TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

ABC Monday night lineup bombs... including The Practice

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ABC Monday night lineup bombs... including The Practice

http://tv.zap2it.com/news/dailyniels...ngs.html?29869

Despite being one of ABC's most popular shows and despite ads during the Super Bowl hyping it's new "Super Monday" timeslot... The Practice landed in 4th place last night.
Old 01-28-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Way to go, ABC!

They take one of their few shows that does well and tanks it!

IS ABC really a network or is it just a money-laudering front for organized crime or something?

They seem like they want to fail.
Old 01-28-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Isn't the move of The Practice a strategic one to entice its failure for upcoming negotiations, aka the Hammer Maneuver?

Not surprising in the least that ratings sucked for this move. This is the first time in 6+ years that I actually didn't watch the show. It's been a hollow shell of its former glory the last few years, but Sundays at 10pm was easy enough to watch each week. The shake-up of the move was enough for me to finally throw in the towel.

das
Old 01-28-03, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My tivo picked it up for me so I didn't have to worry about the move. However, I have to agree.. the new blonde chick still annoys the heck out of me. The episode itself was pretty decent, I almost thought they were gonna lose.
Old 01-28-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard they did this because they were trying to renegotiate the cast's contract in order to pay them less. By moving to Monday, they get lower ratings and in turn have to pay less to keep them. In the end, I think ABC will just drop this show; it's gotten too stale IMO.
Old 01-28-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
new time kind of sucks, I was always home at 10 on sundays, but 9 on mondays will be harder due to work
Old 01-28-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by TK-421
The episode itself was pretty decent, I almost thought they were gonna lose.
They certainly should have. This one should have gotten a JNOV like Jimmy's case against the power lines a few years ago. Better yet, it should have been thrown out before it started.
Old 01-28-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hmm, I watched Varitas(sp?): The Quest and Miracles (on tape because Jill Hennessy is still 'must see' tv in my book) they they both seemed to be a (small) step up from what I've come to expect on Monday nights this season. Neither blew me away, but I'll give them a chance for a few weeks.

I stopped watching the Pratice shortly after they had the singing client and the plotlines about religous morality (instead of legal ethics which is what the show had been based on up until that point).
Old 01-29-03, 12:22 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I stopped watching a couple years ago, but I caught the reruns during the summer and thought about catching it with it's move to Monday. There's nothing on TV on Mondays, whereas on Sunday it was going up against Boomtown, Adult Swim, and whatever they're showing on HBO. I thought it was a good move, but apparently not. People complain when networks move shows around, but I think it's a good thing as long as it doesn't happen too often. Fox killed Firefly by leaving it on Friday.
Old 01-29-03, 12:33 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts
I imagine it will pick up some when Joe Millionaire is over. My mom always watches the Practice and I know she skipped it for Joe Milionaire.
Old 01-29-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Practice is a secondary show for me, I tape it upstairs on my secondary ReplayTV.

In the old slot it was up against Boomtown, and in the new slot it's up against Everwood. I now Everwood gets repeated on Sundays but it's such a good show, I want to see it when it first airs.

Anyone who needs something to watch on Monday nights and is settling for The Practice, I urge you to give Everwood a try. I wasn't even going to watch it when it started this season, but I gave decided to just watch the pilot. However, it's become my favorite new show of the season.
Old 01-29-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I used to love this show two years ago (which means I got into it at about what...the 3rd or 4th season?)

But it has gone down in quality and realism. I think the whole thing with Hinks was good a couple years back, though.

But it's going against Joe Millionaire and Raymond. Of course it'll get killed.
Old 01-29-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i stopped watching starting with last season. it just got tired.
Old 01-29-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't watch because, I'm so used to it being on Sundays. Time switches usually kill a show for me.

Remember when Fox moved The Simpsons to Thursday (right?) to compete with Cosby?
Old 01-29-03, 01:33 PM

Does anyone have access to the David E. Kelley interview that he did recently with variety magazine? I am interested to read what he has to say on the matter, but cannot gain access to the whole article.

-C00Ki3
Old 01-29-03, 02:28 PM

Some of the interview is here:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ings_monday_dc
Old 01-29-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by TK-421
Some of the interview is here:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ings_monday_dc
"It's hard to believe that they could act in such bad faith," Kelley said. "But no matter how low you set the bar of intelligence for ABC, they manage to slither under it ... . It's folly to try to guess what's in their heads because that would start with the presumption that there's something (in them.)"