Reload this Page >

Need help deciding Satelite TV options!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-10-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 'rents have decided to make the switch from digital cable to satelite TV with PVR functions. And there are sooo many options! I don't even know what they all are! But it has to have PVR functionality. I konw that there is TiVo, and ReplayTV, but what are differences, which ones are better. What kind of plans are there? Etc... If anyone could provide me with as much information as possible, that'd be great. There's so much I don't even know where to begin.

Two things to note though, if it's at all possible, I have a Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 reciever, could I get satelite with 5.1 output?

And I don't have an HDTV, so I don't need an HDTV tuner.
Old 02-11-03, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, right now you would have about three options that I can think of:

DishNetwork: they have a couple PVRs, but there just glorified VCRs. They don't have a lot of cool features like ReplayTV and TiVo. With them you set the time and it records. It has a limited search function, but not much else. But, it records in 5.1 and digital video. Their newest PVR has two tuners, but is real expensive. No monthly fee here.

DirecTV: IMO your best option. They have a two tuner TiVo that records 5.1 and digital video for $200. In addition, it has all the cool TiVo features: Season Pass (can set to record just the first-run episodes of what shows you like), records the show no matter what day or time (comes in handy for a show, say like Angel that has moved 3 times in the last 1+ year), Wishlists (which you can set up to record anything, like every movie directed by Hitchcock), and an awesome search function. $4.95 monthly fee.

Standalone ReplayTVs and TiVos: are the most verstile as they work with anything, but don't record in 5.1 or digital video. If you don't have locals available in your area on each of the satellites, this is the only way to record locals (check each satellite website for your area). ReplayTV monthly is $9.95 or $250 lifetime. TiVo is $12.95 monthly or $250 lifetime, but that increases to $300 in about 3 weeks.

Until DirecTV added locals to my area, I worked with a DishPVR for cable channels and a standalone TiVo for local channels. Now I have everything in one package.
Old 02-11-03, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
if you can get locals in your area, there's not a better option out there than the DirecTivo. And there's no monthly service fee if you subscribe to the highest level of programming (like $83/month).
Old 02-11-03, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay... I was looking at the DTivo prices... Now, I have 3 TVs in the house. Do I need 3 seperate recievers? If so, is that 200+ each for each DTivo reciver? What about the plan, does it change at all?
Old 02-11-03, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by CKMorpheus
Okay... I was looking at the DTivo prices... Now, I have 3 TVs in the house. Do I need 3 seperate recievers? If so, is that 200+ each for each DTivo reciver? What about the plan, does it change at all?
Hmmm that could get pricey. This is a negative to satellite. You would need 3 seperate receivers for each of the TVs, and yes, $200/receiver if all three are DirecTiVos. On the other hand, if you're the only one interested in a DirecTiVo, the receiver-only receivers would likely be free with installation. It would be $5/TiVo and might even be an additional $5/month charge per room.

But, this only applies if all 3 TVs are being used by 3 different people. Remember, the DirecTiVo has two tuners and can record 2 shows at the same time.

But, you might want to check local availability first. Having locals through the satellite saves me $12/month over paying Cable for them.
Old 02-11-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If you go satellite, you need a receiver for each TV. DirecTiVo has 2 inputs but only one output, so while you can record two signals at one time, you can only actually "watch" one of them at any given moment. While I would never tell someone not to get 3 DirecTiVos, you may find that to be overkill. Most people get one DirecTiVo for the main room and then el cheapo receivers for the other rooms. If you need that much recording power, though, then by all means, go for it.

It's like $5/month for each DirecTiVo, but as already stated, if you have the Total Choice Premiere (or whatever they call it), that cost is dropped. A regular extra receiver will also be $5/month/receiver to "mirror" your channels to it. I don't know if you are spared the mirroring fee if you have multiple DirecTiVo's, but I assume not.

I'm not up to date on the current promotions, but I'd imagine you could get most of this stuff for free. Often, you'll pay for the DirecTiVo and then get extra receivers, cabling, dish, installation, etc for a very low cost if not free. In the last 3 years, I've purchased a DirecTiVo, 2 other receivers, a regular dish, an oval dish, a couple of multiswitches, an assload of cable, and one "professional" installation, and I don't think I've spent more than $300 for the whole process (not including my HD receiver).

Not sure what you're asking about the plan changing.

Anyway, I too would recommend a DirecTiVo-based setup. Unless there are extenuating circumstances like not being able to get locals or something, there's no better product than the DirecTiVo, and if you're somewhat computer savvy, you can upgrade that sucker without too much difficulty.

das
Old 02-11-03, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
if you're somewhat computer savvy, you can upgrade that sucker without too much difficulty.

das
Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but........

I see weaknees.com has plenty of upgrade options for the Series 2 DirecTiVo, which sound tempting. This voids the warranty though, right? I paid $40 or $50 to CC for a 5 year warranty on all my DirecTV equipment. I guess I never looked, but the unit must have some seal, otherwise how would the CC know a bigger HD is in it?
Old 02-11-03, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Chew9 •<HR SIZE=1>Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but........

I see weaknees.com has plenty of upgrade options for the Series 2 DirecTiVo, which sound tempting. This voids the warranty though, right? I paid $40 or $50 to CC for a 5 year warranty on all my DirecTV equipment. I guess I never looked, but the unit must have some seal, otherwise how would the CC know a bigger HD is in it?
<HR SIZE=1>

I have a Series 1, and the sticker was VERY loosely attached to the back. I was able to upgrade and replace the sticker easily. If you follow a complete upgrade, you would back up the main drive in there, so if something "died" that you couldn't fix, you could always replace the original software on the main drive, remove your extra drive and go from there. I don't know how Series 2 works though. www.tivocommunity.com is definitely the place to go for detailed information on all this stuff though.

das
Old 02-11-03, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm partial to Dishnetwork. They have tons of international programming, more movie channels and most of the big sports plans. Startup costs are not that much for a Dish-based PVR. You can get a Dish 508 (records up to 80hrs) and a regular 301 (lower model nonpvr) for under $100 after rebate/credits. IMO, I think you should consider which has the programming you want. You'll get used to a Dish PVR much the same way you can get used to a Directivo. So that's not something I'd worry about. And if you're concerned with better software for the PVR, the Dish 721 (newest dish receiver with 120gb, 2 tuners) is constantly being tweaked. I'm waiting to get a 721 once my current contract with dish expires.
Old 02-11-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you go satellite, you need a receiver for each TV.
This is quickly becoming the norm for cable as digital cable is deployed. Sure you may still get some local channels with a traditional analog tuner, but anything in the digital tier will require a cable box.

Comcast has been running some misleading ads about the benefits of cable over satellite. I would think twice about a product that relies on deception as a sales tool.
Old 02-11-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Pistol Pete •<HR SIZE=1>Comcast has been running some misleading ads about the benefits of cable over satellite. I would think twice about a product that relies on deception as a sales tool. <HR SIZE=1>

You must be hearing the same ads I am, since you're in Atlanta. They're highly misleading and very annoying, "dude ... it's not on the Dish, man." Whatever. Like I'm going to switch to Comcast because I can't see some local high school team play some meaningless lacrosse game once a year. We have CSS in the weightroom, and every time I flip it on, they're just filtering through ESPNews. Wow! I'm sold!

Along the same lines, I'd think twice about a product run by a company that shacked up with those evil monsters at AT&T for a while.

das
Old 02-11-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
[OT]
Just logging in to *be bitter* about the state of cable vs. satellite in my area... (I do this 3 or 4 times a year, just humor me...)

a) No major networks on satellite, probably never unless they get all the way down to the tiny markets or adjust the damn laws...

b) Piss-poor quality over-the-air reception of ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox; no WB or UPN...

c) Waivers always refused -- (does anyone grant them anymore?).

d) No lifeline cable -- they'll charge you for the full analog tier, and they're dying to do away with that and make digital mandatory...

Life sucks in the grey TV zones.
[/OT]

Last edited by adamblast; 02-11-03 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-11-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally posted by adamblast

Same goes for those of us directionally challenged.
Old 02-11-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have Dish Network w/ the DishPVR 501. Like they said the Dish PVR is just like a better VCR. You set it like a VCR. So for Friends... 8pm-8:30pm. If for some reason they change Friends to 8:30-9 it won't switch for you like Tivo does. The DishPVR holds about 30 hours of perfect quality video and sound and then you can transfer to VHS, etc when you want. Dish just sent out a program update to the 501s too... with some better features.

I get the top 150 programming, HBO, locals, and superstations.
Old 02-11-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you go satellite, you need a receiver for each TV.
Originally posted by Pistol Pete
This is quickly becoming the norm for cable as digital cable is deployed.
I’ve never had a cable system that didn’t need a box for everything. Thus, a box [receiver] for every room you want independent channel control. (AT&T Broadband had an anti-satellite commercial on for a very short time claiming that, if you want to watch different channels in different rooms, you had to pay extra. [True.] Ergo, it must not cost extra for cable. [NOT true.] I wish I had a tape of that commercial…)
Dude, does anybody even know where Lompoc is?? I would say it doesn’t exist, except I’ve been there. Even spent a night there, IIRC.

A regular extra receiver will also be $5/month/receiver to "mirror" your channels to it.
I’ve heard this term before. ‘splain, please?
Old 02-11-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You must be hearing the same ads I am, since you're in Atlanta. They're highly misleading and very annoying, "dude ... it's not on the Dish, man." Whatever. Like I'm going to switch to Comcast because I can't see some local high school team play some meaningless lacrosse game once a year.
I hate those commercials. My least favorite part is the "And then, they wanted me to sign a contract? A contract! No thank you... I'll stick with cable." Like nobody has ever had to sign a contract to get cable service.
Old 02-11-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by CaptainMarvel
Like nobody has ever had to sign a contract to get cable service.
I never did.

The contract is simple: you pay, or you don't watch.

Old 02-11-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Wizdar
I never did.

The contract is simple: you pay, or you don't watch.

I have Comcast (who runs the ads), and I have a contract with them. It isn't a yearly contract, but a month to month contract that renews itself. Either party could terminate it at the end of the month.

But regardless of whether you even have a written contract, you still have a contract with them.
Old 02-11-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And with the phone company.

And with the electric company.

And...
Old 02-11-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Wizdar
And with the phone company.

And with the electric company.

And...
Maybe I'm missing your point?
Old 02-11-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You wouldn't be the first.

It certainly wasn't
Old 02-11-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[OT]
Just logging in to *be bitter* about the state of cable vs. satellite in my area... (I do this 3 or 4 times a year, just humor me...)

a) No major networks on satellite, probably never unless they get all the way down to the tiny markets or adjust the damn laws...

b) Piss-poor quality over-the-air reception of ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox; no WB or UPN...

c) Waivers always refused -- (does anyone grant them anymore?).

d) No lifeline cable -- they'll charge you for the full analog tier, and they're dying to do away with that and make digital mandatory...

[/OT]
Have you ever heard of "moving" ?

"Moving" involves having a service address located in a city (LA ? San Diego ? San Francisco ?) which has the locals you want while having a (different) mailing address that ensures you get your bill on time every month. No need for waivers, no muss, no fuss.

You can find out which cities are available where you are by checking transponders 4, 12, 18, 20, 26 & 28 in the setup menus on a nearby Directv receiver, then cross referencing with this chart -

http://www.tivofan.com/directv/channels.html

SF is on tp 12 & 20, Sacramento on tp 4, LA on tp 18 & 28, and SD on tp 18. Go with the one that gives you the highest signal strength readings.

Then get an address in that city to use as your "new" location, one not already occupied by a Directv or Dish Network subscriber. Cable-subscribing family or friends in your chosen city who can be let in on what you're doing are the best. Fast food joints, parking lots, and other unlikely dish locations are also good.

When you have your system installed, let the guy install it and call in to Directv with your real address, not your "fake" address. After he installs it, checks that its working properly and leaves, call Directv back and have your SERVICE address changed to the new address you're "moving" to, but tell them to leave the BILLING address alone. Tell them to add the locals to the programming you already have. Before hanging up, make sure the locals you want are showing on your TV.

If you want to double-check your account to make sure your addresses are correct, go to your online account page. If your billing address has been changed by the CS rep to where you "moved" to, just change it back to your real address yourself.

Cast off the shackles of cable TV tyranny ! Go get that DirecTiVo now !
Old 02-11-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 333 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally posted by NC-36
Have you ever heard of "moving" ?

"Moving" involves having a service address located in a city (LA ? San Diego ? San Francisco ?) which has the locals you want while having a (different) mailing address that ensures you get your bill on time every month. No need for waivers, no muss, no fuss.

You can find out which cities are available where you are by checking transponders 4, 12, 18, 20, 26 & 28 in the setup menus on a nearby Directv receiver, then cross referencing with this chart -

http://www.tivofan.com/directv/channels.html

SF is on tp 12 & 20, Sacramento on tp 4, LA on tp 18 & 28, and SD on tp 18. Go with the one that gives you the highest signal strength readings.

Then get an address in that city to use as your "new" location, one not already occupied by a Directv or Dish Network subscriber. Cable-subscribing family or friends in your chosen city who can be let in on what you're doing are the best. Fast food joints, parking lots, and other unlikely dish locations are also good.

When you have your system installed, let the guy install it and call in to Directv with your real address, not your "fake" address. After he installs it, checks that its working properly and leaves, call Directv back and have your SERVICE address changed to the new address you're "moving" to, but tell them to leave the BILLING address alone. Tell them to add the locals to the programming you already have. Before hanging up, make sure the locals you want are showing on your TV.

If you want to double-check your account to make sure your addresses are correct, go to your online account page. If your billing address has been changed by the CS rep to where you "moved" to, just change it back to your real address yourself.

Cast off the shackles of cable TV tyranny ! Go get that DirecTiVo now !
Are you serious? Has anyone else successfully done this? Basically, I'd like to try, but I'm afraid they'll say no soup for me and flag my account with badness. If it's worked for others, maybe I'll get my nerve up . . .

tasha
Old 02-11-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tasha99
Are you serious? Has anyone else successfully done this? Basically, I'd like to try, but I'm afraid they'll say no soup for me and flag my account with badness. If it's worked for others, maybe I'll get my nerve up . . .

tasha
Lots of people do this. Directv doesn't care; they get their money and are happy.
Old 02-12-03, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth huzefa •<HR SIZE=1>Lots of people do this. Directv doesn't care; they get their money and are happy. <HR SIZE=1>

Normally, I would not advocate this, but the local broadcast networks have been completely unreasonable about their waivers and are acting against the spirit of the laws that were set-up to protect them.

das

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.