.34%
PASSIONS - NBC
24.14%
PORT CHARLES - ABC
6.90%
THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS - CBS
20.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to watch Sunset Beach & Another World. I still watch Y&R and B&B.
Just wondering who else watches them?
Old 02-19-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At one point in my life, I was watching All my Children for 2 months. I think that was when Sarah Michelle Gellar was in it.
Old 02-19-03, 10:00 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
When I was in school I used to watch Sunset Beach in between classes. Their were some very hot women on that show. Susan Ward, Lisa Guerrero, and the girl that played Maria were all very hot.
Old 02-19-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have been watching General Hospital since 1999. As a kid my grandmother took care of me during the day and she watched Y&R, Bold and the Beautiful, As the World Turns and Guiding Light faithfully. But as weird as this sounds compared to those other soaps that my grandmother watched, General Hospital actually has some decent storylines. And they also have some hot women on there.
Old 02-20-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by WWE Jedi
I have been watching General Hospital since 1999. As a kid my grandmother took care of me during the day and she watched Y&R, Bold and the Beautiful, As the World Turns and Guiding Light faithfully. But as weird as this sounds compared to those other soaps that my grandmother watched, General Hospital actually has some decent storylines. And they also have some hot women on there.
Don't even get me started on this show...

Lemme give you a lil more backstory than you probably wanna know. My story is similar to WWE Jedi's. Back in the day [BEFORE VCRs], I was a big fan of Tom & Jerry which I would watch in the morning before leaving for school [7a] and it would be on after I got out too [3p]. Unfortunately, my mother was a GH fan. Which just happened to be on when...?

At 3p.

We'd get into MANY fights over this. Until, eventually, I started watching GH too.

Over the years i'd tune in and out. When I moved into my first apartment is when I started watching daily.

And Tom & Jerry is no longer on broadcast television here...

Having said all this, I catch GH sporadically now. Sometimes i'll just leave it on in the background and do things on the computer, around the house, etc.. The same with One Life To Live. I used to watch All My Children when Sarah Michelle Gellar was on. [Which is where my severe disgust of her began...] But, it's always been GH.

Unfortunately, now that might not be the case. Some of the daytime writers/execs rival Bonnie Hammer as far as ridiculous decisions go...From '93 to about '99 it used to be entertaining. Not to mention, like WWE Jedi pointed out, they have/had some hot women on there. [Vanessa Marcil comes to mind. ]

Unfortunately, the plots and the writing has gone EXTREMELY downhill. [EVEN for a SOAP.] So I might be down to just one soap pretty soon...
Old 02-20-03, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was hooked on All My Children when I was in JC thanks to my friend's girlfriend. Once my schedule changed and I started to work more I just stopped watching the show. I do kinda miss it though.
Old 02-20-03, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used to watch General Hospital but now I have to work at that time
Old 02-20-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My parents watch Y&R and until I left for college, I would watch it since I had nothing better to do. I always find it funny when I hear girls talking about Y&R and I know the characters due to seeing it for most of my life.

It's not something I have on my Tivo though. My parents do love having their Tivo for Y&R though. It makes things much easier than using the VCR to record the show.
Old 02-20-03, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Which soaps have the hottest ladies on it?

I confess to watching Y&R back in college. I'm always surprised at how long they can drag out storylines.
Old 02-20-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I used to watch Guiding Light in college in the early 90s. I also would occasionally watch Bold & the Beautiful since there were so many hotties in it, particularly Hunter Tylo.
Old 02-20-03, 10:24 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I don't think I've ever watched a full episode of any soap. I'll have to give it a try sometime...
Old 02-20-03, 03:43 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guys watchs soap opera?

I though only women watch it.
Old 02-20-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All My Children has been a big part of my TV viewing life. I started watching in my pre-teen years, stopped for a few years when I was in college and starting up again after I graduated. It's a very good soap that is often underrated. You really become familiar with the characters through the year especially Erica Kane.
Old 02-20-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SuperJim88
Guys watchs soap opera?

I though only women watch it.
Why not? NFL players watch soaps. If you think about it, many shows on primetime are similar to soap operas with the long storylines.
Old 02-20-03, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Patman
Which soaps have the hottest ladies on it?
There's a boatload of fine women on All My Children. Terri Ivens, Amelia Heinle, Alicia Minshew, Rebecca Budig, Eden Riegel...plus several more.

I can also recommend Rebecca Herbst, Tamara Braun and Robin Christopher, from General Hospital.

All very worthy
Old 02-20-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I do.

or atleast I have to when I visit my grandmother.
Old 02-20-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
anyone cetch the new guy playing lucky on GH?

he looks way too old for the part and looks like he is wearing a wig.
Old 02-20-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by whotony the new guy playing lucky on GH?
Greg Vaughan dob 6-15-73 ... Lucky #3 (2003-)
Jacob Young (II) dob 9-10-79 ... Lucky #2 (2000-2003)
Jonathan Jackson dob 5-11-82 ... Lucky #1 (1993-1999)

I think they just wanted someone older to play love interest for Summer
Old 02-20-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by big whoppa
All My Children has been a big part of my TV viewing life...You really become familiar with the characters through the year especially Erica Kane.
Ugh. I never understood the fascination with Erica Kane/Susan Lucci. She used to make me wanna
Originally posted by Buck Turgidson
There's a boatload of fine women on All My Children. Terri Ivens, Amelia Heinle, Alicia Minshew, Rebecca Budig, Eden Riegel...plus several more.

I can also recommend Rebecca Herbst, Tamara Braun and Robin Christopher, from General Hospital. All very worthy
Terri's cute. It's her husky voice that seals the deal for me. Amelia & Alicia both look like anorexic skanks. Hate 'em. Rebecca used to have the finest backside on daytime TV. Don't know what's happened to it lately...Eden's cute in a sort of Alvin, Simon & Theodore way...so was her ex-girlfriend who now plays her friend. And I can't figure out why you left out Eva La Rue. I didn't see that whole "Let's set up a stupid little adventure so we can shoot on location" story that was on last week. Though, seeing her in a skimpy white bikini top was tempting. I'm still trying to figure out if it's the babies or silicone...

As far as GH...i'd have to disagree with all your choices -- though, I saw Robin on something OTHER than GH and she didn't look quite as pale as the show makes her look... GH used to have some cute chicks...but Vanessa's [Brenda] leaving again, Marissa's [OLD Gia] long gone [Though she was annoying when she was on...but those LIPS...]. And that's about it. Although, there's something about that chick that plays Summer that's mesmerizing...
Originally posted by whotony
anyone cetch the new guy playing lucky on GH?he looks way too old for the part and looks like he is wearing a wig.
I saw a pic in a magazine from the soap he was on before he took over Lucky. He was totally "Latin'd" out. Dark hair. Unshaven face. Guess they wanted him to look similar to the guy who used to play Lucky...so they could fool the audience.
Old 02-20-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah.

DEFINITELY mesmerizing...

Old 02-20-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588
And I can't figure out why you left out Eva La Rue.
Because I'm a bonehead. I watched that show for a while in '97 or so when she and Sydney Penny were both on. Both left, and so did I.

I've liked Eva since she was on Santa Barbara in the late 80's.

I knew I'd forget someone important.

(I misspelled bonehead, which I think qualifies as a tautology...)

Last edited by Buck Turgidson; 02-21-03 at 01:57 AM.
Old 02-21-03, 12:05 AM
Banned

I watch Days of our lives when I am home but have kept up with it for about 20 years.
Bo and Hope!!
Old 02-21-03, 02:41 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by cooper2000
I watch Days of our lives when I am home but have kept up with it for about 20 years.
Bo and Hope!!
My sister watches that and so I see it everyonce in a while when I go home. It seems to me the storys are probably still the same from 20 years ago. I thought it was hilarious how Belle went from a little kid to college bound in the matter of a year it seemed.
Old 02-21-03, 06:32 PM
Banned

All the kids get that rapid aging thing so they can have a storyline.
Stories dont change all that much over the years.
I think Days was at an All time high in the 80s.
Old 02-21-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by cooper2000
All the kids get that rapid aging thing so they can have a storyline.
It's not about getting a storyline. It's about attracting the oh-so-important YOUTH demo. It's funny. Recently on All My Children they SORAS'd* a bunch of kids and gave 'em a story in favor of the old, seasoned actors. Tons of fans are up in arms about that. Granted, David Canary [Adam/Stuart] & Michael E. Knight [Tad] are great in their roles..but if you don't have good storytellers, it really doesn't matter. Then, said sh*tty storytellers blame it on the "age difference".

Now that One Live To Live hired has hired internally they're getting back some of the footing that was lost from the previous writers.

GH, as i've mentioned before, is becoming a lost cause. After spitting on Luke & Laura's history recently, they writers have a case of Sopranos-itis [and at the expense of their seasoned actors]. Don't get me wrong...I like Maurice Bernard [Sonny], but they need to give him a week or two off & everyone else around him needs to go. [Yes, including Tamart Braun [Carly]] The return of Vanessa Marci [Brenda] gave the show a much needed boost, so it'll be interesting to see what happens now that she's gone...[Yet AGAIN...]

[*Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.