Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

The Exorcist: 25th Anniversary SE

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-03, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone own or have a good review of this DVD? I really want to get this movie but there seems to be too editions out.. there's the "Version You've Never Seen Before" one, and the 25th Anniversary one. They both seem to have a good bulk of supplementary material on the disc. Any thoughts on this?
Old 02-16-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Well, if you're a big fan you should have both as they each have (slightly) different movies.

The 25th Ann is the original theatrical cut, and the Version YOu've Never... is the recent "Author's Cut"

The 25th might be hard to find though, I think it's out of print. Try used shops.
Old 02-16-03, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have both. I like the 25th version better. First cut of the film and the Fear of God doc. I did not like the commentary though. If you have seen both versions I would pick the one you like better and not worry about the extras.
Old 02-16-03, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like I'll be looking be getting the 25th Anniversary DVD. You guys mentioned it just went out of print, so now would be a good time to get a possible future collector's item. I think I remember seeing a few copies left at Best Buy for $22.99.

One thing, does the documentary on the 25th ed. talk about the real life story that the movie is portraying or does it simply talk about the effects and such? One of the big reasons I liked the movie so much is that it's something deep and dark that actually happened, and I hope the DVD contains info about it.
Old 02-17-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by NaturalMystic79
Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like I'll be looking be getting the 25th Anniversary DVD. You guys mentioned it just went out of print, so now would be a good time to get a possible future collector's item. I think I remember seeing a few copies left at Best Buy for $22.99.

One thing, does the documentary on the 25th ed. talk about the real life story that the movie is portraying or does it simply talk about the effects and such? One of the big reasons I liked the movie so much is that it's something deep and dark that actually happened, and I hope the DVD contains info about it.
Yes it goes into some detail about the real life incident that was the basis of the story! All in all its one of the better Docs. out there.
Old 02-17-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree with what others have said.....this film is one of the rare times when I own two different dvds of the same film, but if I were going to only have one, I would get the 25th Ann. Ed.
Old 02-17-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got it! $22.99 at Best Buy. The guy wasn't sure if it was out of print of not, but I got it over the "Version You've Never Seen." I have a small concern:

The DVD cover has 25th Anniversary on the bottom, but it doesn't have the "WB Special Edition" gold writing on the top. On all the reviews of the movie I've seen on the internet it has the gold title on top of where it says "William Peter Blatty's". Did I not get a legit version, or did they change the cover art (made it less flashy) then a previously released 25th Anniversary? I had to read the back to make double sure it had all the features (i.e. commentary, "Fear Of God" doc., trailers, etc.), because the front of the cover looks plain jane, other than the 25th anniverary subtly written on the bottom.
Old 02-18-03, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't worry, i have your version and your fine. Must be a newer version.
Old 02-19-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I only went with the 25Th Ann version.Better version of the film,better extras.

Though i only sampled the begining of the commentary.Now everyone says Friedkins commentary on this is great,while the "Authors Cut' version he is boring explaining everything going on onscreen.Well it sounded alot like he was explaining everything in the 25th Ann. as well "This was filmed in Iraq..& so in so is doing this..now he is walking here".

Is the whole commentary like that or does he discuss real interesting information?

Anyway at least he was more informative in the documentary which was excellent.
Old 02-19-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He discussed further on about him reading the book and how bad the m the crsifix was in the book, and the problems with rumors ect.
He is really bad in "the french connection" he just described what was going on screen. Even the Farrely brothers are better than that.
Old 02-19-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The disc is great! I really enjoyed the documentary and the trailers. As for the actual film, I was a little disappointed with the sound, but I guess that's coming from a 1973 track, so it's showing it's age. The picture was pretty good, although I noticed some colors change in the background. Overall the 25th Ann. is a solid disc which I'm proud to own.
Old 02-19-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked the added scenes in the newer versions. The extra medical stuff with Regan was especially unsettling & added to the mother's feeling of hopeleseness. Plus, I don't know about the 25th version, but this one has a fantastic 5.1 mix.