Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone has Pasolini's DVDs from R2 UK

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-03, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am about to expand my DVD collection to movies directed by Pasolini. I have ordered Salo from R2 UK and am going to order
Decameron, Arabian Night and Canterbury Tales. Would someone who has them please comment on the quality of these
DVDs released by Bfi? Thanks a million!!
Old 02-06-03, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...the bfi release of "Salò" ain't nothin' to write home about, believe me: the non-anamorphic widescreen image is even iffier than that on the Criterion release (which was nothing for Criterion to be proud of, really!), and the UK disc is just about as barebones as the CC... but, hey! it's "Salò" so you gotta get it, right? right!

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 02-06-03 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-06-03, 09:09 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Hendrik
...the bfi release of "Salò" ain't nothin' to write home about, believe me: the non-anamorphic widescreen image is even iffier than that on the Criterion release (which was nothing for Criterion to be proud of, really!), and the UK disc is just about as barebones as the CC... but, hey! it's "Salò" so you gotta get it, right? right!

. . . . . .
Reading the comparison link, it's interesting to note that the running times are different. The UK PAL DVD is actually 22 seconds longer than the US (Criterion) DVD edition. Usually PAL discs have shorter running times, due to PAL conversion. The bottom running time is also in accurate: PAL: 116 min., NTSC: 111 min.

Looks like the reviewer switched all the running times around since the film's complete running time is 116 minutes.

Last edited by Giles; 02-06-03 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-06-03, 09:13 AM

The Decameron is available from MGM in the US at a real reasonable price. I respectfully disagree with Hendrik on the MGM/BFI release of Salo. I think the transfer is certainly better than the Criterion, which is way too green, but that's just my opinion.

Jeff
Old 02-06-03, 09:48 AM

The version of Salo to get, if you don't mind the lack of English subs, is the recent French release, which has a vastly superior picture to the screen caps I've seen of the US/UK versions. I couldn't believe how much more colorful it was. It also has a documentary about Pasolini which includes footage of the crew shooting the final sequence.
Old 02-06-03, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by Shiv Shankly
The version of Salo to get, if you don't mind the lack of English subs, is the recent French release, which has a vastly superior picture to the screen caps I've seen of the US/UK versions. I couldn't believe how much more colorful it was. It also has a documentary about Pasolini which includes footage of the crew shooting the final sequence.
Since the film is so heavily dialogue driven (and I can't speak or read French or Italian for that matter) this is a disappointment I can't enjoy this edition. Out of curiousity, anyone have or seen the French edition of Pasolini's Trilogy of Life films? How does this transfer compare with the UK editions?

So, who here in the states now have the rights to Salo? What is holding up a rerelease of this film on DVD? If MGM has the rights to The Decameron, will we likewise see the eventual rerelease of Canterbury Tales and Arabian Nights in the near future?
Old 02-06-03, 02:10 PM
Cool New Member

The coming Japan DVD of SAlO is 117 mins. (It says UNCUT Edition)
It seems to be anamorphic transfer (16:9)
Old 02-06-03, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by dq102
What's the point of buying Salo from Japan where all the below the waist nudity will be optically fogged out/censored anyway??
Old 02-06-03, 06:52 PM
Banned

dvdbeaver.com features a great comparison between the Criterion and the BFI version, should be of interest. Cannot link to it though.
Old 02-07-03, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by dq102
The Japanese version does not have English subtitle!!!

Last edited by chucky7; 02-07-03 at 02:16 AM.
Old 02-07-03, 02:15 AM

Well, it's not like I can choose between the Criterion Salo and BFI
The Criterion Salo is only available in bootleg format for US 50, where as BFI version is available for US 30. It is a no brainer questions, right?

I have seen the screen capture comparison between the Criterion and BFI. I like BFI better.