Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy 02-18

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffy 02-18

I didn't see the usual Buffy thread that gets started a week in advance so here goes...

I thought this was a really cool episode with the shadow box thingy and the ending was great.
Old 02-18-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Next week's looks funny.

As for this week's, did anyone else expect to hear the words "A New Power is Rising" boom out when they did that sweep of the demons at the end? (Only fellow geeks will understand what I mean.)

Overall, great episode with some new insight. I doubt Joss or Fox want to spend the money on a grand battle for the end of Buffy, so I am sure they will do something like
Spoiler:
close the portal before the army can arrive

Also, did anyone else think that when the shamen told her "what she didn't know" that it was going to be that Angelus was back? Her expression lead me to believe such.
Old 02-18-03, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD

Spoiler:
close the portal before the army can arrive

I was thinking that too but I don't know...I think there is going to be an epic battle...go out on a big note....that is assuming there isn't going to be a spinoff.

As for next week I didn't see the spoiler but I really hope it's not a throw-away comedy episode.
Old 02-18-03, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a need for a motivational speech from Buffy every episode now? Stop it, you are wasting valuable Buffy time!

Anyway, I enjoyed the episode. I hope that they hurry up and resolve the Wood/Spike thing, because I don't think that it would be great to draw it out. And it seems pretty obvious, based on storyline and cast news that
Spoiler:
Anya is going to be the next Scooby to be killed
Old 02-18-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think this episode had one of the best one-liners ever....Spike and beating off the demon.
Old 02-18-03, 09:12 PM

Hi,
best episode of Buffy in several weeks although I agree the patented "Buffy" speech does grow tiresome. Hopefully, this was the last one. It was nice seeing a hint of the old Spike and the homage to Peter Jackson at the end was great. Just looking at next week's episode I can't imagine Andrew not taking part in whatever form Buffy takes next season.
Old 02-18-03, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by costanza187
I think this episode had one of the best one-liners ever....Spike and beating off the demon.
That line made me spit my water out.
Old 02-18-03, 09:35 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Wow-- Buffy vs. the Kinda Bad CG.
Old 02-18-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Buffy speech ruined the rest of the ep for me. She's a huge hypocrite. Now she's talking all big when she was sulking for all of last season? Where was she when Willow was about to destroy the world....getting her butt kicked. Where was she when Spike was getting tortured( first by Glory and then by the First)...getting her butt kicked.

And after the whole 'take it up a notch' speech, she refuses to take the power she needs to win because it made her feel bad?

Where's Faith when you need her?

D
Old 02-18-03, 11:06 PM

Liked this ep Alot. The shadow casting thingy was
pretty cool. Always enjoy when cool props
are used.

Not sure what the costumer was thinking, dressing
Buffy in the retro Stevie Nicks black chiffon like
skirt and boots though.
Old 02-18-03, 11:15 PM

Buffy's the last Slayer? Has anybody told Faith yet?

Kennedy really needs less screen time; this week she just seemed like a power-mad brat. The whole training scene was disgusting--I can't believe she felt the need to be that horrible to the girls (The 'maggot' thing was bad enough--but shrieking at a girl for waving without permission? While Madame Kennedy is acting all 'Arn't I and my abusive ways so kayoot' at Buffy?), and I can't believe that nobody voiced a problem with that. Buffy, the most successful Slayer we know of, would have flipped out if Giles treated her half so badly.

And then she tries to use her new girlfriend in a powerplay during Buffy Speech #600. It's just bizarre that she'd try to discredit Buffy because Willow's theoretically more powerful. And, of course, she's not going to listen to anybody's warnings about the negative side of Willow's power.

Buffy's Speech: Blah. Yes, pretty much everyone is useless at the moment. But, given that they have no idea how to even start fighting the First, there's no way for anybody to be useful. And I'm still not clear on what the Potentials are supposed to be able to do--Aren't they pretty much normal people with decent fighting instincts?

Spike apparently needed to be de-chipped so that, when Wood finally gets around to trying to kill him, he won't die. I do give Wood credit for trying to verify the First's claim, instead of just taking it as truth.

Did Giles just disappear off the face of the planet? Shouldn't he have been doing the translating?

When did Dawn learn Sumerian? I know the text started changing towards the end, but she was able to do rough translations without any help whatsoever.

Buffy turned down a buttload of power. That was dumb. If it was the same thing that had created the First Slayer, she wouldn't have been that much less human for taking the power. And, yes, forcing some girl to absorb the essence of a demon sucks, and is mean. But, geez, it's saved the world an uncountable number of times, so cut the old guys some slack.

I actually did like the episode, despite that. Something actually happened. This episode finally defined a clear threat presented by the First (aside from its ability to talk. And talk. And talk.) We actually got some Slayer backstory. There wasn't an overbearing number of Spuffy scenes. Much better than recent episodes.
Old 02-18-03, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by Jlbkwrm
[B]Buffy's the last Slayer? Has anybody told Faith yet?
the original watchers did not say she was the last slayer....they said she was the hellmouth’s last guardian...to my eyes that is a big difference....
Old 02-18-03, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by Nathan Gervais
the original watchers did not say she was the last slayer....they said she was the hellmouth’s last guardian...to my eyes that is a big difference....
Guh. You're right, my bad.
Old 02-18-03, 11:43 PM

Liked tonights episode a lot.

Xanders line of "You must be the exchange student." was great.
Very funny.

I thought for sure they were going to have to rely on Andrew's big board for something important. Maybe in a future episode.
I guess he was way to busy with those darn funnel cakes.
Old 02-19-03, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Jlbkwrm? Stay outta my head dammit!

With the exception of the last slayer thing, I agree 110% with what you said...

Whew. Saves on my keystrokes this week.

BTW...i'm glad that they included the lil bit with Spike and Wood's mom for those of us who joined the party late...
Old 02-19-03, 12:47 AM

After seeing tonight's ending I am waiting for Andrew to start wandering around the house looking for his "precious".
Old 02-19-03, 01:01 AM

Buffy turned down a buttload of power. That was dumb. If it was the same thing that had created the First Slayer, she wouldn't have been that much less human for taking the power. And, yes, forcing some girl to absorb the essence of a demon sucks, and is mean. But, geez, it's saved the world an uncountable number of times, so cut the old guys some slack.
This just about ruined the episode for me. Her rejection of the power was poorly explained and seemed inconsistent with her character. After she gives another rah-rah speech to the troops and bravely plunges unknowingly into a portal, she suddenly decides not to accept the power and guidance she finds there. Heck, these were the guys who created the first Slayer! Does she suddenly think she has more on the ball than they do?
Old 02-19-03, 01:22 AM

Originally posted by Jlbkwrm
Maybe Buffy was afraid that she would turn into the same wild creature that the first Slayer turned into and now haunts her in her dreams.
Old 02-19-03, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just wanted to spoil the whole episode for captainmarvel, like he/she wants to believe I did last week's "Angel". That was NOT Chloe talking to the Scooby Gang, really it wasnt.
Old 02-19-03, 02:14 AM

Originally posted by Skorp
Her rejection of the power was poorly explained and seemed inconsistent with her character. After she gives another rah-rah speech to the troops and bravely plunges unknowingly into a portal, she suddenly decides not to accept the power and guidance she finds there. Heck, these were the guys who created the first Slayer! Does she suddenly think she has more on the ball than they do?
My take on her turning down the demon power is rooted in season 6. Back then she was really afraid she had "come back wrong". It disturbed her to no end. I think the idea that she would be so much the demon scared her. It is not something she has ever wanted. That alone made it character-consistent to me.

~wis
Old 02-19-03, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I know I was tired when I watched this episode, but it rated a big blah for me. Maybe it'll go over better when I watch it again before midnight instead of after midnight, and not so tired.
Old 02-19-03, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I want one of those shadow thingies!

Highlights:
- Andrew's board
- Anya's "Did you miss her 'everyone sucks but me' speech?" line
- Spike beating off a demon
- the LOTR-esque final shot

I know it's against popular opinion, but I dig Buffy's gloom-and-doom speeches.

Now, if my dear Faith would just hurry up and get her bad-ass self back to Sunnydale.........
Old 02-19-03, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Buffy's speeches need to go. I feel like a teenager getting lectured by my parents, and I do what teenagers do, which is tune out of the tirade until it's over.
Old 02-19-03, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
I feel like a teenager getting lectured by my parents, and I do what teenagers do, which is tune out of the tirade until it's over.
Yeah, but that's what she is doing - lecturing.

I think it's her character's perception that the SIT's and the rest of the gang are not sufficiently prepared (physically or mentally), which combined with the apparent futility of the whole thing.........
Old 02-19-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I know, but I, as the viewer, am tuning out of the episode when Buffy gets all lecturial on the SITs, and that's not a good thing!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.