Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Making an external drive internal?

necros
02-05-03, 10:14 AM
I have an external USB CDRW drive from Lacie. Anyway, I was wondering if it would be possible to clear up some space on my desk by taking the drive out of it's external case, and then just sticking it in one of my PC's drive bays. From what I can tell by looking it at it seems like it's just a regular drive that's installed into the external case, but since it's USB I don't know if it's got the same innards or if it's something specially made.... any ideas? I don't wanna crack it open and risk messing something up if it's not gonna work...

kneijst1
02-05-03, 12:27 PM
Judging by your last sentence I wouldn't mess with it. It sounds like your are correct in that it might just be a regular drive stuck in an outer casing.
If it's just several screws holding in the case, I might try taking those out and see if the drive slips out easily. If not, I just wouldn't mess with it. You could always sell it off on ebay and buy a new internal drive. good luck.

X
02-05-03, 12:41 PM
Almost all USB devices are regular drives put into a USB case. I do have a TDK burner that I have read is really a USB device in itself, but that's the only one I've ever heard of.

You could do a couple of things. Call Lacie and ask or read the drive/model info from its firmware and check up on the drive.