Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dreamcast Re-Appreciation

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-03, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dreamcast Re-Appreciation

I finally re-acquired a DC yesterday and picked up some games today. I had to sell mine back in 2000 for college money so I missed out on a lot of great games. Now I'm basking in the glow of Jet Grind Radio and SF3: Third Strike for the first time at home.

It's sad that a console as great as Dreamcast just couldn't keep Sega in the game. If the DC had been able to stay afloat, it would surely be my favorite system today as both my favorite GCN game (SMB) and Xbox game (PDO) are courtesy of Sega. I'd imagine that the online community would especially impressive by now as well.

This from a diehard, old school Nintendo fan.
Old 02-17-03, 06:02 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved my DC, but I wasn't as gaga over it as a lot of people where.

Mainly because I'm not a big sega fan, outside of their sports line anyway.

I hated Jet Grind Radio and Shenmue, and didn't like Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 very well.

Really if it hadn't been for Soul Calibur, the Sega Sports games, and the best version of Rayman 2, I'd have been dissappointed with the system.
Old 02-17-03, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Way too many cool fighting games hit the DC that will most likely never go anywhere else. Ill never part with my DC.
Old 02-17-03, 08:14 PM

I know nintendo and sega were rivals back in the day, but they have more in common now than any of the other manufacturers.

"College money?" a DC and some games wouldn't make a dent in your tuition, so I assume this is beer money?

Hooray for chu chu rocket.
Old 02-17-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I Did have Brand New Sega Dreamcast Sport Bundle plus more than 70 DC games Everything is NEEEEEW and Sealz
Old 02-17-03, 09:22 PM
Banned

i liked dc but i traded it in i kinda regret it just cause of teh light gun game confidential mission. thatw as hard to get. i dont even know why dc failed.it was alot betetr then ps1 and n64 they ahd great arcade games. it was a dust collector and i neded moeny for ps2 games so i traded it in.
Old 02-17-03, 09:25 PM
Retired

DC failed mainly because Sega had screwed over their fan base with the Sega CD, 32x and Saturn debacles. A lot of people just opted to wait for the PS2.

Piracy likely played a role also, as it was extremely rampant.

I was sad to see it die, some of the games (i.e. Soul Calibur) still look at least as good as any PS2 game. If the DC had survived and been well supported I probably wouldn't have bought a PS2, and would have just had a DC and GCN combination this generation and saved myself $200.
Old 02-17-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
DC failed mainly because Sega had screwed over their fan base with the Sega CD, 32x and Saturn debacles. A lot of people just opted to wait for the PS2.

Piracy likely played a role also, as it was extremely rampant.

I was sad to see it die, some of the games (i.e. Soul Calibur) still look at least as good as any PS2 game. If the DC had survived and been well supported I probably wouldn't have bought a PS2, and would have just had a DC and GCN combination this generation and saved myself $200.
I don't buy that. The DC launch was pretty successful. All those people who were holding a grudge from the Saturn launch still bought one, along with a lot of other gamers both hardcore and mainstream. It sold well at launch because it had a lot of good launch titles and was at a great pricepoint. It failed because it couldn't keep up with the Sony juggernaught a year later with the PS2 launch.

And don't blame piracy either, because a) you couldn't just rent DC games and copy them because of the GD-ROM format; and b)PSX piracy was and still is rampant yet that's one of the most successful consoles ever.

Jeremy
Old 02-17-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The problem was that Sega has/had a great deal of debt and the DC wasn't enough of a success. The installed base was good, not great, and the games sold well, but not amazingly well. Sega makes most of their money through software sales and their simply wasn't enough to offset the hardware losses and keep them in business as they had always been. The PS2 pre-launch hype was pretty insane for a console and that likely kept some people from purchasing the DC.

I believe the DC was more successful at the 15 month point in its lifecycle than the GCN or Xbox are at the moment, but I'm not positive.

I dig Sega's quirky/niche games just as much as I dig their sports stuff so DC was just a great system for me. As a 2D fighter fan, there hasn't been anything like the DC before or since. Like most I do wish that it could have hung around and matured. It is nice to be able to pick up great $5 games though.
Old 02-17-03, 10:54 PM
Retired

Sure you couldn't rent and burn them, but you could download them and burn them which is even worse as people don't even have to shell out the rental fee. It was a major problem in college dorms with broadband connections.

I also think segas past hurt them. Sure the Sony juggernaut hurt them, but you think they'd have survived given sony's weak ass launch lineup.

There are lots of things that led to it's fail, but I stick by my point. Past failure and piracy were the top two things on the list of problems that doomed the DC.
Old 02-17-03, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
The PS2 pre-launch hype was pretty insane for a console and that likely kept some people from purchasing the DC.

You are so right on that point. I was one of those people that decided to save my money for the PS2. I didnt buy a DC until it was being sold for $50.

Josh, werent you one of the people who in another thread were arguing against me when I said piracy played a major part in the failure of the DC?
Old 02-17-03, 11:51 PM
Retired

Nope, I've always said piracy was a major reason for it's failure, must have been someone else.
Old 02-18-03, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Jtnguyen12
I Did have Brand New Sega Dreamcast Sport Bundle plus more than 70 DC games Everything is NEEEEEW and Sealz
Did have? What did you do with the new system and the 70+ new games?

I bought the 2K1 Sports Bundle and still have my system. I've got 52 games and 37 of them are still sealed. I'll eventually get around to playing the games.

I also think Sega's past had partly to do with the DC's failure. Considering it's previous systems (after the Genesis) didn't do well, most people were probably waiting to see if the DC was going to be their comeback system.

I was also sad to see the DC's lifespan end so quickly. But I was able to get the 2K1 sports bundle for $70 and a lot of the games for cheap.
Old 02-18-03, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Go Dreamcast!
Old 02-18-03, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Dreamcast Re-Appreciation

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
I finally re-acquired a DC yesterday and picked up some games today. I had to sell mine back in 2000 for college money so I missed out on a lot of great games. Now I'm basking in the glow of Jet Grind Radio and SF3: Third Strike for the first time at home.

It's sad that a console as great as Dreamcast just couldn't keep Sega in the game. If the DC had been able to stay afloat, it would surely be my favorite system today as both my favorite GCN game (SMB) and Xbox game (PDO) are courtesy of Sega. I'd imagine that the online community would especially impressive by now as well.

This from a diehard, old school Nintendo fan.
Thats beautiful man
Old 02-18-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm one that felt a little screwed by the Sega CD, and never ended up getting a Saturn, and only got a Dreamcast after it had already failed and come down to $50. So it's all my fault.

I was also disappointed in N64 (didn't feel screwed though, as I paid nothing for it) -- so I'm sure that disappointment (due to a lack of games I wanted to play) is at least part of the reason I still don't own one.
Old 02-18-03, 11:16 AM

i thought sega was a little stupid in making their console white unlike their other consoles. they did come out with a black one, but of course i already bought the white one.

but anyways Dreamcast was fun while it lasted. Tennis 2k1 with 4 human players was off the hook!!!
Old 02-18-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Dreamcast was only a failure from a economic standpoint. My friends and family love it. Whithin my family we have four Dreamcast. Each sibling has one and my soon to be wife has one. We are a two Dreamcast household, grated one is no hooked up in the closet. When we are playing multiplayer games, we will often turn to Dreamcast over Xbox, GC and well PS2 like it had a shot with only two controllers. Like I said in another thread, If I had to pick between it and PS2, althought it would be tough giving up Vice City and Rachet and Clank, I would probably keep the DC.
Old 02-18-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A Dreamcast can now be had for $30.00 at EB used. I'm going to get one soon. I want to play Shenmue!
Old 02-18-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you have a GameCrazy around you, it can be had for $25 with one controller. I'm going to pick up Shenmue soon too.
Old 02-18-03, 09:59 PM

How can you not like the Dreamcast? Because of the Dreamcast we now have online gaming on the consoles. Sega's games are absolutely amazing. Many people dont' like jet grind radio, but it is one of my favorite games of all time. The cell shading really won me over. If anyone here doesn't have a dc, get one! The games are cheap, and altough the system is dead there is plenty of cheap, good content out there that could keep one entertained for months. I think most everyone who doesn't like this system really hasn't given it a fair chance.
Old 02-19-03, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by bjpool1215
How can you not like the Dreamcast? Because of the Dreamcast we now have online gaming on the consoles. Sega's games are absolutely amazing. Many people dont' like jet grind radio, but it is one of my favorite games of all time. The cell shading really won me over. If anyone here doesn't have a dc, get one! The games are cheap, and altough the system is dead there is plenty of cheap, good content out there that could keep one entertained for months. I think most everyone who doesn't like this system really hasn't given it a fair chance.
Preach on my brothah!!!
Old 02-19-03, 02:36 AM

Originally posted by duy37
i thought sega was a little stupid in making their console white unlike their other consoles. they did come out with a black one, but of course i already bought the white one.

but anyways Dreamcast was fun while it lasted. Tennis 2k1 with 4 human players was off the hook!!!
Didn't you know that the best console of each previous generation had always been the white one?
Old 02-19-03, 10:49 AM

Wow, I haven't posted in a while. Nice to see some diehard DCers here. I held onto my Dreamcast, and am glad I did. I am STILL playing Power Stone 2, heheh. Rush 2049 is still one of the best racing/battle games made, period. I also like being able to use my PS2 controllers on my Dreamcast (using an adapter). I missed out on the $4.99 game clearance Best Buy had a while back, and I'm kicking myself now.
Old 02-19-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, 23 posts and no Chu-Chu Rocket lovin'. For shame people!

It's still the game that gets the most play in my collection.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.