Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

John Grisham's The King of Torts

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-03, 11:12 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts
John Grisham's The King of Torts

The King of Torts came out this week. I am eager to read this one, but I promised myself I'd get through my existing stack of unread books before I buy a new one. I don't know if I'll be able to do it though...I may have to cheat my conscience and pick this one up.

Anyone else looking forward to this (or already reading it)?
Old 02-05-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I followed that rule, I'd never buy another book. I have over 300 books in my "unread pile". It definitely keeps a variety to choose from right at my fingertips, but it can be a little daunting.
Old 02-05-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've got it sitting on my shelf....I intend to take a look at it at some point. The plot actually sounded pretty good, which is more than I can say for Grisham's past several books.

Who knows...maybe this one will be a rebound for him.
Old 02-05-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I plan on picking it up this week.
Old 02-07-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I may pick this up but not be able to read it right away. I'm still laboring thru ROTK and I have Jeffrey Archer's new book next in line...
Old 04-17-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just finished it. Good book though not one of his best. Still, an average book by John Grisham will beat a majority of books that are out there. Now on to Prey.
Old 04-17-03, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts
I bought this a few days ago I have three books in front of it The Hound of the Baskervilles, Gump and Co., and About A Boy. I will get around to reading it someday.
Old 04-18-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 390 Likes on 279 Posts
I read it and found the ending a bit off from the rest of the book a bit of a let down. I really enjoyed the first 2/3 of the book. I expected things to turn sour I felt the ending was a bit hurried with a few things left unaccounted for. A few of the plot points were essentially dropped toward the end, am I supposed to not notice this?

Spoiler:
His frined Pace disappears half way thru the book and screws him with the bad class action, when he disappers he's gone for good and not really mentioned again except by the feds.

Also what happened with his millions 'saved for later' off shore, did he admit he had it? The guy wasn't really broke if he had that still and didn't need his friends help.
Old 08-09-03, 03:32 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jpcamb
Spoiler:
His frined Pace disappears half way thru the book and screws him with the bad class action, when he disappers he's gone for good and not really mentioned again except by the feds.

Also what happened with his millions 'saved for later' off shore, did he admit he had it? The guy wasn't really broke if he had that still and didn't need his friends help.
Spoiler:
Pace wasn't really in the book that much to begin with, so the ending seems kind of apt...it's mentioned near the end that Pace made $15 Mil buying/selling Gofferman stock and left the country, with Clay hoping he stays hidden because Pace is the only one who could put Clay in Jail

The offshore accounts were also take care of with the bankruptcy lawyer who counselled Clay to bring the money in and make it part of the bankruptcy proceedings because hiding it was a felony and would land him in jail if/when found.

Sorry to bump this oldish thread, but I just finished the book and besides being able to answer the questions above, wanted to complain about another book. Overall, I thought this book was very predictable and, even worse, by the end I realized that I was basically reading the Firm again.
Spoiler:
I actually put off reading this because when I learned the title, I knew right away that it would just be a book about how bad class action law suits are. I already know and agree with this (more that they need serious reform than that they are inherently bad), so while it was interesting to see the up- and down-side of being a class action lawyer, it wasn't anything that shocking. I also don't have a problem with obscene wealth, so that part didn't really (well except for a few parts) really shock me that much either.

And then it seemed so much like the Firm...young lawyer gets caught up in a seamy part of the law profession, and after initial wild success crashes and burns and learns life lessons.
Despite my disappointment, Grisham is still a solid techician and I do agree with Ketamine's above point.