Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Enterprise - 2/5/03 - AIDS Allegory

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-03, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enterprise - 2/5/03 - AIDS Allegory

Just a reminder that the episode that deals with an AIDS-like disease and the stigma of those with it is airing this week. It's a classic Trek story.

TV Guide put it on their Don't Miss list for the week and their description of the episode gives it praise.

In this affecting AIDS allegory, Jolene Blalock exudes a cool vulnerability as T'Pol, who reveals that she has a rare illness linked to a sect of Vulcan outcasts.

The pointed episode, which continues the Star Trek tradition of addressing social issues through its sci-fi storylines, finds T'Pol confronting the symptoms and stigmas involved with Pa'nar's syndrome. It's a brain ailment associated with mind melders---the telepathic, emotional Vulcans ostracized by their logical, unemotional peers. Wary of the disgrace that disclosure might bring, T'Pol hides her condition while Dr. Phlox (John Billingsley) discreetly consults Vulcan physicians about treatment.
Old 02-01-03, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the SPOILER!!!!
Old 02-01-03, 03:03 PM
Banned

Too much too little too late. Enterprise in an embarrasment to the trek Franchise.
Old 02-01-03, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by cooper2000
Too much too little too late. Enterprise in an embarrasment to the trek Franchise.
actually Voyager was the embarrasment. Enterprise just dances on the grave.
Old 02-01-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Is T'Pol just the worst Vulcan ever or what? Every time I turn on the show that woman's about to break down or snap on somebody.
Old 02-03-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 155 Posts
I thought the allegory would be that watching Enterprise is like dying a slow death from an incurable disease.
Old 02-03-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Nathan Gervais
Enterprise just pisses on the grave.
I hope you don't mind a slight correction to your quote.

Old 02-03-03, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 421 Likes on 365 Posts
I afraid that with Enterprise and the poor showing of the latest Trek movie we are seeing the END of the Trek Universe. -sigh-

But what a run it was...
Old 02-03-03, 10:30 PM
Suspended

Unfortunately the AIDS allegory, according to descriptions for the ep, is B-Sided with a Humorous story of Trip trying to get away from the Advances from what he thinks is one of Dr. Phlox's Wives. I don't know but if you're gonna tackle a serious subject why bookend a farce onto it?
Old 02-04-03, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,788 Likes on 1,919 Posts
Originally posted by Sdallnct
I afraid that with Enterprise and the poor showing of the latest Trek movie we are seeing the END of the Trek Universe. -sigh-

But what a run it was...
Trek will never end. Paramount will beat that dead horse into the ground.

There will always be a Star Trek series. Even if it's a half-hour sitcom. In ten years, imagine "King of Queens" with the leads in Starfleet uniforms, and the friends as Klingons, and Jerry Stiller with Ferenghi ears.

Mark my words...
Old 02-04-03, 06:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Harsh.

I still see the Trek franchise with a lot more respect than the Star Wars one. And these guys have done more than 5 episodes.

(I’ll be watchin’ it and if it sucks, then it sucks. No big deal.)
Old 02-04-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dave Scarpa
Unfortunately the AIDS allegory, according to descriptions for the ep, is B-Sided with a Humorous story of Trip trying to get away from the Advances from what he thinks is one of Dr. Phlox's Wives. I don't know but if you're gonna tackle a serious subject why bookend a farce onto it?
Yeah, I'm guessing you got that from EW. They at least still gave it a B+ rating despite the questionable B-Story. They should have just spent the whole episode focused on the A-Story.

Matt
Old 02-04-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Trip is a trip!
Old 02-04-03, 12:38 PM
razorbackfan

Title: Stigma
Production Number: 140 Airdate: 2/5/03
Written By: Rick Berman and Brannon Braga (story);
Directed By: David Livingston

Guest Cast:

Melinda Page Hamilton as Feezal
Michael Ensign as Dr. Oratt
Jeffrey Hayenga as Dr. Yuris

Spoiler:
In "Stigma," airing February 5th, Doctor Phlox goes in search of information about a Vulcan disease afflicting T'Pol while at an interspecies medical conference. The disease is frowned upon in Vulcan society and when T'Pol is "outed" and threatened with recall to Vulcan, Archer calls for a hearing and one of the Vulcan doctors at the symposium cracks under the lights and reveals he suffers from the same disease. T'Pol contracted the disease when she was forced into a mind meld last season with another infected Vulcan. T'Pol is allowed to remain on the Enterprise and the Vulcan doctor is recalled to Vulcan.

In the episode, T'Pol is diagnosed with Pa'an Syndrome and Doctor Phlox seeks information on the disease from a Vulcan contingent on a nearby planet participating in the Interspecies Medical Exchange. Vulcans with the disease are stigmatized in their society so Phlox must be secretive about his need for the information.

Meanwhile, one of the doctor's three Denobulan wives -- "Feezal" -- comes aboard to help Trip install a neutron microscope in Sickbay. This will be the first Denobulan aside from Phlox seen in the series and was played by actress Melinda Page Hamilton.

Braga says he hopes the episode prompts thought, even if the analogy isn't instantly apparent.

"We're not here to provide answers to questions," Braga said. "We're here to provoke thought about an issue. This episode stands on its own. Even if you don't draw the analogy, it's still an interesting episode, because it deals in general with prejudice. The metaphor will be clear to a lot of people."

ENTERPRISE star Bakula says he thinks fans will enjoy the way "Stigma" turns Vulcan in an unexpected fashion.

"What's great about this episode is it turns the whole Vulcan mind-meld on its ear," the actor said. "It's just going to freak people out. Their favorite thing about Vulcans, forever, has been this mind-meld ability, and [now here's] the fact that, in its genesis, it was not perceived on a good light in Vulcan. It's great lore to add to the collection."

Last edited by razorbackfan; 02-04-03 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-04-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 421 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally posted by Kudama
Harsh.

I still see the Trek franchise with a lot more respect than the Star Wars one. And these guys have done more than 5 episodes.

(I’ll be watchin’ it and if it sucks, then it sucks. No big deal.)
Oh, don't get me wrong. I hope Trek NEVER ends. I believe it is one of those shows you really shouldn't look at the bottom line.

However, every company, every network IS watching $$. So that is why I fear we may be nearing the end...

HOWEVER, most critics, fans, etc feel that STNG "turned the corner" in that 3rd-4th season. Both in it's quality and in making money. As evidence look at Deanna Troi in the very 1st episode of STNG. VERY short skirt, big hair, almost a little "ditsy". By seasons 3 and 4 she had a drastic change. Same could be said for Riker, Date and Picard. All were noticably more relaxed, rounded (not talking Riker's weight). Not to mention the stories became more in depth (and some good "funny" shows).

Hopefully Enterprise can "turn the corner" as well.
Old 02-04-03, 01:28 PM
razorbackfan

I look for the Trek franchise to end with the exception of a movie now and then. A series based on the Starfleet Academy has been kicked around, but Paramount is not doing well, and there's been talk of unloading its UPN network. If another series was developed, I would see it going right into syndication. The 3 REAL networks would never carry a trek series.
Old 02-04-03, 02:46 PM

I'd still bang her, even though she is a wee bit to emotional.
Old 02-05-03, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most of the Canadian viewers have said the episode was pretty good, but Bakula turns in yet another unremarkable performance.

Matt
Old 02-05-03, 01:13 AM
Banned

I read about the humorous B story too. What the ...?
I am surprised they are going to have a trip to the decotamination chamber in this one.

Oh and the worse Vulcan ever was Tvok.
Old 02-05-03, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cooper2000
Oh and the worse Vulcan ever was Tvok.
You've GOT to be kidding! Why? Because he didn't have big tits?

The worst Vulcan would be that VERY cranky one from the first episode.
Old 02-05-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TVGuide.com

"Overall, Enterprise's intentions are good and more than compensate for any dramatic lapses. It's refreshing to see a serious issue treated with understated grace rather than preachy self-righteousness. "Stigma" may only be one small step for TV, but it's one giant leap for Enterprise."

http://www.tvguide.com/tv/review/

Matt
Old 02-05-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The episode was done fairly well. Bakula seemed able to convey emotions convincingly for the first time this season.

Matt

Last edited by MvRojo; 02-06-03 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-06-03, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Other than the dull "B" story and the not-very-subtle AIDS comparison, this was actually one of the better episodes this season.
Old 02-06-03, 08:13 AM
razorbackfan

I thought it was exceptionally well written and acted. The part when Dr Phlox and his wife laughed and said "Humans" was hysterical.
Old 02-06-03, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Once again showing itself to be ahead of its time, this show is going into forbidden territory that hasn’t been seen since “Plato’s Stepchildren.” As this episode demonstrates, and as Jerry Falwell and his Fundamentalist cronies will soon find out, AIDS is not just for “queers and hop heads” any more. Research is showing that AIDS is becoming pandemic and will soon have an effect on all areas of society, not just the gay and intravenous drug community.

What I think is unfortunate, however, is that by portraying N’Pol as a “rape” victim, it may cloud the issue considerably, suggesting that that’s the only way for a “straight” person to be infected. But, I suppose, no show is perfect, and the basic message has far more potential for good than this slight flaw can damage.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.