Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the Indigo Gamecube being discontinued?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-03, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At Circuit City.com, the Indigo cube is listed as Clearance and while supplies last. The Black and Platinum versions are not listed as such.

Also, BestBuy is letting you buy the Indigo SMS Bundle and still get another free game with it...

Is Nintendo phasing out the Indigo?

(on a somewhat related noted, how "limited" is the limited edition Platinum?)
Old 02-16-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I hope so. They never should have released it in the first place.

I'm sure they have looked at how the black and Platinum outsells the indigo and discontinued it. Indigo is one of those strange colors that should stay in Japan IMO.

I don't think Platinum is that limited. I see it and black everywhere. I haven't seen an Indigo Cube in a month or so.
Old 02-16-03, 10:52 PM

Old 02-16-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I still see them around all the time in Phoenix.

If Nintendo wants to ditch the "teh kiddie" perception that some people have, it's probably for the best to at least feature the Black or Platinum in the ads if the don't want to discontinue the Indigo.
Old 02-16-03, 11:03 PM

As Darkside said I feel it never should have been released here to begin with, purple is nice and all but kinda hard to convince friends a system isn't going to be so kiddie this time around when all the ads featured a purple box with a handle on it.

But to stay on topic, now that you mention it I haven't seen an indigo cube in a month now, Best buy , Target and Kmarts that I normally visit all feature black or platinum. So maybe they are phasing it out.
Old 02-16-03, 11:08 PM

Probably not seeing as how the Gameboy Advance SP is coming out in Platinum and Cobalt(or metallic purple). Hence why I'm importing the black one.
Old 02-16-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't heard anything about it being discontinued. Besides, if it was, wouldn't it have been cheaper on the site even by just a few dollars?
Old 02-17-03, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I personally opted for the Black Cube when I got mine back before Thanksgiving and I'm glad that I did. Now I have a nice black XBox sitting right next to it and they both match.
Old 02-17-03, 02:44 AM

All I can say is thank God the "Spice" GC and the Pink one that was intiially shown when first announced didn't hit the states either.
Old 02-17-03, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by C-Killer Redux
Probably not seeing as how the Gameboy Advance SP is coming out in Platinum and Cobalt(or metallic purple). Hence why I'm importing the black one.
Cobalt is Blue not purple, which is much more acceptable. It is the same color as my Palm Vx case. Blue is a widely accepted color for just about everything, while purple is a fringe color. I would have much prefered a Cobalt GC as a compared to an Indigo one. In fact, Indigo, the word, is supposed to be blue as well but I guess not in Nintendo's eyes.

I have the Platinum GC, but if I had known how limited it actually was going to be, I would have opted for Black probably.
Old 02-17-03, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

All I can say is thank God the "Spice" GC and the Pink one that was intiially shown when first announced didn't hit the states either.
Yeah having choice sucks! We should all be forced into boring black consoles!

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 02-17-03 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-17-03, 07:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I own an Indigo cube. The quality of gameplay is more important to me than the color of the console. If that makes me a kiddie, so be it.
Old 02-17-03, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Tigger
I was really bummed they never released the spice colour one in the states. I was super wanting an orange gaming system - just because it was so different. A pink one would have been funny as well actually - would have matched my imported milky pink GBA.
Old 02-17-03, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Tigger
I almost spent the extra $50 just to have the orange one thankyouverymuch. However.. add shipping to that and about a week of waiting to play Metroid and it just wasn't worth it..
Old 02-17-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd have liked one in Glacier (like the GBA), or a clear case. In any case, I own a black one.

It could be as simple as sales numbers, and deciding only to ship those that are selling well over here. You can believe if the Indigo ones were selling like crazy here, Nintendo would continue shipping them here. Obviously competition makes a company review every aspect of its product more, and this is just another example of that.
Old 02-17-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

hey I have an Indigo GC, and it looks sweet I might add

But when I saw the platinum one it made me want to get that one, but I already have a GC.

Eitherway having a choice of colors is nice.
Old 02-17-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Platinum getting hard to find my area rite now.

Samgoody & Suncoast, Target, Walmart, Kmart, Babbage's, Gamestop, Funcoland, and Software Etc, and Bestbuy: They Do carry Alot Indigo & Black GameCube but None Platinum GC

Circuit City & Toysrus: Do carry 4-6 Platinum GC left.

Last edited by Jtnguyen12; 02-17-03 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-17-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
I too have the Indigo GCN and like it very much. Is it kid like? not likely. is it kid like to complain about having too much of a choice? more likely.
Old 02-17-03, 05:27 PM
Retired

I don't think it was a mistake to make the indigo GC, it was just dumb as hell to market it the way they did.

A lot of people had the impression that it was only available in purple (especially in the months leading up to launch) because that was all you ever saw in ads and magazines.

I wanted, and got a black one at launch, and I'm the type that really doesn't care what color my systems are as they go behind wooden doors under my tv anyway. I waited in line and would have take indigo if I had no choice, but I was hoping for a black one. So I'm sure the marketing was a major downfall in the beginning for people that keep their systems in view and would never by a purple one.

Color choices are awesome though. They should just focus on advertising the normal black one, while noting it's also available in other colors, rather than the other way around.
Old 02-17-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I hope so... then I can sell mine on eBay and say it's OOP and RARE!

-k
###
Old 02-17-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle

Color choices are awesome though. They should just focus on advertising the normal black one, while noting it's also available in other colors, rather than the other way around.
I agree. Nothing wrong with color choices. I still think Blue or Clear would have been better alternates to Indigo in the US market though. The marketing at launch with the Indigo model featured really didn't give them the image they were looking for in the US IMO.
Old 02-17-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why is indigo a kiddie color? I liked it. I GOT the indigo. :P Besides, Silicon Graphics liked it enough to name one of their best machines (back in its day) after it - good enough for me.
Old 02-18-03, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope not. I like having a system with a wide variety of choices. Appeals to more people
Old 02-18-03, 03:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
I ordered the indigo but they gave me a platinum one. I was thinking about exchanging it actually.....
Old 02-18-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Trevor
I ordered the indigo but they gave me a platinum one. I was thinking about exchanging it actually.....
Hey, I've got an Indigo but want the Platinum.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.