Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

So Close

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-03, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
So Close

When is the DVD planned? The VCD has been available for preorder for awhile now... I saw a trailer for it in US theaters months ago.
Old 02-11-03, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
March
Old 02-13-03, 03:31 PM

On an unrelated note...
Saw the VCD couple nights ago, it was horrible (well...at least the first 20 mins is, I turned it off after 20 mins). Bad effects, bad acting and fake-ish martial arts.
Old 02-13-03, 05:31 PM

The VCD has been available for a few weeks now. The DVD is due March 3rd, at least according to Sensasian.com.

It's a guilty pleasure type of movie. In other words, it's silly and over-the-top and yet vastly entertaining. There are some killer action scenes which you'd expect to see in a Corey Yuen flick, in particular a 3-way sword fight which, while completely outrageous, had me grinning ear to ear. The writing's atrocious, the story is absurd. But if you doubted its camp intentions, look no further than the lesbian subtext between...well, everyone (Shu Qi and Vicky Zhao, as sisters, have a hilariously perverse scene involving a bathtub and a towel).

Basically, if you liked Corey Yuen's last flick, The Transporter, you know what you're in for here. Fantastic action, absolute cheese. With the added Babe Factor.

Besides which, I'd watch Vicky Zhao in just about anything.
Old 02-13-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

nice... thanks Lokise.
Old 02-13-03, 07:37 PM

sounds a lot like NAKED WEAPON. How does it compare to NW?
Old 02-14-03, 12:33 AM

Now available

"So Close" DVD is available now at www.dvdasian.com.

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/14783.html
Old 02-14-03, 02:31 PM

it's odd that this movie is getting its first DVD release in Korea before Hong Kong! Isn't there supposed to be a US region 1 release of this movie too in the future since it's partially bankrolled by Columbia Tristar?
Old 02-15-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is also available at www.cd-wow.net on Feb 17th for under $19 shipped. Having the VCD (and knowing that a region 0 release will probably be a lot cheaper), I'm going to pass.

http://www6.cd-wow.net/detail_result...duct_code=4669
Old 02-15-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
There were plans for a So Close 2 before this movie debuted... at least according to the Columbia Films Asia... anyone know when Big Shot's Funeral will be out on DVD? I thought it was pretty hilarious.
Old 02-15-03, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by devilshalo
anyone know when Big Shot's Funeral will be out on DVD? I thought it was pretty hilarious.
April 15, 2003
The Region 3 version is available now at www.pokerindustries.com
Old 02-16-03, 01:20 AM

hmm, according to CDWOW it's still unconfirmed whether the region 3 release is going to be anamorphic or not. The Korean release definitely will be
Old 02-16-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

hmm, according to CDWOW it's still unconfirmed whether the region 3 release is going to be anamorphic or not. The Korean release definitely will be

I never put to much stock into what CD-WOW displays as features. They seem to be a little more out of touch than other retailers. Still, their prices are sometimes way better than other e-tailers. I but from them, but do my purchase homework elsewhere.
Old 02-17-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've already ordered it from Yesasia.com...Should be fun. I'm a big Vicki fan...

BTW, DVDAsia lists it as "out of stock"...

Last edited by aeron; 02-17-03 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-17-03, 09:13 PM

HI! I am Vicki fan too. I would like to know what's difference between Korean and Hong Kong version?
Does the Korean version come with Mandarin track and special feature? cuz I really like the cover than the HK one.
Old 02-18-03, 10:04 PM

SO CLOSE

"SO CLOSE" was released today in Hong Kong by COLUMBIA TRISTAR/ERA. It is believed to be animorphic. We are looking forward to comparing it to the Korean release since the Korean release is much cheaper. Our preorder for the HK version is up at:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

Regards,
Jeff
HKFLIX
Old 02-19-03, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, the best way to get either version of this title "much cheaper" is to order it from an Asian DVD site.
Old 02-19-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

DDDHouse has it now also

http://www.dddhouse.com/cms/dddhouse...productID=2688
Old 03-06-03, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Worst news of the week:

Sony is test-screening a (badly) dubbed version of this movie for an eventual US release.
Old 03-06-03, 03:25 AM

where do you get the news from?
Anyway, the dubbed (English) version was shown in Thailand last month.

Last edited by Nwiwatwa; 03-06-03 at 03:28 AM.
Old 03-06-03, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Peep
Worst news of the week:

Sony is test-screening a (badly) dubbed version of this movie for an eventual US release.
Well, the film is badly dubbed in any language... Some people in it are speaking Mandarin and others are speaking Cantonese, so either way you watch it its not gonna sync up all that great. I watched it the other night - it was okay... The action was pretty good and the story was pretty stupid. I don't see American audiences eating this up really. There are much better films they could release upon the US. I first heard about this movie when I saw a trailer before Transporter (I think) and was surprised to see a HK movie being trailerd in the US. Anyway - for a mindless action flick, it's okay. The effects ranged from decent to laughable.
Old 03-06-03, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
Well, the film is badly dubbed in any language... Some people in it are speaking Mandarin and others are speaking Cantonese, so either way you watch it its not gonna sync up all that great. I watched it the other night - it was okay... The action was pretty good and the story was pretty stupid. I don't see American audiences eating this up really. There are much better films they could release upon the US. I first heard about this movie when I saw a trailer before Transporter (I think) and was surprised to see a HK movie being trailerd in the US. Anyway - for a mindless action flick, it's okay. The effects ranged from decent to laughable.
Tnx trigger, you just saved me $15. Might as well pick up a celestial release.
Old 03-06-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Well, the film is badly dubbed in any language... Some people in it are speaking Mandarin and others are speaking Cantonese, so either way you watch it its not gonna sync up all that great.
As an English speaking person, bad English dubbing is a lot more noticeable than Chinese dubbing. There was a lot of dubbing on the Chinese audio track in "Naked Weapon" (a movie with a similar theme), and it hardly bothered me.

Awkward pauses and strange phrasing are a lot more noticeable in one's native tongue.

While I agree that some of the effects were not all that great (ie: the CGI breaking glass), so were spectacular. Also... Shu Qi... need I say more!!
Old 03-06-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Nwiwatwa
where do you get the news from?
Anyway, the dubbed (English) version was shown in Thailand last month.
Note that I specifically said that an English dub was tested. The questionaires that the audience filled out after the screening asked some specific questions about the dubbing, so maybe a sub-titled version was tested elsewhere.
Old 03-06-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So do I pick this up or wait for the Sony R1 release (if there is one?) I don't mind fun-no-brainer films with hotties
Yes, I got Naked Weapon.. just thought there would be more naked than weapon

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.