TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lain on Techtv

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-03, 04:05 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lain on Techtv

Is anybody else watching this? I've always liked anime, but none of the anime on Cartoon Network has really grabbed me. Lain, on the other hand, has been amazing. I find it funny that in less than a month of showing anime, Techtv is already showing a far better show than any of the anime Cartoon Network has ever shown.
Old 01-30-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched 3 eps then stopped. It made no sense to me. Gods a computers, the girl is dead.. shes not dead. Someone's on the monitor. Now they're in the middle of the street. etc etc.

On the other hand, I saw X on Encore:Action and it was great. Plus Metropolis is waiting for me on tivo when I get home.

D
Old 01-30-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cartoon network chops up just about every anime series it shows. Dragon Ball Z is also a different flavor of anime then Lain is. Cartoon network has aired COWBOY BEBOP. I'm sure you would enjoy that a great deal, though they only show it at late hours.

Lets see how ADV handles it's anime series when they get the ANIME network up and running
Old 01-30-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Lain is a personal favorite of mine, has been for years. The atmosphere, plot, artstyle, music - everything - is spot-on, dead-on, perfect. The ending left a few loose ends, but considering how much it covers - so few loose ends is acceptable. The show borders on cerebral scifi horror, and I couldn't love it more.

Was happy to hear that it was picked up - skipped out on seeing it on TechTV though since I moved and no longer have TechTV

X is an awesome television series, the movie though I thought was pretty boring - some excellent art direction though.

Cowboy Bebop is a great show as well, heh.

That all being said, be sure you also check out Crest of the Stars if TechTV ever shows it again - I saw it subbed about a year ago, it's a little slow but the story - for the most part - was excellent.

The Scifi Channel tried to pick up Berserk a year ago, which was also a good show - if a little excessive at times - but the overall story was killer. That being said - talks fell apart when they found out it would be unable to air Berserk in watchable form due to the huge amount of violence (It's medevil times and has to do with bands of mercenaries, of course it's gonna be violent.)

Also - if you ever get the chance - check out Boogiepop Phantom, it bears similarities to lain - mostly in an artistic sense - it is however - almost equally bizarre (if a little less enjoyable than lain, which is still one of the most entertaining shows out there.) Boogiepop is an all out horror flick though - something around 12 stories telling of the same event - each distinctively different and each revolving around the appearance of the phantom known as boogiepop - aka - death.

Cartoon Network will also be showing Evangelion (not sure how many episodes) late next month, and .hack//sign (show that takes place with in an mmrpg, again - slow show with deliberate mood over fast pacing and action.) starts Saturday afternoon.

-Rich

Last edited by RichC2; 01-30-03 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-30-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am really, really not looking forward to CN showing Evangelion. That's going to be a worse hack job than your typical Disney import.
Old 01-30-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Lain...best...Anime...ever. Glad they are showing it.
Old 01-31-03, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RichC2

The Scifi Channel tried to pick up Berserk a year ago, which was also a good show - if a little excessive at times - but the overall story was killer. That being said - talks fell apart when they found out it would be unable to air Berserk in watchable form due to the huge amount of violence (It's medevil times and has to do with bands of mercenaries, of course it's gonna be violent.)

-Rich
Berserk is excellent. One of the best Anime series ive seen in a while.
Old 01-31-03, 02:29 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of the anime I've seen, my favorites have been Evangelion, Rurouni Kenshin, and Berserk. I had been wanting to see Lain for awhile and never got around to it till now. I haven't heard too much about the other anime techtv is showing, so I'd appreciate some other recommendations. I hadn't heard anything about .hack, so I'll try that.
Old 01-31-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Derrich
I watched 3 eps then stopped. It made no sense to me. Gods a computers, the girl is dead.. shes not dead. Someone's on the monitor. Now they're in the middle of the street. etc etc.

On the other hand, I saw X on Encore:Action and it was great. Plus Metropolis is waiting for me on tivo when I get home.

D
If you think its confusing now, just wait till the end! It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember the last several episodes got really confusing and hard to follow. I didn't have much problem following it for the rest of the time.
Old 01-31-03, 03:38 PM
Cool New Member

I'll check it out tonight for sure

the website shows 8 back2back episodes 8-11:30PM PST

http://cgi.techtv.com/tvschedule
Old 01-31-03, 03:55 PM

If you don't think Cartoon Network shows good anime then obviously you haven't watched Cowboy Bebop on Adult Swim late nights.
Old 01-31-03, 04:24 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cowboy Bebop's like Sopranos for me. I can tell both are really well-made, but I don't really like either one. I've seen about half the episodes of both Bebop and Sopranos and I wouldn't mind seeing the rest, but I'm definitely not interested enough to seek them out.
Old 01-31-03, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Encore Action showed X: The Movie from Manga. It sucked. The series is much better.

If Lain follows the same pattern as Crest Of The Stars, then they will be airing episodes 5-8 from 8-10p PT, then 9-12 from 10-midnight.
Old 02-01-03, 02:24 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, .hack was pretty impressive. It seems like an odd choice for timeslot, especially considering that it's widescreen and even had sexual innuendo. I recently saw one of the Lodoss Was series and was really disappointed. It's cool to see a good fantasy show on TV even if it does take place in a mmrpg. I'm glad you told me about it, not sure if I'd have caught it otherwise.
Old 02-02-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Wow, .hack was pretty impressive. It seems like an odd choice for timeslot, especially considering that it's widescreen and even had sexual innuendo. I recently saw one of the Lodoss Was series and was really disappointed. It's cool to see a good fantasy show on TV even if it does take place in a mmrpg. I'm glad you told me about it, not sure if I'd have caught it otherwise.
saw that today as well, was quite entertaining...

I think I'll actually prefer the dub, despite the stiffness -- seems to be a visual show, sitting back absorbing the killer soundtrack and visuals seems to be the best way to enjoy it.
Old 02-02-03, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought .hack took to long to actually get going. One of my biggest complaints of the series when I saw it much like Noir, is that it took to long to actually get hooked on it.

I don't look forward to how CN destroys Evangelion.
Old 02-02-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

lupin III at midnight on cartoon network, great fun.
Old 02-27-03, 08:42 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you want help understanding lain go to:

www.misslain.homestead.com
Old 02-27-03, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I checked out Lain on DVD. Confusing is the first word that comes to mind all right.

Anyone see Reign on Cartoon Network? It's also rather a confusing show, but plenty of blood/violence with Aeon Flux-like animation.
Old 02-27-03, 03:56 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wanted to check out Reign because it's by the same guy who did Aeon Flux, but I've been flipping between Letterman and Kimmel. How many episodes of Reign are there and does anybody know when they'll show the first episodes again?
Old 02-27-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
aw man....i saw the thread title and thought maybe Chasey Lain had crossed over - now THAT i'd watch