Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Unreal 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-03, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unreal 2

Okay, so it's gone gold. When's it showing up in the stores? And more importantly, anyone know the minimum hardware specs? I got a 2.1 Ghz P4 with a Radeon 8500. That'd better be enough hardware.
Old 01-31-03, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume that everyones Walmart orders got cancelled. I still plan on picking this up. I believe the scheduled release date is Feb 4.
Old 01-31-03, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
wal-mart is a bastard.
Old 01-31-03, 10:07 AM

hahn that is more than enough for the minimum specs. on their site they recommend 1.2ghz, 384 RAM, Geforce 3 or 8500. something like that.
Old 02-03-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you're all gonna FLIP! when you see/play it! I had never played the first one and had no idea what this one was about (so, no hype or expectations either ) Got it on my r9700 everything cranked and the game is simply jawdroppingly beautiful. But it ain't all graphics (though that in itself is a show) the gameplay rocks too. Keeps reminding me a LOT of Halo Highly Recommended
Old 02-03-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You need a lot of horsepower if Gamespy's review is any indication (Unreal II Review). And I quote:

"The one downside: Unreal II eats up a lot of horsepower, and isn't quite as PC-friendly as UT2003. Playing primarily on a P2.4-Ghz with a GeForce 4 card, we often experienced slowdowns during heavy firefights. Gamers with mid-range 1.0 - 2.0 GHz systems should prepare to do some tweaking to get things running smoothly."
Old 02-03-03, 03:25 PM

>When's it showing up in the stores?<

For North America it's out tomorrow Feb 4th.
UK it's out Friday Feb 7th.

>I got a 2.1 Ghz P4 with a Radeon 8500. That'd better be enough hardware.

You'll be fine!!
Old 02-03-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How about my P4 1.7 GHz with a 64MB GeForce2 MX? I really want to play this game, but not if I have to turn off most of the effects or play it at lower resolutions.
Old 02-03-03, 03:37 PM

>How about my P4 1.7 GHz with a 64MB GeForce2 MX? I really want to play this game, but not if I have to turn off most of the effects or play it at lower resolutions.<

Time to upgrade your video card. You're fine CPU wise, but it's going to push a Geforce 2 MX pretty hard. You could get a Geforce 3 fairly cheap at this point and you would be able to run it with most things turned on and looking good! (and personally, turning off something like shadows will have a minimal impact on your enjoyment).
Old 02-03-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RichardW
How about my P4 1.7 GHz with a 64MB GeForce2 MX? I really want to play this game, but not if I have to turn off most of the effects or play it at lower resolutions.
I would guess that with your current video card you would have to do just that... I would try and borrow a copy first and see how it is going to perform on your card rather than wasting the $50.... or just check the forums and boards around in a week or so, that'll give you a better idea.

Even on my r9700, pc2700 and xp2100 clocked up to 2280Mhz (175x13) If I set it to 1600x1200 it'll get pretty sluggish. 1024x768 and 1280x1024 are alright but with max AA and max aniso and all game stuff cranked, she chugs along at 16x12.
Old 02-03-03, 04:14 PM

played this last night.....after i got killed the 1st time i didnt bother retrying

didnt interest me much
Old 02-03-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone know if there is a demo to download?
Old 02-03-03, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by edstein
Anyone know if there is a demo to download?
they're thinking about it, but they haven't decided on whether they're doing one or not.
Old 02-03-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

the game is definitely going to take some power to run, my slightly dated system (GF3 and XP1800) runs it good with most details turned up, but chugs if I max everything out.
Old 02-03-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Been playing it for a few days now, pretty fun. Runs decent on my system (Athlon XP 2400 and Geforce3 Ti200) but I could use a better video card. Maybe a nice fat-ass Radeon 9700 Pro
Old 02-04-03, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess my machine is finally "old". Pentium III, 1 ghz with a Geforce3 Ti4200 card.
Old 02-04-03, 07:54 AM

The game's got top notch production but I thought the enemy AI and the some of the weapons are too unrealistic (even keeping in mind that they're all futuristic weapons)
for example, the shotgun in the game (love the design) is almost
like a freakin assault rifle, an enemy AI can nail you with a shotgun blast before you can even see'em in your view
most of the time the enemies have pinpoint accuracy and hardly ever miss even when a mile away
also the rocket launcher is too weak
Old 02-04-03, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The game is getting pretty bad reviews all around for the story, you might want to take a look at a few. It's apparently short and uninteresting with so-so gameplay. The graphics are the only place that people give 10's.
Old 02-04-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Feneant
The game is getting pretty bad reviews all around for the story, you might want to take a look at a few. It's apparently short and uninteresting with so-so gameplay. The graphics are the only place that people give 10's.
Actually - it's getting above average reviews - gamerankings has it at a 78% average for all revies. Are you just talking about reviews from disgruntled forum people? I'm not trying to start anything, but I think your post was a little misleading... I still wanna pick it up.
Old 02-04-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Actually - it's getting above average reviews - gamerankings has it at a 78% average for all revies. Are you just talking about reviews from disgruntled forum people? I'm not trying to start anything, but I think your post was a little misleading... I still wanna pick it up.
I think the shortness and no multiplayer aspect is enough to give this game a death knell, wouldn't you? Great graphics only go so far. It's obvious many people have played an illegal version of the game (since it is not truly out until today/tomorrow). I would not call them disgruntled as they have nothing to be disgruntled about.

I actually enjoy forum reader reviews, especially on PC games.
Old 02-04-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why does every game have to have multiplayer to be good. If they wanted multiplayer, they should have gotten UT:2003. Multiplayer is highly overrated IMO. I loved the single player games in MOH and Jedi Outcast. I will wait for a few more player reviews before I make my final desicion.
Old 02-04-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by AgtFox
I think the shortness and no multiplayer aspect is enough to give this game a death knell, wouldn't you? Great graphics only go so far. It's obvious many people have played an illegal version of the game (since it is not truly out until today/tomorrow). I would not call them disgruntled as they have nothing to be disgruntled about.

I actually enjoy forum reader reviews, especially on PC games.
that's my point - this isn't what the official reviews are saying. The official reviews are saying it's basically a good game. Not the best, but good. Read some of the reviews. Or don't - *shrug*

Anyway - it's silly for anyone to complain that this game has no multiplayer - that's why they came out with UT2k3. Also - saying it's short isn't quite a death knell as you put it. Max Payne was short too, but I don't regret playing it one bit. I loved every minute of it. The only thing that I've read in reviews that concerns me are the words "lackluster" and "uninspired" referring to SOME of the levels. Well, most of the levels in the original Unreal were both of those things yet I really liked it. I plan on getting this because I love FPS games and the Unreal series has yet to disappoint me terribly. The reviews only made me decide to wait for a price break (which I usually do anyway as a frugal gamer).

As for forum reader reviews - that all depends on the forum.
Old 02-04-03, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by Gromit
I guess my machine is finally "old". Pentium III, 1 ghz with a Geforce3 Ti4200 card.

Okay, don't laugh.

I have a P2/400 with a Ti4200. Guess it's time to upgrade...
It just seems like a waste, guess I got over my HAVE TO HAVE THE LATEST AND FASTEST era, cause everything works.
Old 02-04-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If Walmart had shipped for $19 or whatever, I'd be happy ... but for $50, it's a definite 'no thanks'.

Anyone remember Wing Commander 3 and 4? Take that formula and apply it to a FPS and you have U2. I honestly think I was stuck longer in unskippable briefings and conversations than I ever actually spent shooting stuff. The ending offered little to no sense of accomplishment ... I was definitely left expecting a 3rd act.

And honestly, I do not believe the graphics were all that impressive (although the fire was nice). For the most part, I prefer UT2k3 which had much better actor motion and deaths. Sure, the models were slightly more cartoony, but at least they executed the style properly. U2 seems less stylistically defined.

In the end, I was playing to win but nolonger enjoying the experience. I kept expecting something big to come along and wow me or a huge plot revelation, but it just tapered off into nothing. Also, how many different types of enemies were there? 6 ... 7? That's what it seemed like, anyway ... where's the variety?

Pete's rating - 6/11
Old 02-05-03, 12:34 AM

just picked it up today, and so far, i'm enjoying it. The graphics are great (IMHO only second to Doom 3). I do have to agree with Bigpete, it's old school, more blowing stuff up than cool scipted scenes like halo and half life and the story so far is umm well, forgetable. Playing it on normal and the AI isn't all that great....basic strafing once in a while, but mostly the enemies will just bum rush you. Ultimately if you're lookin for something revolutionary then you may wanna skip over ut2, but if you're lookin for an old school shooter where you just blow things away, then go for it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.