Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

New XBOX to be unveiled at E3

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-03, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New XBOX to be unveiled at E3

Link

It'll be smaller and look better sitting under your telly... but it'll still do exactly the same thing

A new, smaller-sized Xbox is expected to be unveiled at the E3 show in May.

The new version of the Microsoft's mean machine is likely to be closer in size to a PS2 and will lose the curved surfaces in favour of a flat body.

In terms of the machine's innards, it is not expected to differ to the current model, with the only addition being Xbox Live software being pre-installed.

Microsoft are also expected to unveil the first Halo 2 code at E3 - the biggest gaming show of the year. The event takes place in Los Angeles on 14-16 May.
Old 02-16-03, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Will it be any cheaper?
Old 02-16-03, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
hmm
Old 02-16-03, 10:42 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great idea.

The current X-box's size and weight are a strike against it for me.

It's too wide to go under the tv with the PS2 and GC, because of the support beam in the middle.

I could cram it in behind the glass doors with the DVD player, CD player etc. But I don't have an empty shelf and it's too heavy to stack on top of something and the beveled top keeps you from staking anything on top of it.

If it's really the size of the PS2 I could just put it under the TV and stack the PS2 on top of it. Only problem would be tangled controller cords, but I can live with that.

If this really comes out, costs $150 or less, and Halo drops to $20 (or is available in a "pick a free game deal") I'd be all over it.
Old 02-16-03, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

People who have hacked the x-box say it's really a 20Gb drive in there partitioned so you can only see 8GB. My guess is with the smaller on they are going to use a laptop hd. The smaller ones are pretty cheap and will still have enough space on them to hold anything that is needed.
Old 02-16-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by al_bundy
People who have hacked the x-box say it's really a 20Gb drive in there partitioned so you can only see 8GB. My guess is with the smaller on they are going to use a laptop hd. The smaller ones are pretty cheap and will still have enough space on them to hold anything that is needed.

That is intresting, any idea why they would make the drive seem smaller ?
Old 02-16-03, 12:44 PM

I think it is actually 10GB, and it is either not used or used for loading game information like levels.
Old 02-16-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmmmmmmm... Smaller Version Xbox is better or currently release XBOX is Better ??
Old 02-16-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by Jtnguyen12
Hmmmmmmm... Smaller Version Xbox is better or currently release XBOX is Better ??
Yes.
Old 02-16-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i think the smaller/flatter one will be better. i used to have the xbox sort of stacked on the ps2 but it was a wonky setup. (now i have them side by side).

also, it will probably be easier to carry around if you travel.
Old 02-16-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by young

also, it will probably be easier to carry around if you travel.
Thats exactly what I was thinking. I'm glad they are shrinking it down. I was hoping for something more the size of the PSone though.
Old 02-16-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it ever gets to the PSOne size it won't be in the near future.
Old 02-16-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate the beveled top. Im glad theyre getting rid of it. Im not buying another but it bodes well for the next gen.
Old 02-16-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by BigDaddy
That is intresting, any idea why they would make the drive seem smaller ?
They won't tell the consumer that the new one has a smaller drive, that's now a selling point.

The units out now do have larger drives. This is so you can store many more music on it, have room for loads, have room for downloaded content, etc.

The drives they originally used were probably a little bit larger than they really needed, and they probably got some good PR out of it. People online telling their friends that they are able to rip XX:XX hours of music onto it, etc.

Now that they are trying to update it, make it smaller (and cheaper) it's time for them to cut a few corners.

This is kinda the same thing Sony did with the PS2. When they brought the PS2 stateside, they changed it up the hard drive configuration (to save money) and took the 8meg memory card out of the box; made it an accessory.

They didn't tell the U.S. buyers that they weren't getting the mem card in the box; they just promoted the newer, lower price.

-k
###
Old 02-16-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Keyser Soze
They won't tell the consumer that the new one has a smaller drive, that's now a selling point.

The units out now do have larger drives. This is so you can store many more music on it, have room for loads, have room for downloaded content, etc.

The drives they originally used were probably a little bit larger than they really needed, and they probably got some good PR out of it. People online telling their friends that they are able to rip XX:XX hours of music onto it, etc.

Now that they are trying to update it, make it smaller (and cheaper) it's time for them to cut a few corners.

This is kinda the same thing Sony did with the PS2. When they brought the PS2 stateside, they changed it up the hard drive configuration (to save money) and took the 8meg memory card out of the box; made it an accessory.

They didn't tell the U.S. buyers that they weren't getting the mem card in the box; they just promoted the newer, lower price.

-k
###
isn't it a little bit early to be drinking heavily?
Old 02-16-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trigger
isn't it a little bit early to be drinking heavily?
Nope... Im not drunk. Do you think the xboxes really need a 15-20 gig hard drive on them?

I'm just talking marketing. We all know that M$ has to get the price of these things down some so they can at least try to turn a profit on the units.

-k
###
Old 02-16-03, 04:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jtnguyen12
Devil is GooD.
Old 02-16-03, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Could just be since the time of the old xbox, the drives have become smaller in size with as much equel space to spare.
Old 02-16-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Could just be since the time of the old xbox, the drives have become smaller in size with as much equel space to spare.
Nope, go back under your rock.

-k
###
Old 02-16-03, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hard Drives are cheap, so I'm not sure of cost savings (although any savings means more money in their pocket... and laptops come with much bigger HD's than 8 GB, so size wouldn't be that big of a consideration.

So I'm not sure why a new smaller X-Box would really have an HD with any less space.

People interested in flashing whole games down to the HD are replacing the drives, anyway... so I don't understand why they would put less of a drive in it.

But smaller is good, as long as there are not overheating problems. No, I won't know what to do if a really good deal comes along, buy one or wait for the "new" model.
Old 02-16-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Keyser Soze
Nope... Im not drunk. Do you think the xboxes really need a 15-20 gig hard drive on them?

I'm just talking marketing. We all know that M$ has to get the price of these things down some so they can at least try to turn a profit on the units.

-k
###
I was just teasing you for the way you said it, not for what you said.

Although - MS is just gonna get whatever batch of Hard drive is cheapest - whether it be 8gb or 15gb... they're not going to be any smaller than 8gb though. Also, smaller laptop drives aren't cheaper than normal ones... they don't perform as well though, I know that.

I've always liked the design of the Xbox personally. This move seems to be more aimed at the Japanese market.
Old 02-16-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sniper308
I won't know what to do if a really good deal comes along, buy one or wait for the "new" model.
Do the same as you'd do on a car purchase. Let someone else buy it new, pay the premium... then get it cheaper w/a few miles on it.

I picked up my xbox with HALO for less than $100.

-k
###
Old 02-16-03, 06:36 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I will prob. trade in my old Xbox and get the newer, smaller one, as long as they don't make it to 'cheap'.
Old 02-16-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
You know, I see everyone comparing it to the PS2 in size, but at least you don't have to reach around to the back to turn the Damn thing on like a PS2!! God, I hate that!! I like the size of the PS2, but it's in the middle of my set-up, and reaching in to 'power-on' is a real pain!!
Old 02-16-03, 07:05 PM
Retired

Just press and hold in the button on the front to turn off the ps2. Technically that puts it in standby mode, but all that's running is the little light.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.