Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New LivePhish Shows Up + Feb. Tour Pre-Orders!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.livephish.com

looks like they're releasing the entire Feb. tour in advance, and also, 3 new shows up in the archives: 10.31.90, 12.07.97, & 10.07.00.

and now, time to vent...

i'm VERY displeased with their selections for the new 'from the archives' shows.. here's why:

10.31.90: they already released this in '99 (mp3), so, nothing new...

10.07.00: was free (mp3) when livephish.com was first announced. now $$.. shn is now available though... will i bite? not sure...

12.07.97: this is what pisses me off the most. the soundboard of this show leaked and spread rapidly a few months back.. this sometimes happens with phish shows. cool. people also put a lot of work into making amazing sounding matrix mixes of this show - also very cool. now, phish has it for sale, which means no more trading the current SBD OR matrix copies floating around. this is one i definitely WILL NOT buy. $$$$$

so, here's hoping for some better shows on the next go-round... or maybe a new batch of real LivePhish cds..

here's also hoping that they practice a little before feb tour and get their act together... last thing i want to do is pre-order more awful shows...

</rant>
Old 01-31-03, 12:19 PM
Banned

Re: New LivePhish Shows Up + Feb. Tour Pre-Orders!

Originally posted by mkdevo

here's also hoping that they practice a little before feb tour and get their act together... last thing i want to do is pre-order more awful shows...

</rant>
So...don't.

No one is making you buy them before they are played. Wait until after the show and check out the setlist, read a couple of reviews, then decide.

I can't believe the nerve of some people getting all pissed about this wonderful service that doesn't even exist for any other musical act on the planet.

All audience tapes of any show are still tradeable. Any soundboard recordings are property of the band, and if they release some of them to buy, great. Don't bitch because they're not consulting you first.
Old 01-31-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Bust
So...don't.

No one is making you buy them before they are played. Wait until after the show and check out the setlist, read a couple of reviews, then decide.
ok, first of all, i'm not 3 years old.

second of all, i'm the type of fan who has to own everything they put out, so i'll buy them regardless.. plus there's a $26 discount if you preorder the entire tour.. i just don't know if i agree with putting every show out.. i'm more for quality over quantity. and i firmly believe that if those hampton show downloads were not announced before hand, there's no way they'd even be considered for a live release.

third, i don't trust reviews. i judge shows with my own ears. i've heard plenty of awful shows with great setlists... and i saw a LOT of people saying how great hampton was, while i thought it was pretty poor. to each his own.

I can't believe the nerve of some people getting all pissed about this wonderful service that doesn't even exist for any other musical act on the planet.
pearl jam.

and who's getting pissed about the service? i think it's a GREAT service.. i just think there's a lot of 'cashing in' going on, and like i said before, i think the quality of the shows is something that should be considered beforehand.

All audience tapes of any show are still tradeable. Any soundboard recordings are property of the band, and if they release some of them to buy, great. Don't bitch because they're not consulting you first.
thanks for clearing up the taping policy. i've only had a full rig since '97, and have only recorded 83 phish shows.

yeah, i definitely think that they should clear any shows that are being considered for release with me first... that's exactly the point i was trying to make...

very sorry for expressing my opinion of the 'from the archives' shows.. i was not aware that i wasn't allowed to have an opinion, let alone vioce it on the internet...

Last edited by mkdevo; 01-31-03 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-31-03, 01:19 PM
Banned

pearl jam.
You can purchase downloadable soundboard recordings from Pearl Jam the day after the show? I didn't know that.

very sorry for expressing my opinion of the 'from the archives' shows.. i was not aware that i wasn't allowed to have an opinion, let alone vioce it on the internet...
Well, now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
Old 01-31-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can purchase downloadable soundboard recordings from Pearl Jam the day after the show?
yes.

http://www.pearljambootlegs.com

Order now and you'll receive a URL to download unmastered MP3's of the entire show the day after the performance. The fully mastered physical CD will be shipped to arrive at your home 7-10 business days after the performance and we'll try our darned hardest to get it there by then.

I didn't know that.
Well, now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
Old 01-31-03, 01:52 PM
Banned

yes.

http://www.pearljambootlegs.com

Ok, so ONE other band does it. It's still an amazing service they are providing for thier fans, and it seems really petty to me to criticize them for it. YMMV.
Old 01-31-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

it is an amazing service, and i'm glad they're doing it! i hope they continue to release every show, as pearl jam is doing (except pearl jam allows the free trading of these shows).

either way, it's great. i just wish they'd put as much effort into the archives portion, that's all i'm saying... but then again, maybe they're holding onto those for future physical LivePhish releases (which i really hope doesn't end).

my only criticizim was with the fact that SBD's of the archive shows have all been previously available.

...and the hampton comment.. but to clarify, what i meant was, if it was 2005 and they were just starting this up, i couldn't see anyone saying 'ooh, we gotta release those 3 hampton shows from 01/2003! those were stellar!'

obviously when releasing every show from here on in (if they do indeed do that), they're not all gonna be good shows.. but they can control what gets released from the past material, and i'm looking forward to seeing what they do with that.. (would love to see a new year's batch, like the halloween batch they released).

that said, i just went on and checked out for 1990-10-31... forgot all about my $12.95 credit i had coming from the NYE run preorder fiasco.. so that may just spark me to buy the 2000-10-07 shns as well..

edit: also good to see they're including .md5's with the shn's now... hopefully they got their sector boundry errors figured out as well..