TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Enterprise 02/19/2003

Old 02-19-03, 07:53 AM
razorbackfan

Enterprise 02/19/2003

Title: Future Tense
Production Number: 142
Airdate: 2/19/03
Written By: Rick Berman and Brannon Braga (story); Mike Sussman and Phyllis Strong (teleplay)
Directed By: James Whitemore, Jr.

Guest Cast:

Vaughn Armstrong as Admiral Forrest
Cullen Douglas as Suliban Officer
Mike Cassidy as Stunt Suliban
Tim Storms as Stunt Suliban

Renamed "Future Tense" from "Crash Landing," likely in light of the February 1st, 2003 Space Shuttle Columbia disaster.

ENTERPRISE's upcoming "Crash Landing" will involve not only the Suliban, but the first meeting with the Tholians since TOS's "The Tholian Web."

Spoiler:
When Archer and the NX-01 crew capture a futuristic space ship with a dead human pilot, the Suliban and the Tholians show up to lay claim to the vessel. According to the production report from the episode, the Tholians are as xenophobic in "Landing" as they were in the original series episode. The episode will feature digitally-created Tholian vessels and Suliban cell ships.
Old 02-19-03, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
More Suliban?
Old 02-19-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reviews coming in from Canada (who can pick it up early on Tuesday) have all been immensely positive, even from those who have not liked much of the series.

Grade: A-

One word review: Woo-hoo!

Christ on a bike that was fun. I mean, exciting, exhilerating, I wanna go on that rollercoaster again, kind of fun. For me, better than any of the embarrassing TNG movies, this thing sang!

Yeah Mamma! I just watched Star Trek!. I mean STAR TREK! The stuff I used to watch when I was a kid! This was fine, and shiny and I want MORE!

First surprise, a fantastic score - AND it's by my most hated composer Dennis MaCarthy. This score blew my socks off.

then there are the performances from EVERYONE and they were great. Even Mayweather was exactly how he should and could be. He only misdelivered one hammy line in the whole thing. Archer was great. This was a CREW.

Camera work was great in places too. The camera actually moved during static conversations. There was fluidity, pace. It was directed with flair and life.

Enterprise felt vital. There was a pulse. Doctor, do you think the patient might just make it?

I would not be surprised if TPTB have been reading this BBS very carefully and taking notes. Many of the issues us 'bashers' have been bitching about were addressed in this episode. Now if they can consistently address them it would be a thing to behold.

So why the A -? Well the final scene is flat and not really needed. And after a rare sighting of a great and proper teaser, everything is destroyed that godawful dirge of a theme tune. I usually skip that bit but today it grated more than usual.

The Tholians were EXCELLENT. The design of the ships and the communications were great. The SFX were great. But the sound of the ships - a new sound for Trek ships, almost Star Warsian.
Old 02-19-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's another one: Watch out for
SPOILERS!!

Future Tense makes it 3 or 3 -- and for once the ads were accurate. I actually WAS on the edge of my seat, which surprised me.

The episode was totally berift of a b-plot, which was a refreshing change. There are lots of canon references -- ranging from the first acknowledgement that Zephram Cochrane disappeared (though I believe the exact circumstances of his disappearance were not mentioned in Metamorphosis.). The introduction of the Tholians was well handled (their voices are eerie).

I particularly enjoyed the nod to Doctor Who in this episode, wherein the time ship is revealed to be, for all intents and purposes, a TARDIS.

And while those shippers out there who are against the idea of T'Pol and Archer getting together might squirm, we do get to see a return of some of the themes explored in ANIS ... however this time they are handled with restraint. There is a particular slip of the tongue from T'Pol that I think will be referred to at a later date.

The episode also features one of the best closing scenes the series has seen in many a moon.

Future Tense is the best TCW episode yet, asking more questions than it answers.
Old 02-19-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

geocities.com/admiral4stun/tholian.JPG

Here's a pic of the newly designed Tholian ship.
Copy and paste it.

Matt
Old 02-19-03, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
crash landing doesn't make sense as a title for this, but future tense does so I'm glad they used future tense
Old 02-19-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Great episode! Hope it wasn't a fluke.

Loved the little Star Wars homage too!
Old 02-19-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Christ on a pogo stick, just what the hell have the Canadians been smoking??

Rollercoaster? I didn’t see no rollercoaster. After 40 minutes of tedium, they throw in a coupla minutes of Archer on his period just before the commercial break. And then, something REAL original – a time loop. Wow! I haven’t seen that since, well, they just showed an SG-1 episode with a time loop a coupla days ago. And then there's the TNG episode. Didn't "Voyager" do one? Maybe this was an homage to all the time loop stories of the past.

The Tholians were EXCELLENT [sic]. They must have shown them while I was nodding off during the first half. But it seemed to me that Stephen Hawking was more animated than usual.

The camera actually moved during static conversations. WOW! Now there’s a new concept. I guess they didn’t get "NYPD Blue" up there?

Fantastic score? I’ve created better scores in the bathroom. Booming fortissimos with no apparent direction do not a score make. The music was almost as confused as the sorry excuse for a plot. I found more references to "Hercules" than to Star Wars.

Doctor, do you think the patient might just make it? That fetid smell is not the result of my latest composition, fanboy.

One man’s nod to Doctor Who just might be another’s idea of a stolen concept. There are some fools out there who believe that Americans haven’t a clue about that, much less the ability to spell TARDIS. Considering B&B&Co’s SciFi-Channel-esque disdain for the fans, I’d be willing to bet they thought it would slip past us. Smegheads.

The episode also features one of the best closing scenes the series has seen in many a moon.
Well the final scene is flat and not really needed.

I hope these kids changed their sheets after they were done…
Old 02-19-03, 11:55 PM
Banned

there was a nod to Dr.Who tonight? What did this TARDIS like ship look like?Pictures?
Old 02-20-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
What the heck is TARDIS?

*edit* just found a pic. now what is it? I never watched Dr. Who

I thought it was a pretty good episode. It served as a nice teaser to what could be a good plot.

One of the main problems I have with this series is that it really does not feel like this time line takes place before Kirks time. The style and directing take much more precedence to the very few homage to TOS. a few switches here and there will not make me feel like this takes place before Kirk. But this episode for some reason was better in this respect. Don't know why.

I really do not like the whole temporal cold war plot. The whole time travel deal started with Voyager and it felt pushed then and it feels pushed now. I wish Star Trek would forget about the whole "there are people in the future who travel through time like we travel through space" deal. it makes it feel really cheap and campy.

Now can someone once again give me some background story from TOS. Was "The Tholian Web" that episode when they could not out run a web like device that kept moving with them? We never saw any of the tholians or their ships did we. Do they play some significance in federation history?

Last edited by tanman; 02-20-03 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-20-03, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tanman

Now can someone once again give me some background story from TOS. Was "The Tholian Web" that episode when they could not out run a web like device that kept moving with them? We never saw any of the tholians or their ships did we. Do they play some significance in federation history?
In the episode, the Enterprise goes to find a Starfleet ship that sent out a distress call. Upon beaming aboard, they realize the ship is caught in something and is phasing in and out. Kirk gets trapped in subspace or something like it and the Enteprise must wait until the correct time they can pull him out. While waiting, the Tholians show up and demand that they leave their space. Spock gets them to give them enough time until the next opening, but when it comes, it doesn't work and they have to wait longer. When the time limit passes, the Tholians begin to build their web around the ship, which will slowly collapse inwards and crush the Enterprise. They get Kirk out and escape the web by traveling through the interphase.

The Tholian Web and ship:

The Tholian Captain:
Old 02-20-03, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
very cool! thanks.

I also have to say that I wish I had all your toys! esp the star trek ships. I only have TOS enterprise.

Last edited by tanman; 02-20-03 at 01:54 AM.
Old 02-20-03, 06:03 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Am I the only one who's only strong memory of the Tholians is from that AfterDark screen saver?
Old 02-20-03, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by tanman
What the heck is TARDIS?
See what I mean? If not for this forum, tanman would have thought it was an original concept.

TARDIS stands for Time And Relative Dimensions In Space. The “police box” is WAY bigger on the inside than on the outside. I believe The Doctor once used the term “transcendental geometry” to describe the phenomenon.

I watched this one again to try to figure out why the fanboys have a raging boner for this episode. I found one post suggesting it was the best ever. WTF??

You mention Cochrane and everybody gets wood?

And throw in the Tholians and it’s party time! “The Tholians are extremely xenophobic.” This, of course, explains why they traveled far far from their own system to save Enterprise from temporal radiation.

Does anybody with two brain cells available think for one moment that Dumb and Dumber give a fat fig about the Star Trek Universe?

This was a just so so episode, made better by music that finally shows signs of life after almost two years. But a John Williams score couldn’t hide the fact that the plot, such as it is, is used and abused. The overacting was more pronounced than normal – N’Pol on the bridge during the last battle sounded like she was about to have kittens.

What’s the use of the lock on Daniel’s quarters? I’ll bet everybody knows the combination.

Now we find out that not only is Lips an idiot about time travel, she’s also a racist.

BTW, anybody notice: big huge chunk taken outta the Vulcan ship and “no casualties.”
Old 02-20-03, 08:10 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally posted by Wizdar
I’ve created better scores in the bathroom.

While you had many valid points, Wizdar, this one, this one sticks out.

For all their vaunted superior knowledge, intellect and logical reasoning, the Vulcans can sure be stupid. Not to acknowledge the possibility of time travel? I never knew the Vulcans, as a race, were so close-minded (so much for IDIC). Thanks Berman and Braga!
Old 02-20-03, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
The Tholian voices were so much cooler in The Tholian Web.

Okay episode. The Tholian ships were pretty cool. I'm sick of the Suliban and Temporal Cold War plotline.
Old 02-20-03, 10:48 AM
Cool New Member

very nice episode !!!
Old 02-20-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And throw in the Tholians and it’s party time! “The Tholians are extremely xenophobic.” This, of course, explains why they traveled far far from their own system to save Enterprise from temporal radiation.

I guess you didnt understand that they are participants in the Temporal Cold War and were most likely told to capture the vessel.

Matt
Old 02-20-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm assuming we found that out in an earlier episode?
Old 02-20-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MvRojo
I guess you didnt understand that they are participants in the Temporal Cold War and were most likely told to capture the vessel.

Matt
Although I won't argue that they're participants in the TCW, exactly why would they be firing on another participant in the TCW?

Or does this open up a new line of questioning. If they're participants AND are firing on the Suliban, does this mean they have their own version of "future guy" for another side of the war?
Old 02-20-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
There are supposed to be several factions in the Temporal Cold War, so it's fair to assume that two different factions could be hostile to the "federation" as well as to each other (especially xenophobic races like the tholians).

The fact that they told the Archer that the vessel was emitting radiation has little to do with their concern for his safety. They just wanted him to hand it over to them so they wouldn't have to deal with him face-to-face.
Old 02-20-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm assuming we found that out in an earlier episode?
No, it was in this episode. Archer was telling T'Pol about how Daniels told him of other factions, and Archer surmises that the Tholians are part of another faction.

Matt
Old 02-20-03, 04:29 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Maybe they just had enough knowledge and technology to notice an artifact from the future when they detected one, and thought "hey, THAT'D be a cool thing to have!"
Old 02-20-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MvRojo
Archer surmises that the Tholians are part of another faction.
OK. Ya got me on that one.
Old 02-21-03, 01:49 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was a little dumbfounded too when they came across the Vulcan battle cruiser drifting in space, with tons of debris floating around, and N'Pol reports, "no casualties" aboard!??! WTH?

So if the Tholians completely destroyed all of the Suliban ships, why "disable" the Vulcan cruiser? My only theory would be b/c the Vulcans are non-combatants?

Ick. Still, a better episode than most, but again, that's not saying much.

-BT