Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Need a Guide book to New York

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a Guide book to New York

I will be planning a trip to New York around April end of this year and would like to plan a few things, but first of all I need a good guide book.
Anyone can recomend me one very helpful for foreign tourist who might be there for 1 week.
Old 02-13-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife and I went to New York last year for our anniversary. We bought this book and used it for planning our itinerary. It breaks the city down into sections, which makes it much easier to digest. It also spotlights what to see in each area, as well as provides self-guided walking tours.
Old 02-15-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The National Geographic is all right, but my wife and I swear by the Eyewitness Guide. It's a little pricier, but it's an incredible book - lots of street by street, building by building guides, walks, history, cross-sections, photographs, etc.
We've taken 5 or 6 trips to New York, and it's been the constant.
Other guide discoveries:
Avoid Let's Go - not just to NYC, but to anywhere. Populist drivel that ensures you'll spend your trip with travelling on the poor university students (And this advice goes for university students too).
The Rough Guides are a much better option for this type of budget travel, as are the Lonely Planet guides (although these have a bit more rounded of an approach).
The Nat Geo guides are good, the Eyewitness are great. The Frommers, Frodors, etc are all right, but not worth the price. Good for a library look, though.
Old 02-22-03, 01:54 PM

I second the Eyewitness Guide to New York. The cross-sections and building layouts are a great help. The guides are a lot fun just to browse through...
Old 02-24-03, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My local bookstore had just the Lonely Planet book available,so had to choose that one.Thanks for the help!
Old 03-25-03, 11:51 AM
Cool New Member

You probably already know this but...

Make sure you check out the Strand. It's this great bookstore with miles and miles of books, and most are used/cheap/reviewers copies.

It's at hmmm...right below Union Square, approximately 13th st and broadway (if you ask someone down there, they'll definately find it.)

It's been a while since I've been there, but I think that's the right address (ok, I admit it, I'm really from New Jersey).
Old 03-25-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What days of the week are you coming in, I can provide some great Dinner, Lunch and Brunch places. Also what your price range is for each.