Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Good brands of CDR media?

Wolfchild
01-30-03, 11:12 AM
Have a new LiteOn 52x24x52 CDRW drive coming from newegg and just wondering what brands are recommended to use. Are TDK, Memorex, Sony, Maxell, Verbatim all okay? I may wait till I find some of them on sale but it would be good to know in advance.

I bought a 50-pack of Optimum brand the other day at Staples, $1 after rebate...hope they are okay but for the price I thought it was worth it.

icondude
01-30-03, 11:50 AM
The current crop of TDK, Maxells, Memorex's, and Sony's are all made in Taiwan and should be avoided. However should you happen to see one of these brands and it says "Made in Japan" on it then they are high quality Tayio Yuden CD-R's which you should purchase. Fuji uses them exclusively, I think. I also have some old Imations (4X) and new Memorex's that are also Taiyo Yuden CD-R's. I think the Made in Japan Memorexes are just about the best deals out there on Tayio Yudens and usually easy to find on sale. But even the same storer same size package there might be some made in Taiwan and some made in Japan and just buy the Japanese ones.

BigPete
01-30-03, 02:40 PM
I love K-Hypermedia (kingston) thosands of cds without a problem in Mitsumi and Plextor drives.

Wolfchild
01-30-03, 03:07 PM
Okay I'll be looking for the Japanese manufactured media from now on...but what exactly is wrong with the Taiwanese media? Just would like to know. More coasters or something?

FWIW, I've owned an old HP 4X CDRW for the last four or five years and it never made a single coaster that I can remember even using any old media on it. I will definitely look for the Made In Japan media if it's better but am just curious as to why.

BT
01-30-03, 05:26 PM
There is a perception out there that Japanese-made CDRs (namely Taiyo Yudens) are of a better quality than the mass-produced Taiwanese-made CDRs. I think for you it boils down to what you'll be using these for and whether or not this "quality gap" is a concern. I think if you stick to name brand media you should have no problems using the Lite-On drive you own.

However if you are going to be backing up lots of important data and whatnot, then you might want to be specific in choosing the Japanese-made CDRs for quality and longevity.

Just my $.02

-BT

Mr. Salty
01-30-03, 05:54 PM
I'll second the recommendation of Fuji-branded Taiyo Yuden. Best Buy has them on sale about once a month. Last week I bought 100 for $7.99 after rebate.

Besides initial quality, which can be fine with Taiwanese discs (almost all are made by one of two companies --- Ritek or CMC Magnetics), you get into the longevity issue. What is good now may not be playable in five years.

The tests I've read on various Web sites indicate TY and Mitsiu discs don't degrade as fast as those from Ritek and CMC Magnetics.

Wolfchild
01-30-03, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like I'll be keeping an eye on Best Buy for a little while till I find a good 50 or 100 pack of the TY :)

icondude
01-31-03, 09:00 AM
I can second the longevity comment above. If you don't plan on using the disk very long then the Taiwan disks are OK. Otherwise use the TY disks. I have TY's that have sat in my car CD changer since 1996, even during the summer and they still play perfectly.

jumbojp
01-31-03, 12:02 PM
Imations are nice too, burned hundreds with no problems, no idea if they are taiwanese or japanese made though

Best Buy has them on sale for $7.99 100/pk after rebate alot

icondude
01-31-03, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by jumbojp
Imations are nice too, burned hundreds with no problems, no idea if they are taiwanese or japanese made though

I've used plenty of Imations. The old ones (4X) are Tayio Yudens, which are very good. The new ones are made in Taiwan and they suck. I've had a few of them fail already.

The Void
01-31-03, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by jumbojp

I bought a spindle of Imations this past year made by CMC Magnetics. They were the WORST CDR I've ever bought. Every disc I burned at 16x was full of errors. These were 24x media I believe. Some discs just could not be read by an drive, some would read fine for about half the disc then the reading would slow down to like 2x to read through the errors.

They were burned on a TDK Velocd 16/10/40 and also on a Plextor 16/10/40a with the same results.

mikehunt
01-31-03, 02:17 PM
I've used Memorex and Imation the most lately with no problems in an 8x drive
in the past I had used the dark blue Verbatim discs that Sams club carried, but ther was back on my old 2x burner