More fuel for the Bonnie Hammer/Farscape debate

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 01-31-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this short article from TVGuide.com:

"Now this is boldly going. Not only is the Sci Fi Channel mounting a lavish remake of Battlestar Galactica, but the cable network is trying to do so without the aura of doom and gloom that hung over ABC's 1978-80 series like a dark cloud. "We're going for a very stylistic, non-apocalyptic look," Sci Fi prez Bonnie Hammer tells TV Guide Online. "It isn't going to be that kind of grey battleship again, and it isn't going to be Star Trek-y, either."

For that matter, neither is the update going to spotlight leading men who are quite as long in the tooth as the original's Lorne Greene. Rather, says Hammer, Sci Fi's Battlestar will be "much more human and a bit younger. It's going to have a different kind of style and sensibility." In other words, the show will set its phasers on "fun" and try to cast the next Hayden Christensen, not another Richard Hatch or Dirk Benedict.

Hammer knows that she and her cohorts have undertaken a mission: seemingly impossible. But if Sci Fi wants to put stars in the eyes of the next generation of Star Trek groupies and appease disgruntled fans of the canceled Farscape, they must give it a shot. "We're trying to reinvent the space opera," she explains. "They're very hard to do right now. As you know, [Fox's recently-axed] Firefly had a very tough time.

"What was wonderful about Farscape, in its day, was that it was fresh," she continues. "It was a different kind of space opera, and it didn't feel like any other space opera that was out there. What we need to do here is reinvent it yet again." — Ben Katner"

link

Ummm, Farscape in it's day? . Interesting.........
Old 01-31-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw a good retort to this a few days ago but forget where it was.

She's so full of **** it's scary.

das
Old 01-31-03, 12:26 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
Re: More fuel for the Bonnie Hammer/Farscape debate

Originally posted by Chew9
. "It isn't going to be that kind of grey battleship again, and it isn't going to be Star Trek-y, either."
Anyone want to bet it doesn't even take place in space
Old 01-31-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who in the hell put her in charge of the network? I don't think she knows SH*T about Sci-Fi.
Old 01-31-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Um, - ooo-kay.

So, Farscape is too expensive to produce in an on-going capacity.

But we're just giddy about spending a "butt-ton" of cash to develop a "Dawson's Creek" re-make of a failed "sciffy" series from the "70's?"

And she's going to do it by ignoring the only elements of that failed "sciffy" series that actually worked?

Wow.

She is like a dick-less Rick Berman.

Last edited by grunter; 01-31-03 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-31-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by grunter
Wow.

She is like a dick-less Rick Berman.

Old 01-31-03, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For fun, here's some Hammer Talk:

Taken from a June 22, 2000 chat (the names have been changed to protect the hellspawn) ...

<Moderator> : What has been your personal favorite series that you can't wait to go home and watch on SCI FI?
<EvilBitchMonster> That's a tough one.
<EvilBitchMonster> And unfair to ask me :-) But at the moment I'm partial to Farscape.
<EvilBitchMonster> And The Invisible Man is starting to compete.

And some more horseshit ...

<Moderator> : What type of credentials does this "John Edward" fellow have? I would hate to think that you hired some fake psychic hack.
<EvilBitchMonster> At first I was a total doubter, but he completely won me over.
<EvilBitchMonster> We would never put a charlatan on the air, especially on SCI FI.

das
Old 01-31-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People on the Battlestar sites have been afraid of this sort of approach since Day 1.

For about a decade now, they've been going to conventions, writing letters, etc. -- trying to drum up support for a continuation of the show.

What do we get? A "re-imagining" of the show, with a hip, young cast and a "non-apocalyptic look". Give me a break...

Who, exactly, is this show aimed at?

"Farscape, in its day". Oh, dear Lord. When was "its day"? 6 months ago? Yeah, Farscape... that show is so 2002. Time to move on. More and more I am unable to put into words how much I frickin hate that woman and her bastardized station.
Old 01-31-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's also been mentioned that Starbuck is now female. Do we really need a Dawson's Creek-like romance to bloom between Apollo and Starbuck?

Old 01-31-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

Why do you guys do this to me? I can't continue to read this **** from her...

It's bad enough at the end of every new ep of Farscape & with every promo for "the Dream Team" my anger increases...

I second WWE Jedi's question:

Who put this bitch in charge??
Old 01-31-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Bonnie's idea of re-inventing the space opera is to have it taped before a live audience, without any of those actual effects one has to pay for. Or one of those pesky scripts.
Old 01-31-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By the way, if anyone cares about the specific issue of the Battlestar revival (and aren't sick and tired of writing letters at this point), here is the campaign:

http://www.battlestargalactica.com/f...val/index.html

And here is an insightful review of the script:

http://www.demonslayers.org/Battlest...riptReview.htm
Old 01-31-03, 03:01 PM
Banned

Wow, she was insulting Hatch and Benedict too. They were young and hunky for their time. Whats up with that analysis?

Soooo, she did away with Farscape and is pouring money into Battlestar. Something that is relates to the old series in name only. Farscape was at least a new idea and original.

I would rather see a continuation not a remake.

Man she puts her foot in her mouth a lot.
Old 01-31-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
To suggest that Farscape has gotten "less fresh" over the years is ludicrous to the extreme. The fact that Kemper & co. have continued to push boundaries - sometimes, admittedly, to excess - seems a far more likely reason for its demise.

I've tried to avoid falling into "Bonnie Bashing" mode during this whole, sad affair. But, damn... statements like that just send my 'bullshytometer" into the red zone.