Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Top Ten Video Games Ever...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Top Ten Video Games Ever...

I know, I know...this topic has undoubtedly been beat to death on a forum like this. I'm kind of new here, and this is my first original thread, so go easy on me. My choices here, however, will be strongly supported and defended if need be. Let's get started...

(A few disclaimers...I hate fighting games like Tekken and the horrendous Primal Rage. Having difficulty catagorizing these two game titles in the same class? I don't. In general, I hate fighting games, due to the fact that they are repetetetetetive and most have a single 'killer combo' which can be used over and over to win the game. Even when the game contains characters that I love, such as the Marvel vs Capcom series, the novelty fades rather quickly. I value what I call replayability, which these games lack.

Also, I'm not a big fan of sports games, (Tecmo Bowl and Arch Rivals excluded) due to the fact that ever-changing rosters date the games terribly. I'm more of a college sports fan, and the absence of names, minimal basis in the reality of player's talent and the WORST correlation with depth charts make me abhor these titles. It seems to me that Madden purposely commits these glaring 'oversights' in order to have the unwitting consumer buy the 'revised' copy, complete with new errors, the following year.)

System: Atari 2600
Game Title: Jungle Hunt.
Why it's here: Why not Pac-Man? Or Dodge 'Em? Keystone Kapers? How could you forget the never-ending annoyance of E.T.? All of the Atari games were pretty redundant, and I thought about Spider-Man, but Jungle Hunt had 4 'levels' before it repeated the sequence, and the levels didn't change simply by making a building taller, adding more bombs or multiple Green Goblins...(don't ask me how that's possible.) There was swinging vines, slicing crocodiles, dodging boulders and jumping that infernal tribal member. And at the end you saved the girl. Only to have her fall back into the primitive clutches of a pseudo-indian with a spear. It may not be the best game in the world, and that's why it's tenth. Also, I would be amiss if I didn't include a game from the original king of the video game world. And I like the idea of a bad ass guy swimming thirty feet below the surface of the water, holding his breath, and slaughtering a croc with a knife.

System: XBox
Game Title: Halo.
Why it's here: I dislike the XBox. In my humble opinion, it basically introduces yet another system into a market that has too many systems. And yet, this game gives me pause...Once thinking that Goldeneye was the best 3D fighting environment ever created, I now have a new favorite. It redefines the genre by allowing players to team up, play various scenarios and offers a slew of awesome weapons, of which none is truly superior. This game may give me a momentary pensive session of the determination of the XBox's value, but it's ninth because that brief respite is only momentary.

System: Nintendo Entertainment System
Game Title: Super Mario Bros.
Why it's here: No list could ever truly be complete without the definitive redefining video game. This put Nintendo on the map, and though I'm sure they would have gotten there eventually, Mario and Luigi jump-started it's way to the top. To my knowledge, it was the first game that 'fooled' the player into thinking they had beaten the main baddie so early. Only in time would we find that a minion of some sort had been posing as the evil one, and our princess was not here at all. The only reason it sits at number eight is due to the valor of the remaining games, absolutely no fault of this particular title itself.

System: Playstation
Game Title: Final Fantasy VII.
Why it's here: I actually like games in a series. I remember playing the original Final Fantasy for Nintendo. It sucked. I mean, every two steps you got into a brawl, and it was always against nine skeleton sailors who might change color, but they were able to perpetually cast a Paralyze spell on your entire party, thus making your demise a forty-five minute ordeal. Final Fantasy VII was a tremendous jump in gameplay, with awesome graphics, cool homages to the previous games and, all in all, it was just a lot more fun. A series that I used to loathe, suddenly became one of my favorites. I thought about putting a Resident Evil game around here somewhere, but then I remembered that I don't like waiting 20 seconds to walk through a door or climb five stairs.

Game Title: Grand Theft Auto III.
Why it's here: While Final Fantasy may have been a series turnaround, GTA III was an entirely different vision of the same game. Gone were the British citizenry of miniscule size and ever-present were the savage beatings of prostitutes with whom you'd just spent some 'quality time'. Stealing cars was much more fun when you could see the victim get forcefully ripped from his car...up close and personal-like. And then, you were able to choose your radio stations. How friggin' cool is that?!? "Take it to the Limit"...killer song. I've performed many drive-bys to this tune. This game was wonderous in it's simplicity: It brought out the criminal in everyone. It's sixth due to the fact that while it was ground-breaking, Vice City proved that it could have offered more...

Game Title: Metal Gear Solid.
Why it's here: Another revolutionary title. Solid Snake is the James Bond that everyone would rather be, and would be. He takes no guff from anyone, smokes on the job, and won't give up the fight. Captured, tortured...not even close to the end. That's one tough SOB. With the release of MGS, your average citizen could buy Platoon in a box. Unfortunately, it is number five on the list due to the excessively heavy moral aspect of the game. Nukes are bad. Got it. No need to drive the point home with one. Interestingly enough, this is, in my opinion, what ruined the game's sequal. Well, that and playing with some moron that was previously unnoticed, and remains unnoticable. Finding out how Otacon wet his pants over MechWarriors as a child (still does) wasn't all that exciting to me, either.

Game Title: The Legend of Zelda.
Why it's here: Undeniably one of the best RPGs of all time. Perhaps even the first popular one. What worked with Mario Brothers worked with Link. A guy. A princess. She must be saved by defeating an evil monster, who, by the looks of him, has reason to be POed at life. Only this game was much more enjoyable. Items that made you Goliath, secret passageways, Castles appearing out of nowhere. And the castles! Every one had a different challenge, which had to be overcome with an item you had just received. Loved the Tricerotops. Finding the Death Mountain enterance was a chore and a half. Although it got weaker in future installments, this game was the template for almost every RPG to come. It's number four because of the replay value. Once you knew all the secrets, some of the mystique was lost. Check out homemade Zeldas online to recapture it.

System: Super Nintendo
Game Title: Super Mario Kart.
Why it's here: The definition of replayability, right here. This game NEVER GETS OLD. Once again, later installments paled in comparison...a sure sign of a classic. Unlocking 150cc...challenging, but not nearly as tough as beating special cup at that speed. With other players, I'd always be willing to have a Kart Tournament, which can last for hours. I'll play 100cc Mushroom Cup until the day I die. Additionally, when it comes to face-offs, there are multiple ways to compete. This game is, indeed, one of the greatest three games ever created. It lies at number three, however, because it is repetitive, which I do not like. Almost ironically, though, it is repetitive AND fun.

System: Sega Genesis
Game Title: X-Men 2: Clone Wars.
Why it's here: Quite simply, this is the greatest side scrolling adventure game ever made. A bold statement, but for those who have not played this, you cannot possible know. Admittedly, part of my affinity for this game must inherently lie in the fact that I adore the X-Men, but conversely this game embodied their comic book personas almost perfectly. This mission-oriented game captured everything I've ever wanted in a comic adventure. No game since, with the exception of Playstation's Spider-Man, has even come close to the satisfaction of playing this game. In my mind, they got it right. A pity it only happened once. I bought a Genesis for this game, and it's the only Sega game I still own. Yes. It's that good. However, it is second due to the fact that satisfaction, no matter how impressive, cannot be drawn a parallel with sheer pleasure.

Game Title: Crystalis.
Why it's here: The. Greatest. Game. Of. All. Time. If you have never played this game, shame on you! You are missing out! An RPG game, and yet it is unlike most RPGs. There are no 'partners' who travel with you, and precious few on whom you can depend. There is leveling up, items, hoardes of monsters, and breath-taking quests. The premise is that on...hmm.....October 13th, I believe, 1997, the world is engulfed in war. Much like Back to the Future, 2001: ASO, and all hack soothsayers will tell you, it is probably best not to pinpoint an exact time and place for predictions of the future. This inconsistency is the only flaw I can point out in the game, however, and it surely didn't stop me from playing it on that fateful day of nuclear annihilation from which mutants and monsters were spawned! The point of the game is to collect four swords (Earth, Wind, Fire, Water) and find someone who can meld them together into the most powerful weapon known, which is the...Crystalis Sword (!) which you will use to destroy a computer in a floating tower of Babel, who's incidentally trying to decimate the planet. Uh...er, I know the storyline sounds kind of lame, but trust me, this is the best game out there. It is challenging, but not insanely difficult and it is undoubtedly the most fun I have EVER had playing a video game. That is why it is the number one game on my list. Because it deserves to be.
Old 02-11-03, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top 5 for NES alone
1. Contra
2. Super Mario Brothers 1, 2, 3
3. Baseball Stars
4. Dragon Warrior
5. Legend of Zelda
Old 02-11-03, 09:45 AM

Ha, I was going to start this thread yesterday...

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
I'm not a big fan of RPGs, but this game was simply amazing. Compiling a tight story, a good battle scheme, and a terrific soundtrack, I would be amazed if there was another RPG out there that I even consider in the same league as this.

2. Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 (Import N64)
I'm a diehard wrestling fan, but am partial to the Japanese scene of the late 90s. This game is based on the WCW vs. nWo game engine, and features all my faves, the ability to create anyone from WWF/WCW/ECW, and more moves than No Mercy. Overall, the greatest wrestling game ever.

3. Halo (Xbox)
My favorite FPS. One of the few games that I can go back and play again and again, despite beating it on every difficulty level. I can't wait for Halo 2.

4. Castlevania Symphony of the Night (PS)
Awesome in every way. I remember selling it off in 1997, and regretting that for the next four years, until I just bit the bullet and bought it again (I have no idea what my problem was, as the game can be had for $30 on ebay).

5. Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2)
The game that forced me to beg my ex-girlfriend to buy me a PS2 for Hannukah (which she did, along with GTA3). This one game had it all... a great soundtrack, reckless driving, killing people indiscriminantly, and hookers. Damn, the more I love it, the more I'm disgusted with myself... heh.

6. Super Metroid (SNES)
It has all the stuff I loved about Castlevania Symphony of the Night, and it's Metroid. What an awesome combination.

7. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (DC)
Once again, I am not a big fan of the fighting gengre, but man, I love this friggin game. The ability to play as Juggernaut seals the deal. I must have played this game every day for 2 months straight trying to unlock everything.

8. Grand Theft Auto Vice City (PS2)
Not quite as good as GTA3, but still incredible. I wish it were a little longer, but fortunately, we get another awesome soundtrack, a better storyline than GTA3, and better weapons.

9. Final Fight (SNES)
I love beat-em-ups, and this one is the king of the genre. Although painfully short (I never played the other uncensored version with the extra levels), this game still kicks but. Note to any game developer, give me another game EXACTLY like this in 2D.

10. Saturday Night Slammasters (SNES)
Two Capcom games in arow, both featuring Mike Haggar. This was Capcom's wrestling game that played like a mix between Street Fighter and Wrestlemania. This game was totally fun, and I loved pairing up strange tag teams so I could win the tag belts.

-r
Old 02-11-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
What? No Tecmo Super Bowl for NES? Best. Game. Ever!
Old 02-11-03, 10:07 AM
Banned

1.GTA vice city-ps2

2.GTA 3-ps2

3.confidential mission-dreamcast

4.goldeneye-n64

5.sega genesis game i forget name i think there was 3 of them it was like final fight one where you would just walk around beating people up.cant think of name but it was an awesome game.oh yeah there were trash cans and if you punched them there would be a turkey under them that gave you health.

6.crazy taxi 2-dreamcast

7.super mario brothers 3-nes

8.tony hawk 4-ps2/i think its on gc or xbox also

9.wcw vs the world- i grew up with that game-ps1

10. twisted metal-ps1
Old 02-11-03, 10:14 AM

Mario64 - Why? Great fun, perfect control, and created the true 3d experience that is still trying to be copied today.
Old 02-11-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thread title should read "Top Ten Console Video Games Ever".

I can name 10 PC games that would put these lists to shame.
Old 02-11-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Trelach24
What? No Tecmo Super Bowl for NES? Best. Game. Ever!
Easily the best sports game ever. Even though I'm not a fan of football I would always look forward to playing this at my friend's house. Incredible.
Old 02-11-03, 10:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by edstein

Two different worlds. What I find interesting about this forum is that most people are pure console gamers, and that the few PC gamers only game on PC. There are even fewer "hybrid" gamers that play on both PC and console (like myself).
Old 02-11-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree 100%.
Old 02-11-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
1. Zelda LTP
2. Super Metroid
3. Final Fantasy VI
4. Secret of Mana
5. Zelda
6. Mario 2
7. Metroid Prime
8. Mario 64
9. Zelda Ocarina of Time
10. Bionic Commando
Old 02-11-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
um...all you pc gamers CAN participate if you want to. Or you can just stand there on the sidelines feeling superior to everyone. Some great PC games of my own

MOH:AA
Command and Conquer series
Sims
Sim City
Old 02-11-03, 10:45 AM

Of course... Most PC games are going to be superior to the console versions. The downside of that is that you need a $500-1000 machine to play it instead of a $200 console.

My top 10:

1. Halo (Xbox)
2. Final Fantasy (NES)
3. Dragon Warrior (NES)
4. Legend of Zelda (NES)
5. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past (SNES)
6. Alundra (PS1)
7. Super Mario Brothers 1,2,3 (NES)
8. Mortal Kombat (SNES)
9. Final Fantasy 2 (SNES)
10. Shinobi (PS2)
Old 02-11-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think that this is a very subjective question, to that extent I will not bother to make a list. I will however state that Mario 64, QB Club, Crusin USA, Mario Kart 64, San Francisco Rush and Mortal Cobat Trilogy on N64 brought myself and about five friends back into the world of video games.

For some reason, we all left video games after atari and NES. The N64 brought a focus on Graphics and multiplayer unlike PS1 and thus we were back on the video game bandwagon.

Therefore these are important games for me, but maybe only one ore two of them would make my all time list. Also, I would not like making this list because the PS2, XBox and GC games I am playing right now are awesome, but have yet to stand the test of time.
Old 02-11-03, 10:57 AM

No PC game can put Mario 64 to shame, sorry.
Old 02-11-03, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by edstein
Originally posted by Joshic
I agree 100%.
Originally posted by Groucho

There are even fewer "hybrid" gamers that play on both PC and console (like myself).

--------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by jeffdsmith

youre kidding me right?
Old 02-11-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Super Smash Brothers, Super Tecmo Bowl? where are they at?
Old 02-11-03, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
No PC platformer with that I'll agree. But there are several games in other genres that I enjoyed much more. But to compare them to Mario 64 would be an apples/oranges situation.
Old 02-11-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
What? No River City Ransom???? Whats wrong with you people!?!?!?

Old 02-11-03, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well.. this is always changing.. but here goes:

1. Dragon Warrior 4 (NES)
Best RPG Ever. The fact that there is no teen angst drama force fed to you every 3 minutes and written by 13 year old Japanese girls should be enough to at least nab a Best RPG Award, but this offers so much more to those who wish to actually use thier controllers when playing a video game. Yes Virginia, there was once a time where you actually got to DO something in an RPG.

2. Super Metroid (SNES)
One of the finest gaming expereices ever. It's not a first person shooter, it's not linear, and you're not bombarded with tons of stupid ****ing text telling how exactly what you need to do every 5 minutes.

3. Twinkle Star Sprites (Neo Geo/Sega Saturn/Dreamcast)
A versus shooting game. Genius. Pure genius. It's only above Radiant Silvergun because of the insane amounts of fun that will be had whrn you get people together to play (and drunk!). This is easily the one game most deserving of a sequel.

4. Radiant Silvergun (Arcade/Sega Saturn)
If the game developers of today could create a shooting game even HALF as good as this, we'd all very in a much better place.

5. Mr Driller Series (Arcade/Various)
Simply put the most fun and frantic puzzle/action game ever conceived. I could play this (and have) for hours and hours. Thank God I have my Game Boy Advance copy.

6. Pac-Man (Arcade/Everything)
Sorry I put you so low on the list.. I feel ashamed..

7. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
The funny thing about this game is that Squaresoft gets all the credit for this game when 90% of the reason it's so great is from the creators of Dragon Warrior. Take them out of the equation and create a sequel with all Squaresoft staff and VIOLA!! One steaming pile of Playstation **** known as Chrono Cross.

8. A Link to the Past (SNES)
Hey.. you don't spend half the game talking to people. Hopefully they will apply this to the new game.

9. Dragon Warrior (NES)
The one that started it all. Without this, there would be no Final Fantasy 20 or whatever the hell they're at now, there'd be no Xenosaga "I'm just another generic Anime RPG". Simply put, Yoji Horri and Akira Toriyama created a genre, and yet, the basis for which they created it has been erased from it's exsistance.

10. Super Mario Brothers 3 (NES)
They hit the peak here and have been on a nice downward spiral since. Mario 64? Yes let's PUNCH our enemies.. Sunshine.. it's the exact same game as Mario 64 except you have a watergun. And where the hell have the Koopa Kids gone?! They were awesome.
Old 02-11-03, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by Groucho

Two different worlds. What I find interesting about this forum is that most people are pure console gamers, and that the few PC gamers only game on PC. There are even fewer "hybrid" gamers that play on both PC and console (like myself).
I'm also a hybrid if that is what you want to call it, give me your top 10 pc games then. As a side note, when I hear "video game" I think console, if I want to describe a game I play on the computer then ity is "computer game".

Top Ten Computer Games
1. X-Com (Best Game ever!)
2. Civilization 1, 2, 3
3. Half Life/Counterstrike
4. Master of Orion
5. X-Wing/Tie Fighter
6. Warcraft 2
7. Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle
8. Indycar Papyrus Racing
9. Original Summer and Winter Games c64
10. Syndicate
Old 02-11-03, 12:52 PM

Beats me why people bother posing since this is so subjective it's not funny, some here weren't even born when some of these games were listed and no one will ever agree on any game.

It's also not 'I say this game should be here because...' , the games would have to be chosen on how they changed gaming, not on how many people like them, most of the games listed here weren't important in gaming, they just enjoyed a certain popularity except some titles like Mario 64 that introduced 3d to console, the original Mario that really started what gaming should be (no Atari crap)... etc...
Old 02-11-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My All Time Console Favorites:

(no particular order)

1. Track and Field - Atari 2600
2. Gran Turismo - PS1
3. Tony Hawk Pro Skater (series)- PS2
4. Super Mario - SNES
5. Sonic - Sega Genisis
6. Soul Calibur - Dreamcast
7. Halo - Xbox

Can't think of any more right now.
Old 02-11-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's also not 'I say this game should be here because...' , the games would have to be chosen on how they changed gaming, not on how many people like them, most of the games listed here weren't important in gaming, they just enjoyed a certain popularity except some titles like Mario 64 that introduced 3d to console, the original Mario that really started what gaming should be (no Atari crap)... etc...
I feel the same way. A "top ten games" list is bound to be super subjective. Most of the selections that people have listed are based on "fond memories." I think the only real way (if there even is one) to list a top ten games list, would be to base it on landmark games. i.e., games that revolutionized graphics, sound, gameplay. Or games that spawned a completely new genre of games based on that game's innovation.

In light of that, I would list some of the following (in no particular order):
Civilization (PC)
The Sims (PC)
Doom (PC)
Virtua Fighter (arcade)
Street Figher II (arcade)
Wing Commander (PC)
Warcraft (PC)
Mario 64 (N64)
Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2)
Final Fantasy 7 (PSX)
Diablo (PC)
Super Mario Brothers (NES)
Ultima Online (PC)

edit added Ultima Online & game platform tags

Last edited by Joshic; 02-11-03 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-11-03, 01:09 PM

If the term "Video Game" only applied to PC games, then the mods would be closing down every thread in this forum that deals with them.

"Console Games" are a subset of "Video Games". Other subsets would be "PC Games" and "Arcade Games". If the true intention of this thread were to focus on console games (and I don't know if it were or not), then that should have been specified from the get-go.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.