why are credits at the end of new movies? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

DVD Reviews

View Full Version : why are credits at the end of new movies?

WiccanPagan
02-13-03, 05:16 PM
i recently watched singin' in the rain and gone with the wind (damn the flipper i was watching side 2 for a while without even knowing) and noticed the credits were in the begining, before the film ever starts. i have seen it before and mainly on older films. my question is why did they (don't even know who they is in this case) move them to the end of the film? it seems much more respectful to the people involved with the film that the credits be in the begining as people would not have the option of getting up and leaving unless they wanted to miss the film. am i the only one who feels this way?

PixyJunket
02-13-03, 05:19 PM
The credit roll for modern movies are typically 10 minutes long. That's a wonderful way to start a movie.

WiccanPagan
02-13-03, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by pixyboi
The credit roll for modern movies are typically 10 minutes long. That's a wonderful way to start a movie. hmm, good point. guess it wouldn't be respectful to shorten people off the credit either, huh? :)

Pants
02-13-03, 05:26 PM
The credits on old films were much shorter (2 minutes tops) because during the days of the studio system they only listed the studio dept. heads. Today films are made differently, and every single person gets named. This takes a lot longer. Many films today still have the MAJOR credits at the beginning.

raKim
02-13-03, 05:45 PM
Man on the Moon was different in that respect -ohbfrank-

sherm42
02-13-03, 05:48 PM
Damn unions and guilds.

j/k

marty888
02-13-03, 08:55 PM
Don't get me started on credits ... now EVERYONE wants to get a credit, whether or not they are actually involved in filmmaking. Do we need to know who fed the cast, who picked them up and drove them to the studio, who cooked the books, who insured the roduction, etc. etc.
Imagine if say, restaurants did the same thing ... on the back of the menu we could get little items like "garbage removal by ..." and "roach control provided by..."

clemente
02-13-03, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by marty888
Don't get me started on credits ... now EVERYONE wants to get a credit, whether or not they are actually involved in filmmaking. Do we need to know who fed the cast, who picked them up and drove them to the studio, who cooked the books, who insured the roduction, etc. etc.
Imagine if say, restaurants did the same thing ... on the back of the menu we could get little items like "garbage removal by ..." and "roach control provided by..."

And that's why people get up and leave the theater at that point.

But then the purist get really upset and say, "I'm a real film lover, I always stay and watch the credits, out of respect for those that worked on it."

And then someone comes in and calls us all Joe Six Packs.

Jay G.
02-14-03, 06:38 AM
Back in the old days, during the studio system, most workers were under contract with the studio, and had steady jobs as they were shuffled from film to film.

Nowadays, each crew member has to go through the hiring process for every film they work on, so they need a resume showing what other work they've done. Giving them a credit on the film is an easy way to provide a reference, instead of having a thousand people calling up the producer about a crew member they might not even remember.

majorjoe23
02-14-03, 12:22 PM
I remember a few years ago Andy Rooney complained about how long credits were at the end of movies. He then pointed out that when he was a kid, credits were at the beginning, and that this was better. So he's complaining about their length, and yet he would like to be forced to sit through them to see the movie. He then suggested handing out booklets at ever theater with the names of everyone who worked on the movie in them.

So instead of just leaving when the credits roll, he would prefer that we cut down hundreds of trees. The man is a moron.

greatjedi
02-14-03, 01:40 PM
If the credits were still at the beginning of movies, the opening crawl of Star Wars would have been really long.

greatjedi
02-14-03, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by majorjoe23
I remember a few years ago Andy Rooney complained about how long credits were at the end of movies. He then pointed out that when he was a kid, credits were at the beginning, and that this was better. So he's complaining about their length, and yet he would like to be forced to sit through them to see the movie. He then suggested handing out booklets at ever theater with the names of everyone who worked on the movie in them.

So instead of just leaving when the credits roll, he would prefer that we cut down hundreds of trees. The man is a moron.
Maybe we could just download the credits to our handheld PCs in the future.;)

Fok
02-16-03, 02:33 PM
Have you watched the end credits for LOTR? man they are looooooong.

Rypro 525
02-16-03, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Fok
Have you watched the end credits for LOTR? man they are looooooong. Just for the dc, since they had to list all the people who are a part of the fan club.

Hokeyboy
02-16-03, 02:56 PM
I remember as a kid thinking the opening credits to Superman: The Movie ran longer than the director's cut of Greed...

I was a precocious child. A prick, but a precocious child...

greatjedi
02-16-03, 04:15 PM
The credits are long so they can promote the soundtrack with music from the film. ;)

Danny_boy
02-16-03, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by clemente
...And then someone comes in and calls us all Joe Six Packs.

You guys are all a bunch of Joe Six Packs!

shaun3000
02-16-03, 09:47 PM
Also, in older movies with credits at the beginning, they often showed news reels, cartoons, etc, before the movie started. People were walking in and out, not jsut sitting there. Credits at the beginning gave the stragglers a few extra minutes to get situated. Kind of like the overture in stage shows.

Avid
02-16-03, 10:27 PM
Not everyone who works on a movie gets a credit. Dayplayers, interns, and other people are left off quite often. Sometimes a department only gets a certain number of credit lines so a person that worked the entire shoot can be left off. It is common (and cruel) to promise people trying to work on their first film a credit to work long, long hours for free and then they don't get one.

My friend worked for over a year on the highest grossing film ever made and didn't get a credit. He is still pissed off.

pdinosaur
02-16-03, 11:35 PM
and if you don't show ANY credits in the front, you must pay fines. right george lucas?

greatjedi
02-17-03, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by pdinosaur
and if you don't show ANY credits in the front, you must pay fines. right george lucas?
Yeah. That was so stupid. Forget artistic integrity, you must follow the rules. -ohbfrank-

jarofclay73
02-17-03, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by pdinosaur

Well, actually, if you're in the Director's Guild then you must have credits before the movie. That's why Lucas isn't with the director's guild.

I'm sure there are a bunch of directors who never applied to the director's guild for this very reason.

conscience
02-17-03, 06:17 PM
I always want to know who the <b>Best Boy</b> was.

So back off, alright.

;)

JeffTheAlpaca
07-20-15, 06:36 PM
I think the proper question in 2015 is what is the rare movie that has opening credits in the beginning of the movie?

Now the big opening credit scene is left at the end of the movie followed by the closing credits.

Kind of sucks for animation since sometimes you want to know the names of some of the voice actors but you have to wait until the end of the movie.

fujishig
07-20-15, 06:43 PM
hmm, good point. guess it wouldn't be respectful to shorten people off the credit either, huh? :)

What I find odd is that I'm sure television stations are forced to air the credits in their entirety when they show a movie, but they seem to be able to shrink them to an unreadable size and fast forward through them, so what the point?

Also, I always think they should have some kind of message near the beginning of the credits saying whether there's an extra scene at the end, because otherwise I'm the jerk who has to look at his cell phone in the dark during the credits to see if it's worth it to sit there.

fumanstan
07-20-15, 06:47 PM
12 year bump, impressive.

RocShemp
07-20-15, 07:09 PM
The last movie I recall with the credits all at the begining was Francis Ford Copolla's Youth Without Youth.

Ash Ketchum
07-20-15, 07:11 PM
When William Friedkin offered Bernard Herrmann the opportunity to score THE EXORCIST, he ran the final edit, sans music, for Ol' Bernie, who got up at the end and turned down the job, saying to Friedkin, "Only one great movie had its credits at the end--CITIZEN KANE!," which, of course, Bernie had scored.

Obi-Wan Jabroni
07-20-15, 07:21 PM
Also, I always think they should have some kind of message near the beginning of the credits saying whether there's an extra scene at the end, because otherwise I'm the jerk who has to look at his cell phone in the dark during the credits to see if it's worth it to sit there.

You could do that, you know, before the movie.

EctoCooler
07-20-15, 07:24 PM
Because back in the day movies didn't require that they list the catering company, assistant to the dolly grip assistant and any personal messages the filmmakers may wish to add for their loved ones to pick out.

RocShemp
07-20-15, 07:26 PM
I still don't get why caterers, personal assistants, or personal drivers get listed.

Alan Smithee
07-20-15, 08:57 PM
Kind of sucks for animation since sometimes you want to know the names of some of the voice actors but you have to wait until the end of the movie.

I've heard they sometimes do that because they don't want people thinking of the animated characters as the actor who's voicing them- of course putting them at the end just keeps you guessing longer.

Ever since I first saw Star Wars in 1977, I've never understood why people are in such a hurry to leave a theater. If you liked the movie and if the theater is doing its job (good presentation quality and comfortable seating), leaving should be the LAST thing on your mind. Most of the time, end credits are a good way to 'decompress' after a movie and you never know when there will be something extra at the end (and when there is I want it to be a surprise, not hear about it beforehand.) I always thought if I made a movie, I'd have some end credits and maybe even a few minutes of black screen with music, THEN have about an hour or so of scenes that wrapped up the movie properly! (I remember working as a projectionist, sometimes I'd even see idiots walking out during the ending shot before the end credits even started rolling!)

If they put all the credits at the beginning of a movie, more people would likely come into theaters even later, and at home they would fast-forward them (which makes a good case for the ability to lock out player controls!)

Norm de Plume
07-20-15, 10:19 PM
I hate that so many movies now open without so much as a fucking title, let alone production credits. Irritating.

dugan
07-20-15, 10:30 PM
It's not a movie, but the longest end-credits sequence I ever sat through was for one of the Batman games (either Arkham Asylum or Arkham City). It was 60 minutes long.

Solid Snake
07-20-15, 10:38 PM
City's was about 14 mins. long. Jesus... went slow as hell.

dhmac
07-20-15, 10:53 PM
This thread got a 12 year time bump (!)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/im_5QdHp04E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's long past the time to roll the end credits on this thread.

Alan Smithee
07-20-15, 11:24 PM
I forgot about video games, as I was a video game nut in the 80s but lost interest in them by 2000- it's VERY funny that many games actually have an end-credits sequence as a reward for when you beat the game, and I assume people watch those attentively, but when they roll in a movie the audience bolts for the exits! (Personally I never liked games that ended at all, I liked it when they just kept starting over and getting harder and faster. Some people went for literally days on end on some of the old classics.)

whotony
07-20-15, 11:39 PM
What I find odd is that I'm sure television stations are forced to air the credits in their entirety when they show a movie, but they seem to be able to shrink them to an unreadable size and fast forward through them, so what the point?

http://runpee.com/

This app runs black and tells you when to pee and if there is anything during or afterthe credits.

mndtrp
07-21-15, 11:22 AM
I don't typically care about the credits. I'll sometimes sit through them to see if there's anything interesting, or just to wait for a theater to clear out. At home, once the movie is over, I fast forward to the end in case there's something after the credits. I'm glad that everyone involved with a movie gets their moment, but I don't need to see it.

kgrogers1979
07-21-15, 11:35 AM
I forgot about video games, as I was a video game nut in the 80s but lost interest in them by 2000- it's VERY funny that many games actually have an end-credits sequence as a reward for when you beat the game, and I assume people watch those attentively, but when they roll in a movie the audience bolts for the exits!

There are very few video games that have a post-credit sequence. Post-credit sequences are much more prevalent in movies than in games. I also very much doubt that most people sit through the credits in video games like you assume.

In fact, the recent Arkham Knight video game is controversial for requiring the player to get 100% completion to get the "true" ending of the game. Many players didn't even bother getting 100% completion, and instead they just watched the ending on youtube.

EddieMoney
07-21-15, 12:09 PM
i recently watched singin' in the rain and gone with the wind (damn the flipper i was watching side 2 for a while without even knowing) and noticed the credits were in the begining, before the film ever starts. i have seen it before and mainly on older films. my question is why did they (don't even know who they is in this case) move them to the end of the film? it seems much more respectful to the people involved with the film that the credits be in the begining as people would not have the option of getting up and leaving unless they wanted to miss the film. am i the only one who feels this way?

You were watching the second half of the movie and didn't realize? How? Is there a chance you can return from your 12 year absence and explain?

fujishig
07-21-15, 12:19 PM
Ever since I first saw Star Wars in 1977, I've never understood why people are in such a hurry to leave a theater. If you liked the movie and if the theater is doing its job (good presentation quality and comfortable seating), leaving should be the LAST thing on your mind. Most of the time, end credits are a good way to 'decompress' after a movie and you never know when there will be something extra at the end (and when there is I want it to be a surprise, not hear about it beforehand.) I always thought if I made a movie, I'd have some end credits and maybe even a few minutes of black screen with music, THEN have about an hour or so of scenes that wrapped up the movie properly! (I remember working as a projectionist, sometimes I'd even see idiots walking out during the ending shot before the end credits even started rolling!)

Great, now we have someone who wants the credits in the middle of the movie... :)

Jay G.
07-21-15, 12:20 PM
You were watching the second half of the movie and didn't realize? How? Is there a chance you can return from your 12 year absence and explain?
Considering he wasn't immediately aware that the credits for that film was at the front, he probably thought the movie was starting in medias res, and that certain details would be explained via flashbacks, etc.

The original Gone with the Wind DVD was a "flipper," meaning half the movie was on one side, the other half on the other, and it was split at the original intermission point. So the DVD starts the 2nd half like a film starting up after an intermission, which can look similar to how the beginning of a movie can start.
http://www.filmsondisc.com/dvdpages/gonewiththewind.htm

I don't have experience with that particular DVD, but it sounds like either side 2 starts playing the rest of the film automatically, or the menu on side 2 doesn't clearly indicate it's the 2nd half.

Timber
07-21-15, 12:43 PM
When they start listing "Mr. Downey's wardrobe provided by..." They've gone way to far.

kgrogers1979
07-21-15, 12:59 PM
Considering he wasn't immediately aware that the credits for that film was at the front, he probably thought the movie was starting in medias res, and that certain details would be explained via flashbacks, etc.

The original Gone with the Wind DVD was a "flipper," meaning half the movie was on one side, the other half on the other, and it was split at the original intermission point. So the DVD starts the 2nd half like a film starting up after an intermission, which can look similar to how the beginning of a movie can start.
http://www.filmsondisc.com/dvdpages/gonewiththewind.htm

I don't have experience with that particular DVD, but it sounds like either side 2 starts playing the rest of the film automatically, or the menu on side 2 doesn't clearly indicate it's the 2nd half.

I had a similar experience with my first flipper DVD. I believe it was Goodfellas, but I am not 100% sure. It was the first time I had ever seen a flipper where half the movie is on one side and the other half on the other side. I had never seen the movie before, and I accidentally started it on the side with the second half of the movie. I felt very confused watching it, but I figured it was in media res like you mentioned. However, I was still left with a lot of confusion by the end of the movie because it felt like I was missing something. Yes, I was missing something. I missed half the damn movie. :lol: I rewatched it properly later on, and I enjoyed it much better the second time.

inri222
07-21-15, 01:20 PM
They are at the end because of the short attentions span of the average viewer.

kgrogers1979
07-21-15, 03:24 PM

Not really. I have a good attention span, but even I get bored as hell watching credits scroll for ten minutes. Credits aren't so bad when they have something extra like a blooper reel or whatever, but just watching plain text scroll for ten minutes is as exciting as watching paint dry. The reason credits are at the end is because they are so much longer nowadays. Nobody should be forced to sit through a ten minute credit scroll before the movie starts.

Drexl
07-21-15, 06:25 PM
I forgot about video games, as I was a video game nut in the 80s but lost interest in them by 2000- it's VERY funny that many games actually have an end-credits sequence as a reward for when you beat the game, and I assume people watch those attentively, but when they roll in a movie the audience bolts for the exits! (Personally I never liked games that ended at all, I liked it when they just kept starting over and getting harder and faster. Some people went for literally days on end on some of the old classics.)

I wouldn't say that I watch them attentively. I tend to just skip them, but some games won't let you do that. I don't want to just turn off the machine, because I want to be sure that my save file will record that I reached the end (for new game + or some other post-story reason). Sometimes an achievement may not get triggered until the credits are over.

Regarding video games, one of the ridiculous things is that some of them even outdo IMDB by listing not only the people that developed the game and were involved in the production and marketing of the US version, but also those that were involved internationally - even including the actors for the dubs in several different languages. When I finish an Assassin's Creed game, I get up and do something else when the credits start.

Count Dooku
07-21-15, 09:23 PM
They should run the credits on a ticker at the bottom of the screen throughout the whole movie.

Draven
07-21-15, 09:37 PM

They are at the end so I can leave because I don't get two shits who ran craft services or answered the phones at the effects house.

Alan Smithee
07-21-15, 11:29 PM
So if you decide you don't give two shits about what happens to the characters, do you leave early then too? I've been out of the gaming loop for a while so I didn't realize many people in fact don't watch the end credits that are shown only when you beat the game- I remember seeing a few of those on the NES and Sega Genesis and paid attention to them because they were the "reward" you got for getting so far in the game. Games being a different medium than films, they could put all the credits in the instruction manual- people who do want to look the names up aren't always going to be able to do so just by putting the game on and beating it.

Great, now we have someone who wants the credits in the middle of the movie...

That would be to purposely separate the serious movie watchers from everyone else- if anyone's so gung-ho to leave the theater or stop watching the movie, then they can just miss the real ending for not being patient. Besides seeing FAR too many movies that had post-credits scenes or anything fun hidden in the credits, I've also watched movies I've really liked to the end just hoping for any possibility that it might not really be over! (Just remembered Napoleon Dynamite does have a rather long scene after all the credits- I wouldn't call that a great movie but it's a great example that credits do NOT mean the movie is completely over!)

Of course it might also be fun to make a movie where people agree not to have their names listed in the credits, so you could start rolling credits only to just have them cut off abruptly, then maybe have someone come on camera saying "Fuck you, the movie's over, now get the fuck out!"

davidh777
07-22-15, 09:45 AM
Ever since I first saw Star Wars in 1977, I've never understood why people are in such a hurry to leave a theater.

This kind of puzzles me as well. Credits roll, and people bolt out of their seats. I've always watched the credits out of respect but also for three pieces of information: Cast, locations, and music. Granted, I could get this all online these days, but I stay through the credits. And then I laugh at the people who left and miss the extra scene.

At home, though, I fast-forward to the information I want, or sometimes skip them altogether.

Worse than leaving during the movie credits is people who leave live stage shows during the curtain call. That's just rude.

I find this annoying.

I don't mind people reading their phones during the credits, as I usually expect them to leave and this is better than that. Sometimes, though, they stand up to read their phones right in front of me when I'm watching the credits.