DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Other comic books that should be made into movies

darkflounder
02-14-03, 04:42 AM
With the huge success of Spiderman, X-Men, and the releases of X2, The Hulk, and Daredevil, comic books are finally being given a decent movie treatment.

Are there any other comic books you'd like to see done as movies?

Here's my list:

The Watchmen - C'mon, Terry! Make this one!!
Flaming Carrot - We got a Mystery Men movie, now let's make this one.
Reid Fleming, World's Toughest Milkman - Jim Belushi as Reid, you know you want it.
Iron Man - supposed to be released next year
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - The ultimate Batman story
Milk and Cheese - done ala Roger Rabbit, but with claymation Milk and Cheese instead of cel animation.
Fantastic Four - how long has it been in production??
The Tick - Patrick Warburton returns for a full length story. Dude, Captain Liberty nekkid!!

Giantrobo
02-14-03, 05:26 AM
Kingdom Come

Jackskeleton
02-14-03, 05:29 AM
Sandman(or at the very least a DEATH project)

Battle chasers (then again, 15 minutes into the movie the director will forget what's going on and play FF7 all day)

Pointyskull
02-14-03, 07:28 AM
All I really want is a Terry Gilliam directed Watchmen........
Pleeeeeeeeeeeease!

Other titles I'd like:
Rising Stars
Alien Vs. Predator
Danger Girl

borisdisco
02-14-03, 07:58 AM
Avengers
Fantastic Four
Green Lantern

steebo777
02-14-03, 08:19 AM
The Death of Superman written and directed by Kevin Smith :drool:

sundog
02-14-03, 08:39 AM
I'm of the opinion that Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns are completely unfilmable comics. For one, both are amazing archives of their eras. Either would need to be rewritten to fit into the current cultural context since they make use of cold war paranoia and other aspects. Also, Watchmen has such meticulous character studies that unless a multi-part series was devised, there would be no way to replicate the original's scope.

And of course, both are masterpieces. We're not just talking literary adaptation. These comics also contain unique visual styles that are as important to the story as the script, much moreso than continuing series like Spiderman, Hulk, regular Batman, and Superman. This is why I'm apprehensive of the filming of Batman: Year One, another Miller masterpiece.

I would like to see an adaptation of Sandman or the whole Endless mythos, since it's more tuned to an anthology structure. Just don't let Tim Burton direct since he stole the character design of Dream for Edward Scissorhands.

Alien vs. Predator is a really good idea as well, but maybe too high concept for Hollywood. They would need to inject an identifiable human angle.

An animated Sin City could be cool, just using the harsh blacks and whites of Miller's artwork. Keep it raw.

Krug
02-14-03, 08:47 AM
Concrete. Sin City would be cool too. I'd really wanna see a black and white or animated version of that.

DonnachaOne
02-14-03, 09:13 AM
How about no comic book adaptations until they figure out how to do one well? Not just one in twenty well.

Gilliam won't do Watchmen. Hope you all wanted the two-hour version because that's all you'll ever get.

And I thought it was common knowledge that Paul Anderson was handed Alien Vs. Predator.

Mutley Hyde
02-14-03, 09:17 AM
Reid Fleming? Oh hell yeah! :up:

Cherry Poptart and Milk and Cheese animated features would be rippin'. Also anything Peter Bagge related. :D

What about that Cerebus movie that never materialized?

Marshall Law. :up:

Vespertillio
02-14-03, 10:15 AM
2 Words:

JOHN CONSTANTINE!!!!

kian69
02-14-03, 10:16 AM
Archie :)

Captain Harlock
02-14-03, 10:49 AM
I've read on Comics2Film.com recently that X-Men screenplay writer David Hayter is working on the script for a Watchmen movie.

The Fantastic Four is currently in pre-production. Chris Colombus is co-writing the script with Peyton Reed slated to direct. Unfortunatly I'm not very optimistic about the FF film. I've read in Cinescape that Chris Colombus is has called it the "A Hard Days Night" of super hero movies. According to Cinescape, in Colombus' first draft of the script, they are actually the "Fantastic Five" with Dr. Doom being the Pete Best of the group.

One story line I'd like to see made into a feature film would be X-Men the Dark Phoenix saga.

Kal-El
02-14-03, 11:20 AM
Another vote for Kingdom Come.

SiberianLlama
02-14-03, 11:30 AM
Just off the top of my head:

Bone
Kabuki - only if it's animated
Hellboy - animated
Metabarons

grunter
02-14-03, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Vespertillio
2 Words:

JOHN CONSTANTINE!!!!

Actually this one is already in the pipeline. *Hoo-ray!* (and the crowd goes wild . . . )

But - it's supposed to star Keanu "Whoah" Reeves *Ewwww!* (and the crowd eats Robin's minstrels . . .)

;)

Aaron Amos
02-14-03, 12:08 PM
Doctor Who

Professor Frink
02-14-03, 12:14 PM
Well, it looks like <b>Iron Man</b> is on the fast-track now. Kick ass!

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,422465~1~0~ironmanisnext,00.html

majorjoe23
02-14-03, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by SiberianLlama

Hellboy - animated

A life action Hellboy comes out next year directed by Guillremo Del Toro.

Pointyskull
02-14-03, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Professor Frink
Well, it looks like <b>Iron Man</b> is on the fast-track now. Kick ass!

Holy crap, I almost forgot all about Iron Man. :thumbsup:

RyoHazuki
02-14-03, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by kian69
Archie :) Your dream has come true already. Take a look at this classic
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0099054

Patman
02-14-03, 12:55 PM
Danger Girl

Gen13

Strangers In Paradise

Sojourn

Green Lantern (classic Hal Jordan stuff)

Captain Marvel (Shazam!)

xDareDevilx
02-14-03, 02:45 PM
Preacher!!!
and

Transmetropolitan

(which I heard a rumor that one of these is in talks of becoming a film...i forget which one though)

Hokeyboy
02-14-03, 02:45 PM
Watchmen -- as a 10-part HBO miniseries (a la Band of Brothers or From the Earth To The Moon), produced by Terry Gilliam.

Usagi Yojimbo -- computer animated film from PIXAR.

Lone Wolf and Cub -- traditional animated film from Studio Ghibli.

Fantastic Four -- as a '60s period piece.

Superman -- as a late '50s/early '60s period piece, an homage to the Silver Age, the likes of Curt Swan, Mort Weisenger, etc..

Batman -- starring your mutha.

SpaceBoy
02-14-03, 02:53 PM
Eclipso

Thor

ShadowMan

majorjoe23
02-14-03, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by xDareDevilx
Preacher!!!
and

Transmetropolitan

(which I heard a rumor that one of these is in talks of becoming a film...i forget which one though)

Both are early in the production phase(script polishing) Patrick Stewart has expressed interest in in playing Spider Jerusalem in Transmet(there's a photo of him posing as Spider somewhere on the net)

Garth Ennis is writing the Precher script with James (Cyclops) Marsden interested in playing Jessie Custer. I'd rather see Matthew Mconeahahaya however it's spelled.

CROM1
02-14-03, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Battle chasers (then again, 15 minutes into the movie the director will forget what's going on and play FF7 all day)

I always wondered what happened to this comic...

tofu
02-14-03, 03:45 PM
Death ( I could totally see TIme of Your Life being made into a nice indie movie)
Bone
Infinity Gauntlet

Jackskeleton
02-14-03, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by steebo777

Considering Smith is horrorible with action scenes.. I would really hate to see half this movie while the other have would have great dialouge. :p

TheOne
02-14-03, 05:42 PM
How about:

Iron Fist
Shang Chi Master of Kung Fu
Nick Fury
Warrior Nun Areala
Lady Pendragon

calhoun07
02-14-03, 08:14 PM
While not exactly popular, I do think The Trigun Empire would make an awesome movie. The epic grandure of this series would be a good companion in the theaters to Lord of the Rings (not comparing the two stories at all, but just saying Trigun is epic in scale and should be seen in a movie).

Marvelman. Or "Miracle"man as he is commonly known in America.

David Boring would be my choice for the next Daniel Clowes work to be made into a motion picture.

MAUS, the animated movie.

Big Numbers, especially since Alan Moore can't seem to get this story done in graphic novel form, let's at least see the movie!

cultshock
02-14-03, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by majorjoe23
Both are early in the production phase(script polishing) Patrick Stewart has expressed interest in in playing Spider Jerusalem in Transmet(there's a photo of him posing as Spider somewhere on the net)

Garth Ennis is writing the Precher script with James (Cyclops) Marsden interested in playing Jessie Custer. I'd rather see Matthew Mconeahahaya however it's spelled.

Movies of these two would be great news, if done well (two of my favorite comics from the last several years).

John Constantine would be great, but Keanu Reeves??? WTF???

Someone mentioned Peter Bagge. I could see a really nice indie film done based on "Hate". (hey they did Ghost World).

Darkfriend
02-14-03, 10:38 PM
-Green Lantern would be cool

The Dark Knight Returns (with Clint Eastwood ??)

-The Fantastic Four

Krug
02-14-03, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by steebo777

Where Superman kills himself because Lois Lane talks too much?

bouncingsoul
02-14-03, 11:10 PM
i'd like to see an avengers movie; it would be pretty cool if they used the cg technology that was used in final fantasy: spirits within. that way you wouldn't spend so much of the movie wondering, "oh, that looks kinda realistic, i guess" or "geez that shot looked horrible" and concentrate more on the movie itself.

Gamblor187
02-15-03, 12:13 AM
Last thing I heard about a John Constantine movie, Keanu was still attached and the story has to do with a New York cop who investigates the paranormal. BOLLOCKS! (Is it any wonder why Alan Moore wants nothing to do with the movie adaptations of his creations?)

I don't think that "Kingdom" Come" could make a good movie because it's too fan-boyish. (And I mean that in a good way.) Movie-goers, in general, would not understand it.

"Watchmen" is impossible to adapt unless, as someone else already mentioned, you did it as a cable miniseries. I feel the same way about "The Dark Knight Returns" and "Sandman". (And "Sandman", in my opinion, could only be done justice if it were animated instead if live-action.) "From Hell" could have been done well this way, also. Instead, we got that horrible mess from the Hughes Brothers.

There was a "Bone" movie planned at one time by Disney. However, it fell apart (and I'm glad it did) because Disney allowed creator Jeff Smith to have major input and he nixed the idea of adding songs and making it more of a Disney film.

I doubt that "Maus" will ever be made since Art Spiegelman doesn't want it to be made.

"Transmetropolitan" could be made into a great film, but will probably be made into a very bad one.

"Box Office Poison" would make a fine, small film, but since only about a dozen or so people read it, this will never happen. The same goes for "Safe Area Gorazde".

Brian Michael Bendis is a popular writer now and several of his books have been optioned. ("Powers" seems to be a go at this time.) However, I haven't heard anything about "Torso", which I believe would be quite easy to adapt into a good film.

I don't think that Brain Azzarello's "100 Bullets" could be adapted very well due to the large scope of the conspiracy aspect. but the stand alone stories could adapt quite well.

"Whiteout" has potential (although I actually enjoyed the second "Whiteout" miniseries better than the first), but Reese Witherspoon is supposedly attached now, and that makes me nervous.

Neil Gaiman's "Violent Cases", Mr. Punch", and "Signal To Noise" would make a great trilogy of short films.

"Madman" was supposed to be made by Robert Rodriguez, but it looks to be on indefinite hold. This is fine by me because I think that "Madman" can only really work as a comic book.

"X-Statix" would make a fine counterpoint to the "X-Men" movies, but will just upset more fanboys than it already has, while alienating any fans of the "X-Men" films at the same time.

And perhaps some day it will be possible for someone to make a "Daredevil" movie that's actually good.

jim

ClarkKentKY
02-15-03, 12:28 AM
Kingdom come would be too hard to pull off. And i don't think a mainstream audience would enjoy it.

I'd love to see an attempt at a Justice League Movie once they get the Batman and Superman Franchises up and rolling. But i doubt they can do it.

But i think its about time Fantastic Four got some props. It could make a great movie if done like spiderman/hulk.

RyoHazuki
02-15-03, 12:41 AM
Fantastic Four and JLA have been made into movies. I've seen them both and they are terrible.

ClarkKentKY
02-15-03, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Fantastic Four and JLA have been made into movies. I've seen them both and they are terrible.

Not THOSE...

Mutley Hyde
02-15-03, 02:06 AM
John Constantine as a yankee? Uhhhh...

dknight04
02-15-03, 10:27 AM
GREEN LANTERN
STATIC SHOCK
IRON MAN

DonnachaOne
02-15-03, 11:49 AM
http://angrynakedpat.com/onlineComics/anw/images/anw0043.jpg

The subject of a Hollywood bastardization of a MAUS film is the subject of this arc of "Angry Naked World" (Read the line here) (http://angrynakedcomics.com).

Understand that the short character there was bitten by a radioactive Tobey Maguire, and now believes he is him...

cupcake jesus
02-15-03, 01:43 PM
Frank Miller's Sin City

IIG
02-15-03, 04:52 PM
There is no series better than Ghost Rider, IMO. I would give anything for a decent GR film, whether it be the original Ghostie (John Blaze) or Ghost Rider II (Dan Ketch). Last I heard, David Goyer's dark R-rated script was rejected. :(

A Nightstalkers movie would be nice too, instead of a Blade 3. For those that don't know, Blade originally served as a member of the campire and occult hunting gang, the Nightstalkers, which consisted of: Blade, Hannibal King, and Frank Drake. It had tie-ins with Ghost Rider, Dr. Strange, Morbius, Mephisto, and several other notable characters that would make for movie magic.

calhoun07
02-15-03, 09:08 PM
Steve Ditko's Question and Mister A.

cleaver
02-15-03, 09:37 PM
Harbinger

Darren Garrison
02-15-03, 10:09 PM
I remember this comic I used to read called Star Wars. Somebody should make a move about that.

Hokeyboy
02-15-03, 11:33 PM
HARBINGER?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

God yer taking me back. How about the Ultraverse... or Plasm?!?! :)

mookiemeister
02-16-03, 12:22 AM
Wonder Woman

cactusoly
02-16-03, 12:57 AM
I think Hollywood should slow down on the superhero films for a while. Its becoming overkill and the movie going public will get burned out really fast. As a result some potentually cool movies will bomb and will kill the genre all together.

ChrisKnudsen
02-16-03, 01:30 AM
Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Boy in the World (animated)

zero
02-16-03, 02:42 AM
http://www.ianwhetstone.com/fin/wcghostrider.jpg
Ghost Rider

This movie has been talked about for years, and I would love to see it done, WITHOUT Nic Cage. If done I'd like to see them do Danny Ketch and not John Blaze. I know Johnny Blaze started out as the orignal Ghost Rider, but using Dan Ketch would make for a better story.

paradicelost
02-16-03, 11:20 AM
Okay here goes.
A TOUCH OF SILVER
THE TENTH(IS THAT EVEN AROUND ANYMORE)
decent SPAWN film
GEN-13(AGAIN a decent film)first miniseries
DV8
IRONMAN
SPECTRE
DARKCHYLDE

Numskull
02-17-03, 07:48 PM
What about that Cerebus movie that never materialized?

Thank God. Cerebus creator Dave Sim's use of space on the printed page, and his brilliant word balloons, just couldn't be adapted for the big screen, and neither could the sheer scope of the Cerebus storyline.

Someone mentioned the Neil Gaiman/Dave McKean graphic novels Mr. Punch, Signal to Noise, and Violent Cases. I'd like to see those, too (especially Mr. Punch).

I'd also like to see a From Hell movie that actually sticks to the graphic novel and doesn't have a wildly inaccurate ending, unlike that abomination that the Hughes Brothers came up with.

And, last but not least, an animated Tug & Buster movie (or TV series) would be great. It is one of the great tragedies of comic book history that this hysterically funny series only lasted seven issues. The short stuff in Marc Hempel's Naked Brain doesn't cut it.

But, actually...I'll just be happy if they stop making Marvel movies.

duz
02-17-03, 09:04 PM
No love for Brian Michael Bendis' Powers? Thats in the script stage, here's to hope.
Y The Last Man might be good once there are some more issues done.

sinister
02-17-03, 10:36 PM
Dr. Strange with johnny depp. watch the ninth gate and find out why depp looks just like dr. strange.

Ghost Rider
Iron Man
Black Panther
Captain America
FF
Thor- wont probably ever happen. Avi Arad says that film will cost over $200 million to make. his vision anyway which i agree with.

Zodiac_Speaking
02-18-03, 02:19 PM
Black Panther
Swamp Thing-in the vein of House of Secrets 92
THOR!

Milt Fargus
02-18-03, 02:41 PM
http://www.viewaskew.com/chasingamy/images/artwork/comic/idio.gif

:D

Jason
02-18-03, 07:30 PM
Whatever superhero movies are made, I hope they realize we don't need to see long, drawn out origin stories over and over again. X-Men did a great job of filling in back story without going through each character's past, and a superhero's origin should be a small part of the overall story. For characters like Superman, there is absolutely no reason in the world to go through it all again. The 1978 movie did a great job of covering it, and there's a freakin' TV show about it on.

That said, I would like to see the following:

Captain America - WWII period piece.

All Star Squadron/Justice Society of America - WWII period piece.

X-Men - 1960's period piece with the original five in yellow and black tights.

X-Men - Dark Phoenix Saga with Shi'ar, Starjammers, Imperial Guard, the works.

Ghost Rider - wasn't the biggest fan of the book, but it would make a very cool movie.

Fantastic Four - Galactus storyline

Ried Fleming - I heard long ago about Jim Belushi being associated with this, but I guess nothing ever came of it.

zero
02-19-03, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Jason
Whatever superhero movies are made, I hope they realize we don't need to see long, drawn out origin stories over and over again. X-Men did a great job of filling in back story without going through each character's past, and a superhero's origin should be a small part of the overall story. For characters like Superman, there is absolutely no reason in the world to go through it all again. The 1978 movie did a great job of covering it, and there's a freakin' TV show about it on.

X-Men - 1960's period piece with the original five in yellow and black tights.

X-Men - Dark Phoenix Saga with Shi'ar, Starjammers, Imperial Guard, the works.

Speaking as a fan myself, I think your expecting too much. If you recall in X-Men they already flashed back to the 60's when they showed Cyclops blasting the projectiles Jean was throwing at him. Going into the past after we're brought up to speed would be confusing to people who only know the X-Men from the film, and not the comic book. Yeah I know this is lame for all of us who have grown up with the comic, and would love to see their older stories brought to life on film, but you shun a lot of other viewers by making it a "fan only" thing. The Dark Pheonix saga could not be done. it's simply too much to fit into 2 hours. It would be better as a mini-series, but not for a movie.

Shilex
02-19-03, 01:28 AM
Even though it's basically a Hulk ripoff, I'd like to see a P.I.T.T. movie (not sure how long that comic lasted, stopped collecting in like 1994).

The Sabretooth series was also pretty good. (hopefully without that crappy guy who played him in the X-Men movie).

Venom was also a bad guy I liked. He'd make a good villain. (and how come there are no bad guy comic book movies)

I'd also like to see a movie made out of the graphic novel The Killing Joke, where we get to see a different side of the Joker origin.

Since some people were bringing up some old Valiant comics, how bout Bloodshot and Solar (or maybe not so much)

I'd also like to see a SHI movie (but only because it's my last name)

DVDho78DTS
02-19-03, 08:23 AM
I have never read comics consistently, but I have always liked the Green Lantern. Comics2Film.com reports that the Green Lantern & Sandman are in development by WB. http://www.comics2film.com/ProjectFrame.php?f_id=116

Iron_Giant
02-19-03, 12:28 PM
GL
Teen Titans
Warlord (DC Comics)

paradicelost
02-19-03, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Shilex
Even though it's basically a Hulk ripoff, I'd like to see a P.I.T.T. movie (not sure how long that comic lasted, stopped collecting in like 1994).

I liked Pitt too but it took them a year to come out with 4 comics. It kinda killed it.

[i]
I'd also like to see a movie made out of the graphic novel The Killing Joke, where we get to see a different side of the Joker origin.

[/B]

One of my favorite graphinc novels of all time. Great story. It would make an excellent flick.

Calistoga
02-19-03, 07:53 PM
OMG...I forgot about Ghost Rider!! That would be so cool....

El-Kabong
02-20-03, 02:16 AM
No, no no - I dont believe that you guys havent mentioned this yet:

http://pantransit.reptiles.org/images/1998-01-19/groo-end.jpg

El-Kabong
02-20-03, 02:17 AM
No, no no - I dont believe that you guys haven't mentioned this yet:

electrolite
02-20-03, 03:12 AM
V for Vendetta

and

The Inhumans

Jazzbutcher
02-20-03, 08:05 AM
Another plug for

Reid Fleming, World's Toughest Milkman

and

Ghost Rider

Gamblor187
02-20-03, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by electrolite
V for Vendetta

Wasn't there talk of the Wachowski brothers making this film...perhaps after the Matriz sequels?

Or perhaps it was the Hughes brothers, seemingly not satisfied with just butchering "From Hell"?

jim

xmiyux
02-20-03, 03:51 PM
I'd be stoked to see the one for Preacher as well as Powers. I also would love to see a standalone Catwoman movie - especially with this new iteration of her. If i got to decide i'd go with a movie version of Selina's Big Score.

DarthMaul420
02-21-03, 12:27 AM
Do Captain America Justice!

Also get some more Tales from the Crypt movies made.

darkflounder
02-21-03, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by El-Kabong
No, no no - I dont believe that you guys haven't mentioned this yet:

A Groo movie would rock! But it would have to be animated by Sergio, and just how do you fit mulch jokes into a movie?

I haven't read Groo in many many years. Might have to see if they've reprinted issues in a TP.

darkflounder
02-21-03, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by Krug
Where Superman kills himself because Lois Lane talks too much?

37! I'm 37???

Superman working the Quick Mart. Batman over at RST Video. Lex Luthor and Silent Bizarro Superman selling dope. Lois Lane makes lasagna for Superman while Lana Lang does it with a dead Aquaman in the bathroom.

OW! MY BRAIN HURTS!!

randy1320
02-21-03, 10:32 AM
How about Moon Knight?
Or the Avengers, but it would be tricky 'cause it's hard keep Captain America's costume from looking cheesy. I heard Iron Man is in production, but he could also be part of an Avengers movie.
Hawkeye was always a favorite Avenger of mine as well.
I'd like them to keep going with X-Men and add characters like Archangel and Beast.
One of my favorite things about comics was seeing how superheroes interacted with each other when they teamed up or were in conflict. I know it would never happen but I'd love to see Spider-Man (Toby Maguire) and Dardevil (Affleck) in the same movie. Spidey and DD were always good freinds and a great team in the comics.

Professor Frink
02-21-03, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by darkflounder
Superman working the Quick Mart. Batman over at RST Video. Lex Luthor and Silent Bizarro Superman selling dope. Lois Lane makes lasagna for Superman while Lana Lang does it with a dead Aquaman in the bathroom.

A similar movie has already been made. It's called Heroes (http://www.powerhouseanimation.com/heroes.html).
:D

cooper2000
02-21-03, 01:27 PM
I want a JLA movie!!
Sandman?