Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

"When I was your age"

Old 02-16-03, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
"When I was your age"

I'm hoping that I'm not alone here, and for startes Im not trying to be a jerk so I apologize in advance for people I may upset or offend.

I've been working in a video game store for about seven months now, and I know everyone's tastes are different, and not everyone games the same way twice. But am I the only one who gets annoyed when a thirty something guy walks in and asks if "you have any games like Pac-Man". Or course I recommend the Namco museums, and such but it never seems to please them. They even ask "so which system should I buy? Do you have Atari?" Granted I myself grew up with an Atari system, and much later had an NES. My gripe isnt that they want classic games but it seems that they are unwilling to "evolve" and take a risk at getting a new system. I always do my best to provde them with as much as I can, and yet its never enough. They (my random customer-cave people) seem to want to run away in fear, than take the risk and try something new.

So I have to ask you, at what moment did you decide that "I want a newer system" When did you decide your old games werent cutting it for you? I was fortunate enough to get an upgrade every once and a while and friends who bought newer systems when they came out. I know not everyone has the $$$$$$$ to spend on newer systems every two years, but there is life after Pac-Man.
Old 02-16-03, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I hate it when those real old 30 something people come in to shop . I wish they would stay in the cave

I am 41 years old and own a PS2 and GC.

Some people never grow old and some do. Smile and do your best. a few might actually learn something and decide to buy a newer system
Old 02-16-03, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I try to avoid those game stores in the mall - there's enough stupidity on both sides of the counter at those places that I lose IQ points by just walking by the front of the store.

It has nothing to do with age - there's plenty of really young stupid people.
Old 02-16-03, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I try to avoid those game stores in the mall - there's enough stupidity on both sides of the counter at those places that I lose IQ points by just walking by the front of the store.

It has nothing to do with age - there's plenty of really young stupid people.
Umm...nevermind
Old 02-16-03, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by gcribbs
I hate it when those real old 30 something people come in to shop . I wish they would stay in the cave

I am 41 years old and own a PS2 and GC.

Some people never grow old and some do. Smile and do your best. a few might actually learn something and decide to buy a newer system
Im not griping about them coming to shop, but it annoys me when they ask, I reply, and they refuse to even try. It's a lot of "thats too complicated" or "this seems too oriental" (a customer on the look of Onimusha). Then comes the ever popular "I remember when...(blah)". I do my best to remain friendly and helpful but its hard when someone is wanting PS2 gaming out of their PS1.
Old 02-16-03, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad I'm not in that 30-something plus demographic.

I'm 23 years old and still remember playing my Atari and then moving on to NES and then so on and so on. Now I own a GC and an X-Box while my brothers loan me their PS2 every now and then.

My dad on the other hand, while willing to try new games on the PC, he won't even try any games on the next gen systems. He says, "Controllers are too complicated".
Old 02-16-03, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: "When I was your age"

Originally posted by zero
But am I the only one who gets annoyed when a thirty something guy walks in and asks if "you have any games like Pac-Man".
Ms. Pac-Man?
Old 02-16-03, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: "When I was your age"

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
Ms. Pac-Man?
I actually said that and got complained about.
Old 02-16-03, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: "When I was your age"

I actually said that and got complained about.
Heresy.

That's the first answer on page one of the "Sarcastic Answers To Serious Questions About Videogames" book.
Old 02-16-03, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: "When I was your age"

Heresy.

That's the first answer on page one of the "Sarcastic Answers To Serious Questions About Videogames" book.
Hmm I must find this book.
Old 02-16-03, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my question is, why does this annoy you so much? Do these type of people complain way more than the regular customer, or do anything out of the ordinary that would require you to use more energy? If not, then I don' t see why they would bother you so much. Who cares if they don't want new systems, why is that so bad? Maybe they're not so hardcore on video games and just want some old game that brings back nostalgia. They probably have more important things to concern them like a job, or, a child to take care of. Its not like they're refusing the theory of a democratic goverment, for the likes of a feudal system. So i'm sure that their life is just fine without a ps2 or a gc. I would say, take a deep breath, and let it go. There will always be people who just don't want to be so technologically up to date, and if this doesn't affect anyone but themselves. who cares.

I am not one of these peopel by the way, I am very into the newest, coolest tech stuff, just trying to defend their side.
Old 02-16-03, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^
that was kinda what I was trying to say, but it came out sounding nothing like that.

It just seems like people working in those video game stores (erm... present company excluded) are more elitist than people working in comic book stores these days. Like if you don't know everything about the latest PS2 Japanese Import RPG, then you're not worth talking to. I worked in a video and game rental store for a few years and I remember all the retarded questions I'd get asked on an hourly basis... it didn't really bother me though as I found it quite entertaining. It was also a bit of a self-esteem boost I guess to know more than the idiot customer even though I was just some schlep pulling in minimum wage. That's just the nature of customer service - you're automatically going to know more about the products than 80% of your customers... stupid questions come with the territory.
Old 02-16-03, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think zero was irritated that they'd ask him for advice and then make excuses not to try what he suggested. Also, that they used archaic terms like "oriental."
Old 02-16-03, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think zero was irritated that they'd ask him for advice and then make excuses not to try what he suggested. Also, that they used archaic terms like "oriental."
Oh - yeah I hate that too.
Old 02-16-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The majority of your thirty something crowd have moved on and keep up with current technology....there are always a small percentage in every crowd that just never gets it. As someone pointed out earlier....there are plenty of ignorant "younger generation" individuals out there also.
Old 02-16-03, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

there's enough stupidity on both sides of the counter at those places that I lose IQ points by just walking by the front of the store.
this is usually the case. sad but true.

that game is oriental looking.
Old 02-16-03, 10:38 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, trigger and I agree on something.

Mall game stores have to have a hell of a good deal going on for me to set foot in one for just that reason.
Old 02-17-03, 10:59 AM

As a "Thirty-something" year old guy, it's sad to hear that someone is out there blowing our reputation.

Actually, I played all those old games and have kept up wioth every generation inbetween. Sounds more like a product of being out of the loop too long rather than just being too old.
Old 02-17-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts
"this seems too oriental" (a customer on the look of Onimusha).

too oriental. you live in CA a place that has a much larger asian population than FL and someone complained about a game being too oriental? Imagine if someone said this game looks too Black or this game looks to "Eskimoen"

I feel your pain though. I think that Zero here is just frustrated and is good enough to not take it out on his customers and seek refuge in the intellegent solace of DVDTalk. I grew up on video games since the Atari and have kept up with the technology. I am surprised that those cave people actually walk into a video game store. But I can understand their POV as well. I keep up with the technology but I don't get all the gaming systems. Why? because I would be flooded in video games that I won't end up playing because of time restraints. I will want them but I can't play all of them. It does get overwhelming. So I choose the system which has the types and style of games that I play the most. BTW most of the time that is Nintendo.
Old 02-17-03, 12:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
You should have recommended "K.C. Munchkin."
Old 02-17-03, 01:42 PM

"Ok...I'm a thirty-something" Sheesh...what are we a bunch of chicks? I'm 39 ok! I grew up with the classic arcade games....from Pong all the way up. Some of those games were kick-ass games and I would recommend MAME to anyone that loves video games (not just to older people stuck in a time warp). My 9 year old son spends more time playing MAME on the computer then I do. Because when a game is good at it's core it doesn't need killer graphics and sound!

With that said any one with gaming in there blood will evolve. I never had an Atari 2600 when I was in school cause I couldn't afford one...but when I was older I got a Commodore 64 to handle my gaming and computing jones. I then switched to the Amiga because that was truely were the games with the best sound and graphics could be found at the time. Then later picked up a Genesis and TurboGrafx. When they got old I transitioned back to the PC for games. Then when my son was old enough to start playing I got a N64 and then a Dreamcast and now a GameCube. He's a lucky kid...other kids in the neighborhood have to beg for new games...my kid just gets them without asking...becaue I wanted them!
Old 02-17-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

man, i ask for one game like pac man...
Old 02-17-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It just as bad with young kids refusing to even consider playing an older game because it doesn't have the latest, greatest graphics..
Old 02-17-03, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zero, does your store carry any games like Pacman?
Old 02-17-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
I am 27 and had an Atari, and kept up with every generation of systems. NES-SNES-N64-DC-GC/Xbox. I have a dozen GC games and a half dozen XB games and have enjoyed each and every one of them. It is all about the informed customer. I have only bought 1 or 2 games I really didn't like.

And while I love all my systems and the games on them, I long for the day I can afford a Ms. Pac Man coctail table to put in my house. I got a kick out of the new version with Galaga until some places started charging $1 a game. $1 for Ms. Pac Man, GIMMIE A BREAK Ahhh. My favorite game of all time, but not worth a $1 a play. Does that mean any other game since then sucked... uh not even. You just have to be open minded about things.

Right now I am REALLY enjoying Tiger Woods 2003 on the XBox. Well worth the $50 price tag. Games have come a long way. I'm glad I don't have to deal with those idiots.
But (no offense zero), but Trigger is right. Both sides of the counter have issues. I have a few stories about employees that would have you on the floor. But...

People that come in and ask for advice and leave without taking it, already had their mind made up before they walked into the store.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.