Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Enter the Matrix!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-03, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enter the Matrix!!!

Gamespot has posted a first look at the games based on the Matrix universe. Looks pretty kick ass just from the screenshots. Graphics aren't all that, but if it moves fluidly then it'll do the trick. Character models look good, but the background textures look a little muddy. Then again these are just alpha shots so some work has yet to be done.

Apparently the movie directors were very involved in the making of the game so hopefully it'll turn out nice. Maybe something like Devil May Cry (the first one, not the turd of a second game) with some added cinematic flair to the moves.
Old 02-04-03, 11:23 PM
RVP

Re: Enter the Matrix!!!

Originally posted by The Franchise
Graphics aren't all that, but if it moves fluidly then it'll do the trick.
I agree the graphics are not very good at this point. Hopefully will be better by beta time. I won't really care though as long as the gameplay is fun. Oh yeah and sweet weapons/ fight moves.
Old 02-04-03, 11:33 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

According to the "Enter the Matrix" article in March OXM, the Wachowski brothers are avid gamers and are very involved in the development of the game. That gives me high hopes for this game.
Old 02-04-03, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also the fact that she had to do more lines for the game then the movies, it shows that this will be a bridge to what is going on in another area of the Matrix reloaded/revolutions time line on the battle.
Old 02-05-03, 09:49 AM

got an epk for the videogame and the game itself looks pretty good. pretty nice graphics, very smooth. looks a lot like a cleaner max payne. there are also driving and flying levels. The characters are large, but move very fluidly. the moves are very matrixy. lot of flips and kicks and slomo bullet time stuff. i think it looks promising, but we'll see. the good movie & tv based games are few and far between.
Old 02-05-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ehh. I'm not too impressed. I had no idea you didn't get to play as Neo in the game. This sucks.
Old 02-05-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
also the fact that she had to do more lines for the game then the movies, it shows that this will be a bridge to what is going on in another area of the Matrix reloaded/revolutions time line on the battle.
That sounds really really really cool. Like when a character steps off screen in the movie, you would "see" what happens "off-screen" and it would help explain actions and motives and what not. What a great concept. I'm assuming it's not critical to know what goes on in the game because a lot of people that watch the movies wont buy the game, but for those of us that do play, it'll help flesh out the story. Run-on sentence anyone? Brilliant concept. Can you tell I'm excited?

The game's official website says you can "hack your console"???? Wonder what that means????
Old 02-05-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The game's official website says you can "hack your console"???? Wonder what that means????
From what I heard, the Wachowski Bros. were big fans of the original Metal Gear Solid. Perhaps they'll do something akin to the Psycho Mantis battle in the game.
Old 02-05-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just watched the video on Gamespot and I wasn't very impressed. The fighting scenes look cool but the driving and flying parts look really lame. Plus the graphics need some serious work. It's nice that they used the movie sound effects for the fighting section though. Shiny's got their work cut out for them 'cause May ain't that far away....
Old 02-05-03, 02:59 PM
Mod Emeritus

I think there's a reason why MS didn't give a rats ass if this was (time) exclusive on their machine or not. For Splinter Cell they did.
Old 02-06-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think with the ridiculously high expectations for this game it HAS to be good. I doubt the Wachowski Bros. would put their "stamp of approval" on it otherwise. They had a special on the game on Entertainment Tonight last night (saw it at the gym) and they got the game mixed up with the Animatrix so they kept showing pictures of the game and calling it a short movie. Nice that they had a hollywood style premier though, complete with celebs like Will and Jada, and Mr. "whoa" himself, Keanu Reeves. Got the media's attention at least.

Incidentally, one of the shorts from the Animatrix is supposed to show before "The Dreamcatcher" that opens next month. It's the one developed by Square and has photorealistic CG. IGN has a story about it. Just FYI.
Old 02-06-03, 02:05 PM
Mod Emeritus

Yeah I saw that last night. I think Will Smith thought the game was crappy when he said "Yeah, this is kinda cool" while playing it!
Old 02-06-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Yeah I saw that last night. I think Will Smith thought the game was crappy when he said "Yeah, this is kinda cool" while playing it!
Wonder what he said while playing MIIB - Alien Escape?
Old 02-06-03, 05:19 PM

The still shots looked pretty good but in motion the characters and the gameplay (the fighting anyway) doesn't look too great or that fun. Hopefully this game won't be another tech demo. Still I can't help but be curious being the Matrix freak that I am, there's still 2 months until May. There's still time to to bring it around. If its as good as they say it is with the Wachowski Bros working on it it might live up to the hype....i hope
Old 02-06-03, 05:26 PM

It looks like a mildly entertaining 3d 'beat em up' set in the Matrix universe. I have seen tons of it in action and it does move fairly well. Ill most likely rent it, but its by no means going to be a must own, top notch title.
Old 02-06-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Outlaw
Still I can't help but be curious being the Matrix freak that I am, there's still 2 months until May.
3 by my count
Old 02-06-03, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
One thing that will bring the audiance in... the cut scenes. The brothers shot tons of footage that will only be in the game as cut scenes. Making this a side story to whats going on in the Matrix Reloaded side stories. With real cut scenes this will be a Must for matrix fans.
Old 02-06-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

according to Cnn, about an hour of footage made only for the game...
Old 02-07-03, 09:20 AM

They had a special on the game on Entertainment Tonight last night (saw it at the gym) and they got the game mixed up with the Animatrix so they kept showing pictures of the game and calling it a short movie.
saw the piece and they actually were indeed showing clips from the animatrix short "flight of osiris" as well as the vidgame and did indicate that.
Old 02-07-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by warcp
saw the piece and they actually were indeed showing clips from the animatrix short "flight of osiris" as well as the vidgame and did indicate that.
Yeah but the "premier event" was for Enter the Matrix which is the videogame. This coincidentally coincided (huh?) with the premier of the first episode of "The Animatrix" which you can view online. The short of it is that the premier event was for the games.

Also IGN has unlocked its preview and has some interesting info. Specifically that the PS2 will be the lead platform which is good for PS2 owners but not so hot for XBOX and GC owners. Generally games that are optimized for PS2 don't look so hot on the other consoles (ie. they don't have great framerates or the graphics aren't up to the console owner's expectations). Either way just an interesting tidbit. Hopefully it'll be more challenging and fun than DMC2.
Old 02-07-03, 11:49 AM
Mod Emeritus

I always thought games optimized on PS2 mean they will have better framerates and sharper graphisc than the other consoles, like Madden for example. Optimized just means they used the PS2 as the lowest common denominator and will port it without adding anything huge.

After reading the preview though, it sounds like a real piece of crap so I won't lose any sweat over it anyway.
Old 02-07-03, 12:05 PM
dgc

After reading the preview though, it sounds like a real piece of crap so I won't lose any sweat over it anyway.
I think it's too early to tell.

According to an Entertaiment Magazine article they spent 20 million to make this game. That would make it one of the most expensive peices of crap ever.

With the Wachowski brothers heavy involvement and knowing their love for anime and gaming, it would be a shame if this game didn't turn out to be at least a good - great title.
Old 02-07-03, 12:10 PM
Mod Emeritus

I was thinking a lot of the 20 mill went towards the exclusive cutscenes they filmed just for this game and not the game itself.
Old 02-07-03, 12:19 PM
dgc

I was thinking a lot of the 20 mill went towards the exclusive cutscenes they filmed just for this game and not the game itself.
Yes, that is correct. Still, it was done exclusively for the game. I think they also used the footage to model the characters and the movements. It probably doesn't help the gameplay, but as a big Matrix fan it certainly makes it more tempting to purchase. I just hope they give us enough gameplay and don't go over board with the cut scenes like MGS substance.
Old 02-07-03, 06:00 PM

beyond the cutscenes filmed for the game, they actually used jada pinkett and anthony wong to do a bunch of the green screen and character movement stuff. i saw footage where they're dressed up in the bodysuits with the ping pong balls on them, running around. that must have cost a lot just for the amount of time with the real actors.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.