Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

I resolve to not buy any new games until I beat all my old ones.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-03, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Over the last couple years, I've picked up a bunch of games. Many games are for old systems. The rest were somewhat current when I got them but might now be a little old. In most cases, I got some other new game that took me away from these (or went back to an old game). In some cases, I got a bunch of games over a short period of time and never started one or more of them. I resolve to beat them all before I buy another new game. Ideally, I would also like to get this list done by the time I get married in the middle of May.

Since I started this effort, I've beaten eight so far. Most of those were in progress somewhat near the end (hey, I get distracted easily) and took little time to finish, with the quickest being under one hour (Chrono Trigger). The rest now aren't so easy.

It is going to be hard to refrain from buying games, but at least this is a typical weak time of the year in terms of new releases, and any new releases might be cheap by the time I finish this list.

Don't let me buy another game until I beat:

NES
Startropics 2
Legend of Zelda II: Adventures of Link
Adventure Island 3
Metroid
Battle of Olympus
Snake's Revenge

SNES
Chrono Trigger
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3

PC
Delta Force Land Warrior
Medal of Honor: Spearhead
Metal Gear Solid
Pit Droids
Half-Life
Myth: The Fallen Lords

XBox
Max Payne
Halo
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Ghost Recon
Mechassault

Italics denote new entries to the list.

Last edited by Jeremy517; 01-05-06 at 02:26 AM.
Old 02-03-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel your pain. I have quite a few PS2 games that remain unfinished, as well as a couple for my new GBA.
Old 02-03-03, 04:49 PM

Yeah I'm trying this plan as well. I have scertain games (Hitman 2 for example) to beat before I get into Splinter Cell. I try to foloow this as close as I can but this Holiday season kind of flushed it.
Old 02-03-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hehe, good luck. I never have the discipline to do this.
Old 02-03-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's the only reason I only own one system.

But I think I can manage having two systems considering that it takes me about 3 days to beat a game.
Old 02-03-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haha.. good luck..

Battle of Olympus kicks ASS. ASS I tell you.
Old 02-03-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd never buy any new games if I did this! For example out of my 30 DC games I would only have beaten about 5 or so. Still it's having fun that matters!

btw Halo and Half-life are well worth playing through I reckon.

Chris
Old 02-03-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I've only got a few games that I want to beat, and I'd like to do that before I buy any new ones.

The problem is, they're all RPGs that take forever and a day.

I haven't beat either of the Baldur's Gate games; that's like a million hours right there.

Thankfully, there isn't a lot that's coming out that I want. I'm pretty much only into CRPGs these days and the next one I want isn't coming out until April.
Old 02-03-03, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Chris_D

btw Halo and Half-life are well worth playing through I reckon.
Yah. I'm about halfway through Halo right now I'd say. I didn't waste any time and started on Legendary right away.

Half-life will probably be the last one knocked off the list. I got almost all the way through it about 4 years ago on a friend's copy, but I got to a part where I needed some kind of jet pack(?) and evidently I didn't have it. Nor did I have any saves back earlier, so I couldn't go on. That pretty much ended my Half-life single player experience. I only bought my own copy for Counter-Strike anyways, so I'm debating whether or not to keep it on the list or not. I really have zero desire to start over.
Old 02-03-03, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Halo is too tough on me for the Legendary mode.I really hate the Flood, so that why I never wanted to go to that level.
Old 02-03-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by juiio
I really have zero desire to start over.
Why, did you not enjoy it? Admittedly, the alien planet was the least fun area, And I never actually bothered to get beyond a buddha-like boss, but have enjoyed playing through the missions several times.
Old 02-03-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember the myth single player levels being excruciating as well....
Old 02-03-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I feel your pain, this is something I've been trying to stay on top of, and my friends and I started the VGC (Video Game Championship) as a joke to force us to finish our games. So far, mixed results, but at least we're having fun doing it.

Spoiler:
I can't actively promote the VGC but if you're interested check out my sig.

Good luck!

Jeremy

Last edited by jrutz; 02-03-03 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-03-03, 06:24 PM

I beat Hitman 2 and was planning on playing Splinter Cell after beating it. I had so much fun playing Hitman 2 that I committed myself to beat it again and get the Silent Assasin rating on every level. Who knows if I'll make it. If I only had more time then I could beat all my games!
Old 02-03-03, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RoQuEr
I remember the myth single player levels being excruciating as well....
That is the other one I have to start over. I had my saves on a really old Mac. Even if I still had the saves (I don't), they might not be compatible with the Windows version.
Old 02-03-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RoQuEr
Why, did you not enjoy it? Admittedly, the alien planet was the least fun area, And I never actually bothered to get beyond a buddha-like boss, but have enjoyed playing through the missions several times.
It probably is a mental block. I had fun playing it, but knowing that I got near the end without actually actually finishing it is frustrating. If I had beat it the first time and this was a "I resolve to finish these games again" thread, I'd probably have no problem starting again. Silly little mental block. I'll most likely enjoy it once I start it, but starting it seems to be a bit of a stumbling block.
Old 02-03-03, 08:24 PM

I had the same resolution, but it didn't work out. When i see a game for a great price, i can't resist it and i just nab it, knowing that i can always play it later.

I calculated that if i played videogames 8 hours a day it would take me 2 years to finish my entire collection of unplayed games.
Old 02-03-03, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good Luck!!!

I've tried it many times and failed. I've got 10 systems and too many new games for them to get through it all. If I tried, I probably wouldn't buy another system or games for the next 5 years.
Old 02-03-03, 10:44 PM

I need to resolve buying new games also. I've been playing Shenmue II, MGS 2: Substance, and Splinter Cell. But I have not finished any of those titles, yet I find myself buying NBA Inside Drive '03 and DOA: XBV.

While at the same time, trying to finish Super Mario Sunshine, Super Monkey Ball 2 and Resident Evil Zero still! And now I'm tempted to buy Resident Evil 2 & 3!

I still can't fit any time playing these games with all the dvds i'm behind.
Old 02-03-03, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by superboyreturns
I had the same resolution, but it didn't work out. When i see a game for a great price, i can't resist it and i just nab it, knowing that i can always play it later.

I calculated that if i played videogames 8 hours a day it would take me 2 years to finish my entire collection of unplayed games.

Then you wouldn't mind lending me a few games for a year or two?
Old 02-03-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, i, too, will buy games if they're a great price even though i know i don't have time to play them right now... what's worse, i can really only play one game at a time b/c i get confused w/ different control layouts.

right now, i'm playing buffy on the xbox. recently, i finally finished ffx (but not ff8 or ff9, or the earlier versions).

i have grandia, grandia 2, suikoden, lunar, arc the lad, dark cloud, etc, etc, etc... to finish. but i don't want to quit my job to finish them.
Old 02-03-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by young
but i don't want to quit my job to finish them.
Yeah. Big roadblock in my quest.
Old 02-04-03, 03:02 AM
QjO

"Good Luck," my sentiments exactly. It'll NEVER happen though - I feel your pain. I'm currently playing through METROID FUSION for GBA, but, here's the list of currently UNOPENED or unplayed/barely played titles I've picked up: (that i'll never have time for but some day wish I will)

Gran Turismo 3 A spec - unopened
Suikoden III - unopened
GTA Vice City - unopened (please don't kill me )
Kingdom Hearts - 2 hours
Dark Cloud - 30 min. tops
Final Fantasy X - 10 hours - kinda stopped
GTA3 - couple hours
Ghost Recon - 30 minutes tops
Legaia 2 - unopened
heck...the list goes on and on - not to mention the Dreamcast, Playstation, Gamecube (Metroid Prime - got that one too - of course - waiting until after Fusion), Nintendo 64 (at the last dungeon before heading to Ganondorf's in Ocarina of Time - never even started Majora's Mask past 15 min), Saturn, Virtual boy, all instances of Gameboy (never played my Castlevania SOTN or much of the F-Zero GBA import) - ahh!!!!

its a trip how when you're growing up in the 80's and early 90's, you beg borrow and deal w/ parents to get you ONE game - then when you've joined the 'real world' and have a good job BUT have the stigma of growing up w/ video games - oh, the lack of discernment in purchasing games - you kind of kill that kid-attitude you had where you beat a game to death much like kicking a dead horse, because then, it was the only game you had.

These days, we have Bens Bargains, DVDtalk, etc, w/ endless deals and coupons to buy-buy-buy the best deals, the latest and greatest - yadda yadda yadda...

its all striving for the wind...

but it do get fun, don't it?

Q
Old 02-04-03, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by QjO
heck...the list goes on and on - not to mention the Dreamcast, Playstation, Gamecube (Metroid Prime - got that one too - of course - waiting until after Fusion), Nintendo 64 (at the last dungeon before heading to Ganondorf's in Ocarina of Time - never even started Majora's Mask past 15 min), Saturn, Virtual boy, all instances of Gameboy (never played my Castlevania SOTN or much of the F-Zero GBA import) - ahh!!!!
And that, my friends, is an addiction.

I only have a handful of games that I've never finished but put a decent amount of time into.

* Shining Wisdom (Saturn)
* Golden Sun (GBA, at the last dungeon -- waiting to finish until Golden Sun 2 comes out, at least that's my excuse)
* Castlevania: COTM (GBA, pretty close to finishing)
* Survival Kids (GBC, this game has 8 endings so I wouldn't hold your breath)
* Final Fantasy VII (PSX)
* Grandia (PSX, but I haven't even received this in the mail yet)

So, only 6 games out of many (most of which are RPGs). And I'm making a conscious effort to go back and finish at least Golden Sun and Castlevania.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 02-04-03 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-04-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since we're posting our gaming schedule, I thought I'd put up my schedule from the VGC I mentioned earlier:

October Total: 4 Started: 0 Carried Over: 0 Completed: 0
  • System Shock 2 (PC)
  • Clive Barker's Undying (PC)
  • The Thing (PC)
  • D2 (DC)
November Total: 8 Started: 3 Carried Over: 2 Completed: 2 :P
  • Golden Sun (GBA)*
  • Quantum Redshift (XBox) - currently 38% complete
  • Shenmue (DC)* - 2 of 3 discs completed
  • RalliSport Challenge (XBox)
  • Halo (XBox)
  • Metal of Honor Allied Assault (PC)
  • Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds/Clone Campaigns (PC)
  • Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (PC)
December Total: 7 Started: 1 Carried Over: 3 Completed: 1
  • Quantum Redshift (XBox)* - currently 75% complete
  • RalliSport Challenge (XBox)*
  • Ghost Recon (XBox)
  • Spider-Man: The Movie (XBOX)
  • The Thing (XBox)
  • Wreckless (XBOX)
  • Deathrow (XBox)
January Total: 5 Started: 2 Carried Over: 3 Completed: 1
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
February Total: 4 Started: 0 Carried Over: 4 Completed: 1
  • RalliSport Challenge (XBox)*
  • Splinter Cell (XBox)*
  • Mech Assault (XBox)
Note: Italics denote titles listed during previous month(s) but were never started.
  • The Thing (XBox)
  • Genma Onimusha (XBox)
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 (XBox)
  • Bloodrayne (XBox)
  • Serious Sam (XBox)
  • Silent Hill 2 (XBox)
  • Robotech (XBox)
  • Freedom Force (PC)
  • System Shock 2 (PC)
  • Clive Barker's Undying (PC)
  • D2 (DC)
  • Metal of Honor Allied Assault (PC)
  • Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds/Clone Campaigns (PC)
  • Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (PC)
  • Crash Bandicoot (XBOX)
  • Battle Realms (PC)
  • Black and White/Creature Isle (PC)
  • X-Wing Alliance (PC)
  • Hundred Swords (PC)
  • Ground Control (PC)
  • Homeworld (PC)
  • Deus Ex (PC) FPS
  • Anachronox (PC) RPG
  • No One Lives Forever 2 (PC)
  • Jet Set Radio (DC)
  • Shenmue II (DC)
  • Headhunter (DC)
  • Grandia II (DC)
  • Skies of Arcadia (DC)
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (DC)
  • Tokyo Highway Battle II (DC)*
  • Carrier (DC)
  • Resident Evil: Code Veronica (DC)
  • Blue Stinger (DC)
  • Dino Crisis (DC)
  • Rayman 2 (DC)
Legend:
Italics - Never Started / Bold - Started / Strikethrough - Finished / * - Carried over from previous month(s) / Violet - Does not count toward monthly tally
There have been a few games I put on the list and realized I would never get to them, so they've since been sold or traded for other games. The list above doesn't even count all the sports games I have for the XBox, and all my online gaming with XBL. And because I was so far behind in my PSX games, I scrapped them from the list altogether. Don't even mention the N64. I think the only system I was able to keep up on was the Saturn, no question that has been my favorite gaming console.

So I can say I definitely feel your pain.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.