Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Why doesn't Microsoft make Freelancer for XBox?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't figure this one out...Microsoft is sitting on arguably the best space shooter franchise right now and they aren't making it available for their flagship game machine. How come? Is it because they are trying to distinguish between console and PC? Still, Starlancer was a great game for the Dreamcast with online capabilities, and this one begs for XBL support...

BTW, who would think Earth and Beyond would make a good MMORPG for XBL? It's not overly complex, and would probably configure well to an XBox controller. Plus, the addition of the voice communicator would rock in squadron-based missions.

Just my $0.02...

Jeremy
Old 01-31-03, 03:54 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe because Freelancer's new point-and-click space combat system won't translate very well to the X-Box? And geez, they're taking long enough to just get FreeLancer out on ONE platform. Any more than that and we might be looking at a 2010 release.
Old 01-31-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My $.02 is that Freelancer is a shell of the game it was going to be. Freelancer went straight off my buy list when Microsoft totally bought Digital Anvil and jettisoned the Roberts brothers from it. Gone was Chris Roberts, the creator of Wing Commander, who had made Freelancer sound like the next step in the Privateer-type game. Now the game is far less ambitious than originally planned (yes, it kind of sounds like Halo, but at least the creator wasn't jettisoned in Halo's case). I generally like Microsoft...I just don't understand why they ever jettisoned Roberts other than StarLancer was probably not as good of a seller as many thought it would be.

Chances are Digital Anvil will be no more once Freelancer actually comes out (March currently). I warn you to not buy this...even previews don't sound very promising. I'm personally glad it is not coming to the X-Box. No Chris Roberts (although he is a "consultant"...hahahaha, yeah right) no money from me.
Old 01-31-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Remember, Digital Anvil made Mech Assault...

Jeremy
Old 01-31-03, 04:43 PM

Actually FASA made Mech Assault.

And AgtFox must be seeing different previews of Freelancer than I have. I've seen nothing but good press for it.

-Naan
Old 01-31-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh right, I meant Brute Force...thanks.

Jeremy
Old 01-31-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Along the lines of a space sim -- particularly an online one -- why don't they revamp Allegiance for Xbox. I had the chance to close beta this game. Great fun, and something that would definitely work on a console. Minimal out of ship playing. Lots of teamwork, would make great use of the mics, etc. They could update the graphics a little and/or streamline them for smoother online play. Limiting things to broadband would eliminate most of the problems that the PC version had.

Course, a good game could easily take longer than an hour, but you could always let the players limit the map size -- say 20 systems or something like that -- customizable. A game like that would really increase community -- clans, teams, etc.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-02-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Naan
And AgtFox must be seeing different previews of Freelancer than I have. I've seen nothing but good press for it.
First IGN preview did not give it a very good light...Penny Aracde didn't give it a whole lot of love either, but I digress.
Old 02-02-03, 11:08 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was Chris Roberts given the boot, or did he leave by his own choosing?
Old 02-02-03, 11:28 AM
Mod Emeritus

It seems to me that MS is making a very concerted effort to keep their PC games off of the XBox. I for one would love a Links game for it but it doesn't look like we'll see one anytime soon.

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 02-02-03 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-03-03, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling
Was Chris Roberts given the boot, or did he leave by his own choosing?
Good question. Conventional wisdom would say he got the boot (and MS offered him a "consultant" job for Freelancer). Both Erin and Chris Roberts (along with others) were out of Digital Anvil when MS bought the rest of it that they did not own.

To me Freelancer lost all hope when Chris Roberts left or was booted...simple as that.